Author Topic: Launch?  (Read 20976 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Launch?
« Reply #15: December 06, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »
For my part, I don't think the play style really fits what I'm used to. And I don't know if I can really get into it. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be enough GM involvement in it. There's too much of an individual player: 1) Creating a challenge for himself, 2) Casting spell to overcome the challenge he just created, and 3) patting himself on the back for how he chose to overcome the challenge he created for himself and then awarding himself his cleverly earned experience points.

"Kepler carefully opens the door, and sees a swarm Giant Ants on the other side. Before the ants see him, Kepler quickly casts Rapid Acting Insect Disintegrator. The ants all die. Kepler collects his 12 XP. Kepler continues through the door."

Umm... yay?

What I expected was a more interactive style of play, with more guidance from the GMs. Perhaps that would evolve over time. Or perhaps what we needed was more interaction between players. Or some overarching storyline or plot, or a beginning objective for players to accomplish.  Something to jumpstart it, and get the players going. If we can somehow get that critical mass going to the point where the players start generating their own storylines, then I'm pretty sure we can get it going.

But I think that we will still need a few GMs to resolve some actions. And some better defined rules for how RPs should be played and posted. For example, how spells are resolved. I don't think the system of people creating and then instantly overcoming their own challenges is going to work.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.