Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 41689 times)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45: March 14, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
I suggest an Evil starting location. Let the players sweat a bit :P I never worked with aquifers up to now, as I always avoided them (They can be disabled if needed)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 15, 2011, 12:05:35 AM »
I tried working with an aquifer once. Despite several tries, I was never able to make a freshwater reservoir. I went over the instructions many times, inspected every square, and tried different locations. No matter what, my reservoir was always salty. I sent my files to Anaris, and he couldn't find anything wrong either.

I really hope that the latest bug fix release actually fixes some bugs. They really kill a lot of the fun you could have. Well, that and the insanely slow frame rates if you're running anything short of a supercomputer...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 15, 2011, 12:34:38 AM »
I tried working with an aquifer once. Despite several tries, I was never able to make a freshwater reservoir. I went over the instructions many times, inspected every square, and tried different locations. No matter what, my reservoir was always salty. I sent my files to Anaris, and he couldn't find anything wrong either.

I really hope that the latest bug fix release actually fixes some bugs. They really kill a lot of the fun you could have. Well, that and the insanely slow frame rates if you're running anything short of a supercomputer...

Yeah bugs have been a problem for years, but at least he does fix them, and then adds new ones to enjoy. All part of the fun of playing a game that is in develpment. The latest version really seem to have good preformance increases. My computer is a good 8 years old these days. About 6 months ago is became impractical for me to play DF. Now I'm back to being able to control 100 dwarfs fairly well.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: March 15, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »
I suggest an Evil starting location. Let the players sweat a bit :P I never worked with aquifers up to now, as I always avoided them (They can be disabled if needed)

I think, given that this will be the first bloodline game for all of us and the first game ever for many of us, it would be better not to embark somewhere where just walking outside to chop wood can be deadly most of the time.

That has nothing to do with an aquifer.  Aquifers in saltwater regions are salty; aquifers in freshwater regions are fresh.  It sounds like what you want to avoid is a saltwater region.  That's usually pretty easy—just stay well away from coastline.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: March 15, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
I have salt water in my current Fortress, but apparently building a well on top of it is already enough for the Dwarves to use it. Nonetheless, I'm still busy trying to build a cistern to see if I can get it working to create actual fresh water, as the well thing is surely a bug.

I think, given that this will be the first bloodline game for all of us and the first game ever for many of us, it would be better not to embark somewhere where just walking outside to chop wood can be deadly most of the time.

Sure thing then :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:58:36 PM by Telrunya »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: March 15, 2011, 01:49:18 PM »
I have salt water in my current Fortress, but apparently building a well on top of it is already enough for the Dwarves to use it. Nonetheless, I'm still busy trying to build a cistern to see if I can get it working to create actual fresh water, as the well thing is surely a bug.

They'll use it, but it's still salty, and there are some things for which I think it doesn't work.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: March 15, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
Oh, one other thing, we have to use one of the graphical tile sets.  I've been using Ironhand lately, but the mayday is pretty good, too. Without it, there's no way I could play.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #52: March 15, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
Oh, one other thing, we have to use one of the graphical tile sets.  I've been using Ironhand lately, but the mayday is pretty good, too. Without it, there's no way I could play.

Whaaa?  Really?  I've tried to switch, but no graphical tile set seems simple and informative enough to compare to the pure ASCII, though I'd be willing to give it another serious try.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: March 15, 2011, 02:24:29 PM »
We just send the save to each other, so everyone can use their own graphic pack right? That shouldn't be a problem.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: March 15, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
I just can't figure out what all those ASCII symbols mean. Nor do I really care to invest the effort to figure out the difference between ; and :. I mean, why bother? I'm not running DOS anymore. Games are allowed to look like what they're trying to represent. One of my fortresses had a glass tunnel through an artificial tank I carved into the bottom of a river. This is what it looked like using Mayday's graphic tile set:

In ASCII text, it's not quite so nice.

Ironhands graphics: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.0

Mayday's graphics: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

Although, if one person can run a game in text, then pass the file along to someone else who runs it in a graphic set, then I'm fine with that. Don't know if it's possible, though.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: March 15, 2011, 03:20:27 PM »
We just send the save to each other, so everyone can use their own graphic pack right? That shouldn't be a problem.

Some graphic packs have particular requirements as far as the raws go.  Ironhand, for instance, adds in llamas.

I've been using Ironhand, too, and I think I like its latest iteration better than the current Mayday graphic pack. 

If I do end up being the starter, I think I can twiddle the raws some to ensure that they will work with Mayday, Ironhand, or (naturally) plain ASCII.  A least-common-denominator raw set, if you will, so that all we'll have to do is change the settings in the init.txt file to switch smoothly between graphics packs.

I can handle ASCII if I have to, but I very, very much prefer a good graphics pack.  This is why another of my side projects (back-burnered due to bugs in DF) is a client for dfterm2 that lets you use a graphics pack...
Timothy Collett

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: March 15, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
Heh, i looked at the original graphics and they were wayyyy too retro for me lol. That ironhand is not bad though. Might have a look when I have time.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: March 15, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Heh, i looked at the original graphics and they were wayyyy too retro for me lol. That ironhand is not bad though. Might have a look when I have time.

I can think of nothing more terrifying than &&&&

Edit:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:38:20 PM by ^ban^ »
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: March 15, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
It terrifies me, too. But I bet it's for an entirely different reason.   :D

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: March 16, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »
Looks like a pretty awesome game - something that will sap up more of my time rather than refreshing my family page for more news  ::)

I'll try it out with maybe the Lazy Newb Pack and some nicer graphics packs, read a ton of the tutorials tonight and get back to you on the "bloodline game". Sounds like it would be fun and I could learn a lot but I certainly don't want to join in with zero experience.

Thanks, this is just what I needed! *Applaud*

Update: Just got to the building process and realized I had to start over with my new graphics pack -_- so much to prepare for, too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:12:02 AM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)