Author Topic: Duchal powers  (Read 12328 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Duchal powers
« Reply #15: September 06, 2011, 11:52:15 AM »
The way you cling to them and avoid any possibility of losing them, even at the loss of a chance to have a lot of fun and to share that fun  with others makes me think it has some some sort of irrational, Real World importance to you.

Allowing the possibility for others to get a shot a rulership and duchies is one thing. Letting them have it for free is another. I see a lot of people who "cling" to their title in a perfectly IC way, meaning the position is not entirely gridlocked, but their character's actions aim at preserving their power, because if the character got into power in the first place, most likely he's RPed as shrewd politically.

And often, these players are just plain talented at it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #16: September 06, 2011, 12:12:58 PM »
Allowing the possibility for others to get a shot a rulership and duchies is one thing. Letting them have it for free is another. I see a lot of people who "cling" to their title in a perfectly IC way, meaning the position is not entirely gridlocked, but their character's actions aim at preserving their power, because if the character got into power in the first place, most likely he's RPed as shrewd politically.

It's not a question of doing "stupid" things. It's a question of behaving like a normal, hot-blooded, power-hungry medieval noble, and taking a chance when you see one. Or at least playing the game as if you had some purpose beyond logging in once a day and sending gold home, or whatever it is they do.

The problem with too many of these players is they got their titles simply by getting old.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 06, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
The problem with too many of these players is they got their titles simply by getting old.

True

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 06, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »

And at least as often, they're not.  They just happened to be friends (IC or OOC) with the people who came to power, and got given the Duke post because the ruler knew they wouldn't betray him.

And note that while making friends with the ruling elite can be savvy politicking, just happening to be friends with them when they come to power is nothing of the sort.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 06, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »
It's not a question of doing "stupid" things. It's a question of behaving like a normal, hot-blooded, power-hungry medieval noble, and taking a chance when you see one. Or at least playing the game as if you had some purpose beyond logging in once a day and sending gold home, or whatever it is they do.

Or... ambitious people realize that if they got lucky enough to become a duke, they are probably better off if they help put an ally in rulership than if they do it themselves? Dukes have the most power, but rulers always get all the blame.

Blame the game for preventing ruler/dukes in 99% of the cases. If that restriction gets lifted, *then* you would see a lot more dukes also seeking rulership. Otherwise, why risk such a powerful position to try to rule a post-rebellion devastated realm?

I just wonder about those players with characters who have had Rulers or Dukes for real life years and years  -- do you guys brag to women in bars about it or something? Is it on your resume?

The way you cling to them and avoid any possibility of losing them, even at the loss of a chance to have a lot of fun and to share that fun  with others makes me think it has some some sort of irrational, Real World importance to you.

What's up with that?

And you referring to me? Your usage of "you" following a quote of my messages makes it sound like it. I have not had rulers or dukes for years and years. While I got plenty of the other positions before, I only started getting more frequent dukeships this last year or so. As for rulerships, I've had two short experiences with two separate characters in the past (a month or less) and a four-month term one with a third character, 'till I seceded Iato to form Fheuv'n that is and who is now likely to conserve the title for a while.

For those who have been there for a long time, though, I'd say many of them are just too attached to their realm and consider that if they've ruled it to survive and thrive for so long, they must be doing something right, and that if they step down and the wrong person gets it, that person could totally screw up their realm and undo everything they've done. Not malice or greed. Mind you, it's also a risk-averse mentality, so I'm not saying it's something to promote either.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #20: September 06, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Or... ambitious people realize that if they got lucky enough to become a duke, they are probably better off if they help put an ally in rulership than if they do it themselves? Dukes have the most power, but rulers always get all the blame.

Blame the game for preventing ruler/dukes in 99% of the cases. If that restriction gets lifted, *then* you would see a lot more dukes also seeking rulership. Otherwise, why risk such a powerful position to try to rule a post-rebellion devastated realm?

And you referring to me? Your usage of "you" following a quote of my messages makes it sound like it. I have not had rulers or dukes for years and years. While I got plenty of the other positions before, I only started getting more frequent dukeships this last year or so. As for rulerships, I've had two short experiences with two separate characters in the past (a month or less) and a four-month term one with a third character, 'till I seceded Iato to form Fheuv'n that is and who is now likely to conserve the title for a while.

For those who have been there for a long time, though, I'd say many of them are just too attached to their realm and consider that if they've ruled it to survive and thrive for so long, they must be doing something right, and that if they step down and the wrong person gets it, that person could totally screw up their realm and undo everything they've done. Not malice or greed. Mind you, it's also a risk-averse mentality, so I'm not saying it's something to promote either.

I said "I just wonder about those players with characters who have had Rulers or Dukes for real life years and years  -- do you guys brag to women in bars about it or something? Is it on your resume?"

Why do you think "those players" and "you guys"  and "Dukes for years and years" refers to you?

I think you are way off. These are players who got tired of playing years ago, but haven't got the decency to step down and let others get on with the game. Some of them haven't spoken in game in RL years.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 06, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
I just wonder about those players with characters who have had Rulers or Dukes for real life years and years  -- do you guys brag to women in bars about it or something?
Well, you never know. It might work if you find the right girl...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 06, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »
No, they got it because their character has friends.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 06, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
No, they got it because their character has friends.

You can get 'em simply for being old, though. Having the "most days in realm" sure does help with those ducal and rulership elections. That's how my Dwi char went up the ranks, simply by sticking around longer than all those ambitious people who failed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 06, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
"I have served this realm longer than most." is a very popular campaigning argument.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 06, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
No one gets a duchy for having the most days in realm. You get the duchy because you have friends, not because your "days in realm" count is higher than anyone else's. Sticking around longer does give you a greater opportunity to be a distinguished member of the realm. And you've had a longer time to make more friends, and to amass more favors that you are owed.

But doesn't that make sense? Isn't it natural for the leaders of the realms to want to give positions to the people they know and trust? It's not like they are going to pick Kepler McNewbie as the new duke when the guy has only been around for a few weeks. (Well, OK, maybe Ohnar West might do that... :P ) And I know that a few times that I have specifically chosen new players to be dukes, that I've been thoroughly bitched out by other players for picking such young characters/players for such an important role. I remember when I gave the Duchy of Perdan to a newer player one of the knights of the region actually threw a hissy fit and quit.  (I think this was more of a "last straw" kind of thing from a player losing interest but still, his final message was something like "Giving it to someone not even the duchy, when I'm a knight of the region and have a stronger claim is bull!@#$, I quit")

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 06, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
"I have served this realm longer than most." is a very popular campaigning argument.
Yes, it is. It's also used by a lot of people who don't get selected, too. If the people voting, or appointing, don't like you, you're not going to get the spot.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 06, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »
Well, it's not guaranteed to get you the spot every time, but I've seen it work more often than I'd like.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 06, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »
Did people tell you "I voted for him because he's been in the realm the longest"? Or did someone who claimed that they were in the realm a long time get the spot? I mean, how many times has someone popped up and said "I should be elected because I'll try real hard to get the job done."? If they get elected, does that mean that they were elected because people thought they would try real hard?

I can't help but think that the bast majority of election speeches are all just filler text because the candidate has to write *something* to let people know that they are running. Only in rare cases does an election cause much in the way of real debate that will actually sway anyone's opinions. As far as I've seen, most elections go uncontested to the incumbent if they want it. And those that are challenged are often just a few different people stating they are running, with a brief position statement, and little or no realm-wide debate.

Edit: Apparently a large portion of my message got cut off...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:34:29 PM by Indirik »

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 06, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
Well, you never know. It might work if you find the right girl...

I've gotten laid by it before.  Granted, it was my girlfriend, and she plays BattleMaster, but every time my characters pull something awesome off it's pretty much guaranteed that she drags me off to the bedroom.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"