Author Topic: Beta Testing "Launch"  (Read 9712 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Testing "Launch"
« Reply #15: August 31, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
So, there's a spell that uses Mind and Perceive. I have Mind 4 and Perceive 3. The spell "power" is 27".

I have 7 Energy.

When I view the spell details it says: "you can not cast this spell because your skill levels are too low (total of 7, but need at least 27)". Shouldn't that say I can't cast it because I don't have enough Energy?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #16: August 31, 2011, 11:10:34 PM »
When I view the spell details it says: "you can not cast this spell because your skill levels are too low (total of 7, but need at least 27)". Shouldn't that say I can't cast it because I don't have enough Energy?

It only shows you the first error.

Also, the view_spells page is intended to be time-independent, so it won't show you concentration and energy, because those change.

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: August 31, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
Are we going to get an option to form a council once the game launches?

Jinsyn

• Knight
  • time - the indefinite moment eternal
    • View Profile
    • Facebonk
« Reply #18: August 31, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
So, there's a spell that uses Mind and Perceive. I have Mind 4 and Perceive 3. The spell "power" is 27".

I have 7 Energy.

You do have enough Energy for it, because Energy requirement is Power Level divided by Base Skill Level, which in this case is (PL 27/Mind 4) => 6.75 Energy cost. But ability to cast a spell, regardless of current Energy/Concentration, is firstly dependent on the sum of Base Skill Level and Intent Skill Level, which in this case is (Mind 4 + Perceive 3) => 7 max Power Level spell using Mind+Perceive that you can cast.

cjnodell

« Reply #19: August 31, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
The parser will now verify that I can cast some spells but I can not "commit" anything.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: August 31, 2011, 11:30:51 PM »
The parser will now verify that I can cast some spells but I can not "commit" anything.

correct, that part isn't yet finished.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 31, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
Then I totally don't understand this at all. Why can't I cast it?  I need a total of 27 skill levels? What skill levels?

But ability to cast a spell, regardless of current Energy/Concentration, is firstly dependent on the sum of Base Skill Level and Intent Skill Level, which in this case is (Mind 4 + Perceive 3) => 7 max Power Level spell using Mind+Perceive that you can cast.
I've read through the site several times, and there's nothing on the site that I have found that would explain that.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #22: August 31, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
I am pretty sure the combined number of your base and intent must equal the power level.

If you are trying to cast a fire ball (harm+fire) which has the power level of let's say 6,

then you need to have harm 3 and fire 3 or harm 2 fire 4, harm 1 fire 5 etc. Well at least that is how I calculate.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: September 01, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »
Then I totally don't understand this at all. Why can't I cast it?  I need a total of 27 skill levels? What skill levels?
I've read through the site several times, and there's nothing on the site that I have found that would explain that.

http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/skills
Skills are grouped in the same categories as the magical effects they control, intents and bases. The higher the skill of a magician in a category, the more he can do and most importantly, the less energy he requires to do it.
There is a hard limit determined by the skill level in that no magician can create an effect with a power level beyond the sum of his levels in the skills required.