Author Topic: Duchal powers  (Read 12307 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Duchal powers
« Topic Start: August 29, 2011, 05:05:02 AM »
I became a Duke a while back and have been disappointed by the lack of things that can be done within the duchy.  One would think that the Duke would have a similar effect in the duchy that he ruler does in the realm albeit a smaller effect.  I have also thought that holding court would be a beneficial ability of the duke.
I am not certain where to stop with this, but I think it would be very realistic that the duke have powers beyond taxes on the duchy. 

Jinsyn

• Knight
  • time - the indefinite moment eternal
    • View Profile
    • Facebonk
Re: Duchal powers
« Reply #1: August 29, 2011, 07:12:43 AM »
Dukes have plenty of things to do. I feel they actually have more things to do than rulers have. Just counting all the available links under the command tab reveals over 20 things to do!

...How many more things to do would you like?  :o

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #2: August 29, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
Or, you could break from Tradition on a few of the islands, and actually roleplay heavily and build your own faction to usurp the Crown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 29, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
Don't forget that Dukes have all the gold, and are extremely difficult to remove from their position. That's the source of ducal power.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #4: August 29, 2011, 09:05:50 AM »
Don't forget that Dukes have all the gold, and are extremely difficult to remove from their position. That's the source of ducal power.

yeah, too much so, IMHO. but that's another topic

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 29, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
One would think that the Duke would have a similar effect in the duchy that he ruler does in the realm albeit a smaller effect.  I have also thought that holding court would be a beneficial ability of the duke.

that is already there: you can appoint Lords to your ducal regions. This way you can reward loyal nobles and build up a power bloc within the realm :)

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 29, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
Dukes are already way powerful... if you don't think so it's probably through a fault of your own.

And I don't mean to sound like Anaris when I say that.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 29, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
"hi, lord. here's your tax bill"
---

the other interesting thing that i noticed recently (well.. maybe from a few months ago) is that festivals in cities buffs regions in duchy. or at least the adjacent one within same duchy anyway..
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 29, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
Festivals were broken for the longest time. Like, from the day they were first added they were broken, and did nothing at all. Tim (Anaris) fixed it several months ago. Probably within the last year.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: August 29, 2011, 07:45:16 PM »
Well not all dukes are equal. A duke in charge of a stronghold is nothing more than a guard dog  ;)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 29, 2011, 09:14:13 PM »
at least he doesn't have to cash bonds any more.
firefox

acrandal

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 01, 2011, 06:03:25 AM »
that is already there: you can appoint Lords to your ducal regions. This way you can reward loyal nobles and build up a power bloc within the realm :)

I wish that, as a duke, I could appoint a Steward in one of my regions if it did not already have one.  As elections run our food ends up getting lost all too often in war situations.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 05, 2011, 06:51:14 PM »
Or, you could break from Tradition on a few of the islands, and actually roleplay heavily and build your own faction to usurp the Crown.

In most places, that means losing the duchy.

In most cases, this isn't worth it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #13: September 06, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
In most places, that means losing the duchy.

In most cases, this isn't worth it.

I just wonder about those players with characters who have had Rulers or Dukes for real life years and years  -- do you guys brag to women in bars about it or something? Is it on your resume?

The way you cling to them and avoid any possibility of losing them, even at the loss of a chance to have a lot of fun and to share that fun  with others makes me think it has some some sort of irrational, Real World importance to you.

What's up with that?

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 06, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
I just wonder about those players with characters who have had Rulers or Dukes for real life years and years  -- do you guys brag to women in bars about it or something? Is it on your resume?

The way you cling to them and avoid any possibility of losing them, even at the loss of a chance to have a lot of fun and to share that fun  with others makes me think it has some some sort of irrational, Real World importance to you.

What's up with that?

This is quite a good point. Not necessarily directly, but indeed doing "stupid" things would bring a lot more fun to everyone than behaving reasonably, sadly. I say sadly because when you roleplay your char usually you wouldn't like to make him do something you consider stupid or wrong, just for the ooc-perspective of bringing fun, but we would really need more actions like that in bm.

I personally don't think it's just a matter of clinging to power, but more than else a lack of interest in very risky and stupid actions just for the sake of it on the side of those in power.