Author Topic: Background  (Read 2048 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Background
« Topic Start: September 05, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »
How does that work as a background?

On the southern tip of what was deemed the south, the city of Highwatch served as the primary link between the old world and the colonies. It was not a large city by any means, but was prosperous enough due to trade.  House Delerek of Blackwood was sworn to Highwatch, and Lord Allus Delerek was standard bearer of the Duke of Highwatch.
Lord Allus had three living children. Thomas was his first born heir; Aalton was his second son, and his daughter Katya.  Thomas was knight in the service of Highwatch.  Aalton had been knighted by the Duke a year past, but still studied at the city’s university.
Aged 20 years, Aalton was a small man with pale blue eyes, and blonde hair. He was slightly muscled, but not remarkably so. He was much unlike his father and brother, both men of great stature. His family being a martial one had squired him to Highwatch at a young age.  He had some skill with a rapier, as he was swift and agile. He was not strong enough to hew through armor, but was quick enough to thrust at the more unprotected regions. His master-at-arms was quick to teach him to understand his disadvantages and exploit his skills.
The ship creaked, the sea roared, and Aalton tried to pass the time in his cramped cabin. He surveyed all his possessions. A set of armor hung in the corner, a small chest of gold lay under his bunk, and all his clothing was neatly packed in two chests in the corner opposite his armor. The young man reflected on how much his life had changed in a short time.
Three weeks ago, Aalton had gone into the catacombs of Highwatch. He walked briskly through the darkness thinking about just how clever he was. His mind was a flurry with his plan, and visions of her danced in his head. He had no doubt of his abilities. The young noble would make the heiress of Stormsbane love him. He would restore the former glory of his house through magic and marriage. All he had to do was plant the idea in her mind, and then his plan would roll smoothly from there, but he had to be careful. If he was found using magic he would surely be executed.
A ritual area had been prepared in the deep catacombs below the city. His teacher had taught him that rituals were far less dangerous than true spells, but were not to be taken lightly. He had read from a book what he needed, and had procured all the required items.  All he needed to do was to say some words, and follow through the ritual. He was certain that no one would find him.
He removed the book, which he had “borrowed,” from his teacher, and began to read. His fingers began to glow with spell force. His smiled revealed his true excitement. His plan was going to work. But all at once his elation turn to terror when he heard a squeal behind him. His concentration failed, and his spelled ended with a fizzle.
Aalton spun around, drawing his rapier in a fluid motion. His eyes fell on a serving girl of his father’s city estate. Fury, and terror, took him, and he lunged forward. He thrust his blade just as he had been instructed to do at so many straw men. The sharp point found its mark piercing flesh, muscle, and sinew alike before coming to rest in the young girl’s heart. “Damn you” he roared as she died with little more than a whimper. Another bout of terror seized him, “what if someone else followed me” he though.  If so, he would be burned by the church inquisitors.
No more than a minute later he heard another set of footsteps. More fear that he had ever felt made his blood run cold. He watched the torch bearing shape move closer and closer until he could recognize the approaching man as his father. “Father, it’s me. I need your help more than I ever have before” he yelled.  He father approached surveying the scene, and his face was full of disappointment and fear. Minutes passed before Lord Allus “Son, my son, what have you done?” Aalton told him everything that had transpired, making no attempt to lie.
His father took a few moments to take it in. Staring at the spell book he spook with great grief “Aalton you cannot stay here. I could have shielded you from the murder, but no one can save you if the inquisitors find out what you are.” Aalton nodded before speaking weakly “yes father, but where will I go?” His father looked down intently thinking, and his eyes met his son’s as he spoke “I will go to Duke Gellute, and ask if he can secure a colonial appointment for you. It will not be comfortable, and it will likely be a dangerous task, but you will not die a witch’s death.”
The two men waited until nightfall before leaving the catacombs.  It was best that no one see where they emerged. The tragedy with the young girl could be passed off as the work of lowborn dregs.  But if traces of magic lingered, then surely the church would get involved.  When the pair had returned to their small estate, they separated before retiring for sleep.  They did not speak another word until that morning.
Aalton was awoken by his father who whispered “Your things have been packed, and loaded onto a ship. You will leave Highwatch this morning.  The Duke agreed to help you get a minor court position in the colonies. I have gathered what gold I could for you. It should last you until you can establish yourself. “He could hear his mother sobbing; news of his sudden departure had brought her great sadness.  He tried not remembering the sadness associated with his goodbyes.
His father joined him in the coach ride to the harbor. Aalton looked at the ships as they approached, and saw the family banner hoisted onto one. It was a small galley. “Greatness truly. I’m to be a pawn in a land of swine, hardly better than the unwashed primitives of the north, but I stay alive” he thought to himself. His father spoke “I have sent Donton with a few guards to accompany you. He is old, but is the most loyal of my guards. He will serve you faithfully. “
The coach came to a stop, and a few seconds later the driver opened the door. Lord Allus looked over  “Goodbye, my son. I love you… more than anything, but you can never return here” his words ending with not so much as a whisper. The young man looked back, and tears nearly filled his eyes. “I love you… Father,  Farewell.”
He walked gangway to the ship, scanning the deck for familiar faces. He noticed his father’s guards, his own guards now. He noticed one other, his teacher.  Tostior Vostnoran, who had been a physician scholar at the Highwatch University, but more secretly was a spell user, who had sensed Aalton's power before he knew himself. Aalton didn’t know why he would be on this ship, or why he would go to the colonies. But he spoke a short greeting before retiring to his cabin. He knew they would have much to speak of later, but here was not the place.
   He put it out of his mind, and tried to go to sleep. This voyage had left him exhausted. He had spent the first 3 days retching up his food, before getting used to sea travel. After that he had tried to drown his sorrows in wine, and strong spirits. He needed rest; he would arrive in the morning. He could not afford to look like a dead man simply from a ship ride.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: Background
« Reply #1: September 06, 2011, 11:25:07 PM »
My only comment would be that it's highly highly unlikely that a book of magic has survived in the south.  Maybe in a secret vault of the witch hunters or some such, but even then it's dubious that a teacher would have one that could assist in a ritual.  Just my thoughts.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Background
« Reply #2: September 06, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »
Agreed. If you plan to be from the south, you better have a really good story about how you survived your first two weeks after discovering you could do magic.