Author Topic: Spell ideas  (Read 6729 times)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Spell ideas
« Topic Start: August 29, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »
I'm having a little trouble thinking of spell ideas. I've only managed 3 so far - one accepted, one sent for reworking acceptance, the other I'm still trying to rework. But I'm rather stumped about what other spells I'd like to see in the game.

Can anyone give advice on how you come up with spell ideas? And what you think makes interesting spells?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Spell ideas
« Reply #1: August 29, 2011, 02:18:50 PM »
I, too, have had some difficulties making spells. But for me, it's more a problem of fitting them into the Base/Intent system, rather than figuring out what spells I'd like to have. As a result, I haven't entered a single one.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Fury

« Reply #2: August 29, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »

I don't get the effects, target and duration - for the same spell. So, let's say Fireball: there'll be only one Fireball spell at a specific effect, target and duration? What if I wanted a small effect or short duration? Or another time a larger effect or longer duration or a mixture?

But in submitting spells we have to choose the effects, target and duration? In other words, if it's a Level 5 Fireball there can never be a Level 1 Fireball?

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 29, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
I, too, have had some difficulties making spells. But for me, it's more a problem of fitting them into the Base/Intent system, rather than figuring out what spells I'd like to have. As a result, I haven't entered a single one.

Just enter them and let the GMs come back to you? That's what I've done with each of my spells. The worst thing to do is nothing :)

I don't get the effects, target and duration - for the same spell. So, let's say Fireball: there'll be only one Fireball spell at a specific effect, target and duration? What if I wanted a small effect or short duration? Or another time a larger effect or longer duration or a mixture?

I think it depends how you phrase the description. So for example, I'd do something like this:

Breath of the Sun [harm, fire, 4, 5, 1]

The very energy of the Sun is channelled through the caster's hands to form a star that hurtles towards the target, scorching the ground and all in it's path.

Breath of the Volcano [harm, fire, 4, 3, 1]

Drawing on the core of a volcano, heated magma forms a ball hotter than the harshest deserts in the palm of the caster which is sent at great speed towards its target. The ground under the path of the ball is burned and the target is set alight.

Breath of the Flame [harm, fire, 3, 1, 1]

The air around the caster's palms heats and bursts into flames, forming a small ball of fire in their hands. The ball is then thrown towards the target, severely burning it upon contact - but not enough to cause immediate death.

Feel free to submit these ideas if you want. I don't want to beat you to it just because of some confusion :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:57:52 PM by Nathan »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: August 29, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »

But in submitting spells we have to choose the effects, target and duration? In other words, if it's a Level 5 Fireball there can never be a Level 1 Fireball?

There's no such thing as a "Level 5 Fireball".

There can be different fire-based harm spells. They can differ in target, effect, etc. - and they should carry different names.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: August 29, 2011, 04:06:04 PM »
Also, please remember that this is a roleplaying game first and foremost. That's the other reason I don't want "Level X Fireballs" or twelve variants of the same spell, fine-tuned for specific advantages.

It really should be about the story.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: August 29, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
oh that sucks. so we can't strengthen spells we have huh. better come up with stronger spells :D

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: August 29, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
oh that sucks. so we can't strengthen spells we have huh. better come up with stronger spells :D

Since we don't do hitpoints, damage points or all that other roleplaying mechanics, there's no such thing as strengthening spells anyways.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 30, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
Just want to point out that the following accepted spell: Porcus Transformate

Also has "Part of Circes Polymorphing pack" in the description, which was not allowed.
I agree its confusing.
If you can, remove it or reject it what ever is possible.

Also my spell Mega Saevus Mania is spelled as Sgvus, i don't know why, perhaps a typo.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 30, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
When we are able to modify accepted spells we will don't worry.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: August 30, 2011, 06:25:35 PM »
Also, I should point out that spells are never "personalized". That is something we had in SM2, it may return, but not by "adopting" a whole spell.

So all those "Nerol's Lightning Bolt" and "Circe's Polymorph" will soon be renamed to their generic part.

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: August 30, 2011, 06:41:23 PM »
thank goodness I didn't put any name for the spells hehe

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 30, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
thank goodness I didn't put any name for the spells hehe

What, you filled in just blank?!
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: August 30, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
Means I didn't put my character's name into the name of the spell.

cjnodell

« Reply #14: August 30, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
Ooops... I should have read this before submitting a few of my spells. Same general effect but different potency. Just gave them names like "Slumber I" and "Slumber II" my bad.