Author Topic: Battle Simulator  (Read 8243 times)

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Simulator
« Reply #15: August 26, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
The mock battles suggestion doesn't have to include other realms. It could just be an internal feature for realms to train their armies.

no difference to regular training then

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #16: August 26, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
How about it improves unit stats faster at the cost of increased equipment and morale damage?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 26, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »
How about you just go fight someone?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #18: August 26, 2011, 07:53:29 PM »
Then I would lose men...

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 26, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
Ardet nec consumitur.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #20: August 26, 2011, 08:28:55 PM »
A proud cat, too, I shall let you know.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 28, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
I like the idea of mock battles -- include a chance that your troops will die, though, they may be using blunted weapons, but accidents still happen.  From my understanding, having large scale mock battles is historically accurate -- I'm not an expert, so people who are should correct me, but Wikipedia seemed to suggest that this was originally the main feature of tournaments, and that BM style tournaments are a very late medieval evolution of these large scale melees.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 29, 2011, 10:37:04 AM »
I can't see this being a good thing at all.  It just wasn't something that was really done to my knowledge, I'm sure someone can tell me if there are historical examples of large scale mass mock combat, but calling up banners is a major thing.

Also, given the internal politics of a lot of realms, do we really think that if certain knights ended up on the field across from each other using fake weapons that either one would ever retreat before escalating it?  It's hard enough to get people who's career's and advancements are not on the line to accept when they lost a wicker sword fight.

Imagine how this would go down "Ser, you unit would route."  "The Hell it would!"  "Clearly we would have broken you!" "Are you calling me a coward, you knave?" "I'm calling you a lack-witted fool who can't wield a real blade!"  As no knight would risk revealing insufficient zeal for blood and war, the best outcome here is a grudge, more likely a fistfist, but a duel would both not be out of order and given that they are already in arm's length, not refusable.

I know at least one of my characters who in that scenario would only aim to kill people he didn't like.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 29, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Also, given the internal politics of a lot of realms, do we really think that if certain knights ended up on the field across from each other using fake weapons that either one would ever retreat before escalating it?  It's hard enough to get people who's career's and advancements are not on the line to accept when they lost a wicker sword fight.

I would love to see an option, during training matches, to willfully break the training rules and try to wound your adversary, with a proportionate honor loss.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: August 29, 2011, 09:05:25 PM »
No battle simulator or training matches with whole armies will ever be included in the game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 29, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
No battle simulator or training matches with whole armies will ever be included in the game.

Smells like training matches between units are an option :) Army-sized training sessions?

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 30, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »
vonGenf,
I would love that.  I like anything that has a "be a dick," option as it allows someone to, well, be a jerk to someone.

The games thrives on half-jerks, those guys who have your back in war but secretly (or not so secretly) hope you die alone of dysentry.

egamma

« Reply #27: September 01, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
vonGenf,
I would love that.  I like anything that has a "be a dick," option as it allows someone to, well, be a jerk to someone.

The games thrives on half-jerks, those guys who have your back in war but secretly (or not so secretly) hope you die alone of dysentry.

Just find an empty region and someone to fight, and agree to meet there with your units set to murderous.