Author Topic: Battle Simulator  (Read 8245 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Battle Simulator
« Topic Start: August 25, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »
I remember that a while ago (maybe a year or two ago), i heard rumors of a battle simulator that used to exist in the past. You could input a few details, formations and settings, and you would get a summary that was as good as a battle report. Did this ever exist? Seems dead useful for a newbie learning about how battles and settings work, and for a marshal planning for battle. It would be an *awesome* addition to the military advisor tab.

edit: Just saw the other topic where something similar was mentioned. Instead of something full blown where one could add every single unit in battle, perhaps one or two units per side? Its all well and good to read stuff on the wiki, but if a new player could actually set formations and match his troop against another, it would be not just cooler but more fun to learn battle tactics and such.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:20:20 PM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Simulator
« Reply #1: August 25, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
This makes my mouth water  ;D
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 25, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
So you could predict the outcome of battles with good accuracy?

No thanks!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 26, 2011, 02:05:19 AM »
Like I said in the other thread, I think a battle simulator is a terrible idea. Totally not within the spirit of the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 26, 2011, 02:46:51 AM »
It might be a good thing for noobs to learn the ropes though. How about a battle simulator enabled for a persons like.. first 10 days of playing or something?
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 26, 2011, 03:57:12 AM »
I've never known of an OFFICAL battle simulator. I am aware of some few people that have developed their own, but from what I know they are far from accurate and are based on best guess info about how the battle system works.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 26, 2011, 04:36:51 AM »
It might be a good thing for noobs to learn the ropes though. How about a battle simulator enabled for a persons like.. first 10 days of playing or something?

Adversity makes for a good tutor ;)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 26, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »

So I would just need to create a new account from a library computer in order to "simulate" the large battle my favourite realm is about to fight. Yeah sure no chance of exploits with this at all.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 26, 2011, 04:45:28 AM »
I like how you have to LEARN about battles through EXPERIENCE.

It really adds weight to commanders who have battled and had experience winning and losing and knowing how to lead armies.

Would definitely be annoying for every Tom, Dick and Harry to know the exact way to win each battle instead of it being a judgement call from the General/Marshal.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #9: August 26, 2011, 05:48:15 AM »
What I wouldn't mind seeing instead of the original suggestion is a war games action or command where units/armies (maybe even between realms) could practice combat between each other.  They'd gain cohesion and experience from it, but likely suffer some inevitable equipment damage.  Could only be done in territories other than cities or towns and also cause some minor infrastructure damage (trampling of fields, etc).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #10: August 26, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
What I wouldn't mind seeing instead of the original suggestion is a war games action or command where units/armies (maybe even between realms) could practice combat between each other.  They'd gain cohesion and experience from it, but likely suffer some inevitable equipment damage.  Could only be done in territories other than cities or towns and also cause some minor infrastructure damage (trampling of fields, etc).

This would be great.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 26, 2011, 08:11:46 AM »

So it would be just like the training button, only involving a mock battle. Not sure about this I seem to recall in the past that Tom was against wars without consequence, that is wars were it was pre agreed that no realm would lose land. This feature might come under that banner.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #12: August 26, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
Not really different than the training matches with dueling now, is it?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 26, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
Not really different than the training matches with dueling now, is it?

That depends on if the new feature would in some way reduce the incentive to have REAL wars. It is mostly irrelevant if anyone ever actually engages in duels of honour, though it would be sad from a RP standpoint.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #14: August 26, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
The mock battles suggestion doesn't have to include other realms. It could just be an internal feature for realms to train their armies.