Author Topic: Rise of the Engine  (Read 15456 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Rise of the Engine
« Reply #30: September 01, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
The parser now understands rituals and spontaneous magic. Go and try it out, please.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 02, 2011, 02:03:51 AM »
spontaneous magic (Protect/Death - 2/2/3) (with 4 shifts)Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

* 3.00 concentration expended
    * 4.00 energy expended
    * 3 XP in Protect gained
    * 4 XP in Death gained

I have level 4 Protect and level 3 Death (if that helps).

What does "with 4 shifts" mean?

I broke it trying to verify: {Ritual:#13/#80/10/10/10}.
and also : {Ritual:#130/#8/10/10/10}.
also: {Ritual:#13/#8/10/10/10/10}.

Yes, I was just being silly, but it needed testing! Might want to fix those anyway since it gives me some info you probably don't want me to have.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 02, 2011, 02:07:27 AM »
Tried to cast a ritual, parser recognized it as a ritual but told me I had insufficient concentration to cast it, so there's something wonky unless I completely misunderstand ritual casting.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 02, 2011, 02:26:30 AM »
After putting in a few rituals and sponatneous magic. . . I no longer can add spells from my spell list to the Parser.   The "add spell" button disappeared. X.x

Edit:  This appears related to trying to select a spell.   When I pull the drop down menu for my spells, i can see the "add spell" button at the bottom of the drop down menu, to the right hand side.   However once a spell is selected it disappears.    Also, cannot hover over to select a spell, must be selected using the up/down arrow keys.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:28:37 AM by Phellan »

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 02, 2011, 05:48:10 AM »
Tried to cast a ritual, parser recognized it as a ritual but told me I had insufficient concentration to cast it, so there's something wonky unless I completely misunderstand ritual casting.

I've had the same problem. I don't htink the parser realizes that you intend to use the ritual over a vrey long casting time and as such your concentration at the time shouldn't be taken into account.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #35: September 02, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
actually, spontaneous magic and rituals use the same calculations for concentration and energy as spells do.

I agree they should use less, but not nothing. you can't really relax during a ritual.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 02, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
actually, spontaneous magic and rituals use the same calculations for concentration and energy as spells do.

I agree they should use less, but not nothing. you can't really relax during a ritual.

I agree with this, but what I'm saying is there a way for it to say calculate how long it will take to complete the spell, for a ritual for instance, and then just subtract all additional concentration hours youw ould receive over that time period and stop them from being added. If based upon your calculations for casting rituals, I wanted to cast a 100 power ritual and it was to take lets say 200 hours to cast, there is no way I have enough concentration from "20" concentration.  However, if you take the concentration used over the course of the 200 hour casting period it should be enough. Thus, the casting should work, you just won't have any concentration available for a long time.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 07, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
The "Skills" page (http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/skills) says "...no magician can create an effect with a power level beyond the sum of his levels in the skills required." This should be amended to note that you must have a skill level of at least one in both the Intent and Base. The way it reads now seems to indicate that you don't, as long as your skill in the other is high enough to compensate.

Would it be possible for the spell list page to indicate which spells you can and can't cast? Maybe some kind of shading, green means you can, red means you can't, or something else. Maybe separate lists. Whatever way, it will become tedious to try and remember what spells you can and can't cast. If we use separate lists, the Parser can then offer only those spells your character has the skills to cast. Much more user-friendly.

The Spell list itself, I think, could stand to be much more friendly, as well. It would be nice if it could show me how much energy and concentration it would take to cast the spell, and how much I have right now, too. Otherwise we have to remember the formulas, do the math,and then keep swapping back and forth between our character page and our spell list to figure out what we can cast.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #38: September 07, 2011, 06:28:07 PM »
mostly good ideas. however, in some places you seem to want to do the work of the parser for it. You don't need to be a pre-parser. Just put everything you want to use into the parser and hit the button, and it'll tell you if you can't cast a spell or run out of energy or whatever. No need to estimate that beforehand.

cjnodell

« Reply #39: September 07, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
True, but knowing what you could or could not accomplish is important when deciding what your character will be doing next...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 07, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
Well, maybe I am trying to do too much myself. But what I would at least like is to have the list of spells separated into spells I have the ability to cast, and those that I am incapable of casting at all. Also, the parser spell list drop-down should not list those spells that I am simply unable to cast at all.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #41: September 07, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
No, I agree with both of you. And yes, the parser should not even list spells that you can not ever under any circumstances cast. It should not, however, not list spells you can't cast due to low energy or concentration - that is the answer to Pelgart - you can use the parser to prepare your actions, and for checking if they all work out. That means you can use it in advance, and then, for example, wait until you have enough energy.

cjnodell

« Reply #42: September 07, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
Too true... I am sure some of this will become more clear as we start playing.