Author Topic: Diplomats are lame.  (Read 5369 times)

Kalanar

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Diplomats are lame.
« Topic Start: August 31, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
 Kinda lame. I thought I'd be traveling to foreign courts, speaking to other players... etc. Instead I'm pressing two buttons a turn to maintain treaties with an imaginary lesser nobility. It seems this feature only serves to isolate what would be an otherwise very interesting class.

But I'm new to it. Maybe there will be other things in a couple of years when I'm finally able to have an effect on Lord Makebelieve and convince him our treaties are good.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomats are lame.
« Reply #1: August 31, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
Treaty maintenance is pointless, since the treaties don't actually do anything yet. So treaty maintenance is a waste of time. I suggest you ask your ruler to just cancel all the treaties. Or just ignore the friction, and let them fall apart on their own.

If treaties are ever enacted as a real game mechanic, I don't think the current friction mechanic will be used as it stands now.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 31, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
Indeed, no one should spend time over reducing friction and I believe the devs recently deleted the constant warnings sent to rulers and diplomats about treaty friction raising (that was really annoying).

Ambassador IS a nice class. Get in touch with your ruler and start going around :)

Kalanar

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 31, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »
Hmph, I get warnings every darn day. But thanks for the replies, makes me feel better about things.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 31, 2011, 08:52:34 PM »
Please stop spamming those everywhere. Those are OT spam in all forums other than you-know-where.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jinsyn

• Knight
  • time - the indefinite moment eternal
    • View Profile
    • Facebonk
« Reply #5: August 31, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »
Please stop spamming those everywhere. Those are OT spam in all forums other than you-know-where.

Sorry...  :-[ I thought it might be fun to do a semi-Easter-Egg hunt thing across the whole forum, while also raising interest/awareness about SM3 for those who haven't read about it. I'll remove all my spell spams.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 31, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »
Indeed, no one should spend time over reducing friction and I believe the devs recently deleted the constant warnings sent to rulers and diplomats about treaty friction raising (that was really annoying).

Ambassador IS a nice class. Get in touch with your ruler and start going around :)

they did not, on ec warnings are sent each and every turn.

if those warnings could be changed to weekly frequency or so, that would be nice. current treates, though without effect on game mechanics, still present some nice rp potential. i am talking about free form treaties which also cause constant friction warnings, while they are useful in-game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 31, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
I thought I'd be traveling to foreign courts, speaking to other players... etc.

I'm an ambassador, and I do that... what's stopping you?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 31, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »
they did not, on ec warnings are sent each and every turn.

They stopped on testing. My guess is that the warning code was moved to stable, then changed on testing and has not yet reached stable. As I said, my guess. Nothing sure there.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 01, 2011, 02:36:54 AM »
Well, I use my diplomats for region maintenance more than anything else, admittedly, but they've done some negotiations as well to good effect.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Kalanar

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 01, 2011, 02:52:08 AM »
Well I'm new to it and needed to vent my frustration which led to a very fine tid-bit of knowledge, all and all a good post for me. Hopefully I can ditch this treaty maintenance business do something more involved.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 01, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »
Treaty maintenance is pointless, since the treaties don't actually do anything yet.

Boo, I was leaving treaties to break so I can blame our ruler :(

Hopefully I can ditch this treaty maintenance business do something more involved.

I treat the Diplomat/Ambassador classes a little like the priest class: not much to do except role play. Wander around your continent a little and meet other Ambassadors, you'd be amazed how much can be accomplished just by being there to talk to people.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 01, 2011, 07:16:57 PM »
They are fantastic at raising/decreasing Sympathy for your Realm / less-liked Realms in regions. Try to concentrate on doing those things. It can be used as a defensive and offensive tool given the right situation and coordination. Next to that, you can still try to encourage Treaty Creation (But its easier to just let them disappear and then remake them again) for RP value.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 12, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
Well I'm new to it and needed to vent my frustration which led to a very fine tid-bit of knowledge, all and all a good post for me. Hopefully I can ditch this treaty maintenance business do something more involved.

Diplomacy can't be simulated through game mechanics, because any truly meaningful diplomacy must take place between players, not between a player and the game. I have a character who is not even in the diplomat class, yet he is still negotiating with foreign rulers on behalf of his entire realm. Get yourself appointed Ambassador and then go on state visits to meet people. A lot of diplomacy in this game is about who you know and how well known you are.