Author Topic: Some questions regarding unit settings  (Read 3957 times)

Zakilevo

Some questions regarding unit settings
« Topic Start: August 20, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
1. Why do marshals always keep cavalry units in the back?

I know they don't want to lose cavalry units to archers but what if cavalry units charge first then infantry units follow them and archers finish the rest?
(settings will probably like this:
Cav: Front - Wedge - Aggressive
Inf: Front or Middle - Line - Aggressive
Arc: Middle - Line - Aggressive)

2. If I am attacking an army about the same size with following settings what would happen?

My army's settings 5k CS
Inf - Front - Wedge - Aggressive
Arc - Middle - Line - Aggressive
Cav - Middle - Wedge - Aggressive

Enemies' settings 5k CS
Inf - Front - Line - Aggressive
Arc - Middle - Line - Normal
Cav - Rear - Wedge - Aggressive

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions regarding unit settings
« Reply #1: August 20, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »
The cavalry gain a charge bonus for each movement they make before attacking (as in speeding up before charging). That is why they are put in the rear: so when they charge, they do it much harder.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: August 20, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
really? I never knew that. should really consider that from now on.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 20, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
The cavalry gain a charge bonus for each movement they make before attacking (as in speeding up before charging). That is why they are put in the rear: so when they charge, they do it much harder.

really? that's new to me as well, though I've been using cavalry forever :P I thought they're put in the back simply to time their clash with the enemy infantry, so they charge at the same time as your own infantry.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 20, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

This is not true.

Cavalry gain a bonus for hitting the enemy while they charge.  Cavalry will charge (moving 2 lines in a round) if the enemy is 2 lines away.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 20, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »
People put cavalry in the back because they move faster than infantry, so if you put them in the front they'll attack on their own and get slaughtered (cavalry tend to be greatly outnumbered). If you time them to hit with or after the infantry, it's more likely they'll live.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 22, 2011, 01:53:53 AM »
People put cavalry in the back because they move faster than infantry, so if you put them in the front they'll attack on their own and get slaughtered (cavalry tend to be greatly outnumbered). If you time them to hit with or after the infantry, it's more likely they'll live.

Exactly, this way you get the bonus damage of the Cav, without them then getting surrounded by enemy infantry before yours can arrive.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 22, 2011, 02:35:40 AM »
This is not true.

Cavalry gain a bonus for hitting the enemy while they charge.  Cavalry will charge (moving 2 lines in a round) if the enemy is 2 lines away.

It's been a while since I fought alongside cavalry... does this mean they only move 1 line if the enemy is farther away?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 22, 2011, 06:27:44 AM »
It's been a while since I fought alongside cavalry... does this mean they only move 1 line if the enemy is farther away?

I believe they move two lines unless they can't (troops in the way, will hit enemy in one line).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

egamma

« Reply #9: August 22, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »
I believe they move two lines unless they can't (troops in the way, will hit enemy in one line).

If they are set to defensive, I think they only move 1 line.

That may be true only if they are defending the region, I'm not sure.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 22, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Cavalry always move two lines per round, unless they hit something first.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 22, 2011, 08:38:30 PM »
There's also (what I consider to be) a bug, where if the enemy is three lines away, your cavalry will move forward two lines, the enemy moves forward one line and you meet and start close combat without getting the charge bonus.