Author Topic: Spells Feedback  (Read 51687 times)

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
Re: Spells Feedback
« Reply #15: August 26, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
So you're assertion is that people who are new, and have fewer spells, are smarter than those who have been playing a long time, and have lots of spells. Huh?

I don't think I said anything about the experience level of people involved, just the quantity of spells they own. There will probably come a time where some people who have only just started playing, because of the Council they join, immediately have more spells than someone else who has been playing for a while. In this situation, just because they have more spells, they are new to the game so don't necessarily know exactly what the best way is to use what they have.

With regard to experience, anyone who has been playing longer should have an advantage over new players, so I don't see how that is even an issue.

It seems like you're counting on the scenario where the person who enters all those spells into the system is incompetent. That seems like a flimsy hope on which to base what could be the success/failure of the game.

No, I'm basing it on the scenario where character xxx has y amount of spells, nothing to do with whether they are ones that character created or not. There may well be some characters who never bother creating their own spells because everything they want is already available. Whereas there may well be other characters who just go on a creation frenzy. At the early stages there will be lots of new spells to be created, later on in the game, if there are hundreds of spells already created, the need/idea of new ones may be limited.

So even if I were to enter a spell now, that doesn't necessarily mean that I will get to use it later? If I can't, who can? I mean, if no one can duplicate it, and I can't use it, then what happens to it?

We will find ways to ensure spells get into the game.

Perhaps rather than trust that people will be willing to share their secrets, there should be some threshold of difficulty below which spells can be freely duplicated. Anyone with a functioning brain should be able to duplicate the formula for a Light spell. It's only when you start getting into the higher level/more difficult/complex stuff that duplication is restricted.

A SpellCaster that never shares his secrets is unlikely to have anyone else share things with them, so they could cling to their few secrets but will be missing out on a lot of other opportunities.

Something will be worked out regarding duplication of spells and we will let people know what that is once it is clear to the GMs.

I don't want to be a doomsayer here in predicting an early death to the game. I'm just trying to understand it, and some of this isn't really making sense to me.

Just remember we haven't actually started the game proper yet and hopefully once it is active, things will make more sense.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...