Author Topic: Replied message  (Read 7397 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Replied message
« Topic Start: August 21, 2011, 02:25:10 AM »
I have on a number of occasions had issues attempting to remember what a person's reply is when they send me a reply that only make sense if you know the previous message. 
Could we add a "view original message" to messages which are replies?  Much like in emails.  It would make things much easier to understand. 

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Replied message
« Reply #1: August 21, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
The organization of messages could use some other improvements as well.

For example, seeing all the messages in and out between a certain character, a certain function (King, General, et.) and a message group.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 21, 2011, 03:29:44 AM »
I would like to see a "reply all" function but I have a feeling there is a good reason as to why we don't already have one.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 21, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »
I would like to see a "reply all" function but I have a feeling there is a good reason as to why we don't already have one.

I think that's under 'Frequently Rejected' :) they want to avoid realm-wide spam
Though it would be useful for 'custom msg groups' (like when the sender chose 'send to some')

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 21, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
I think that's under 'Frequently Rejected' :) they want to avoid realm-wide spam
Though it would be useful for 'custom msg groups' (like when the sender chose 'send to some')

Avoid realm-wide spam? I don't see how it has anything to do with spam. It would make sharing and commenting information on a realm-wide level much less of a hassle, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 22, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »
Realm-wide spam is a bit of a different situation than it was 4 years ago. Like I always say, you can't comprehend the message traffic that 150 active people can generate unless you've been there. Now, with realms being so much smaller, I think most of us would welcome more realm-wide message traffic.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #6: August 23, 2011, 10:48:07 AM »

"Reply all" assumes that it is a sub-group of the realm, don't you think? Would hardly be causing realm-wide spam.

If anything, NOT having it causes realm-wide messages, since if there are too many people I just send to realm - clicking all those check boxes makes me twitchy  :o

Realm-wide spam is a bit of a different situation than it was 4 years ago. Like I always say, you can't comprehend the message traffic that 150 active people can generate unless you've been there. Now, with realms being so much smaller, I think most of us would welcome more realm-wide message traffic.

Had that same thought the other day.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 23, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
i do really see benefit in an options that marks messages as replied, makes your work as an active character much easier.
How many times do active characters forget to respond or sometimes even respond double.
I'd personally really like such option.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #8: August 23, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »
i do really see benefit in an options that marks messages as replied, makes your work as an active character much easier.
How many times do active characters forget to respond or sometimes even respond double.
I'd personally really like such option.

That's what the new "mark" messages is for. Mark what you need to reply to; unmark when you actually do.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 23, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »

I rather dislike that the approach taken was to make the process more tedious for the player to send a normal message, in order to curb the number of messages sent.

I guess we got what was wanted? The message flow in many realms was killed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #10: August 23, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
I rather dislike that the approach taken was to make the process more tedious for the player to send a normal message, in order to curb the number of messages sent.

I guess we got what was wanted? The message flow in many realms was killed.

Wrong.

there was NEVER a reply all button.

the only thing that was added was that gold-colored message saying, "Are you sure you want to send this to the whole realm"

a reply all button would have LESSENED realm-wide messaging, and so would have been a good thing.  ( the way the code is written for messaging, I think it is a little arduous to try to change, and so was never added.)

but then again, if you'd ever take a moment to read things carefully instead of just constantly bitching about everything you can think of, you'd already understand that.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 23, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
Wrong.

there was NEVER a reply all button.

Choosing not to implement such a mundane feature after all this time has the same effect as choosing to remove it.

the only thing that was added was that gold-colored message saying, "Are you sure you want to send this to the whole realm"

That's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

a reply all button would have LESSENED realm-wide messaging, and so would have been a good thing.

Care explaining how the hell you figure that?

( the way the code is written for messaging, I think it is a little arduous to try to change, and so was never added.)

Considering that "reply to all" is available elsewhere, and the time for which the game has been running, I don't consider this argument to be valid.

but then again, if you'd ever take a moment to read things carefully instead of just constantly bitching about everything you can think of, you'd already understand that.

A "reply to all" option was never made available because of a fear it would create realm-wide spam, therefore forcing the players to continue using the old method of going back to the message page between each message and selecting "to all realm mates", therefore keeping a method that forces multiple clicks and that breaks a flow that could be quite smooth instead of upgrading to a more user-friendly and faster method that they have adopted for other message groups.

Now, which part did I misunderstand?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 23, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
Choosing not to implement such a mundane feature after all this time has the same effect as choosing to remove it.

I'm sorry; in the context, that makes no sense.

You said that you had noticed a distinct dropoff in message flow after reply all was removed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 24, 2011, 02:21:02 AM »
Is it really that hard to respond to all the good old fashion way? I haven't even noticed it for years, it just the way you do it.

Put it this way. Has there ever been a time that you would have send a message but then thought not to because there was no "reply all" button?
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 24, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
Has there ever been a time that you would have send a message but then thought not to because there was no "reply all" button?
No.

So therefore not having it does not cut down on message traffic. So, why not have it, since not having having it not only doesn't work, it actually adds frustration?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.