Author Topic: Duchal powers  (Read 12325 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Duchal powers
« Reply #30: September 06, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
I wonder what she'd do to you if your antics ever ended up costing her her city, or something :o

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 06, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
I wonder what she'd do to you if your antics ever ended up costing her her city, or something :o

Well...She thought that getting Talex was the perfect birthday present (both IC and OOC), so if it got lost I think she would be sad.  On the other hand, she's pretty close to getting her own realm, so it'll be her responsibility then.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 06, 2011, 08:32:30 PM »
Did people tell you "I voted for him because he's been in the realm the longest"? Or did someone who claimed that they were in the realm a long time get the spot? I mean, how many times has someone popped up and said "I should be elected because I'll try real hard to get the job done."? If they get elected, does that mean that they were elected because people thought they would try real hard?

I can't hel

Well, when I was a young whippersnapper in BM, I certainly believed that those who had been around the realm the longest were the best qualified to take high-level posts, and I would usually cast my vote for the guy or gal who went 'After all my time here I am the best for the job' without actually checking if they were.

This probably doesn't work if the positions are appointed, though... So if you want to use time in realm as a platform to get a duchy, join a republic or democracy!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 06, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »
Any time I've ever seen anyone make a campaign based on time in realm, I strike them off my list of potential candidates.  If that's the best they can come up with, then I want someone who can at least lie better.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 06, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
No one gets a duchy for having the most days in realm. You get the duchy because you have friends, not because your "days in realm" count is higher than anyone else's. Sticking around longer does give you a greater opportunity to be a distinguished member of the realm. And you've had a longer time to make more friends, and to amass more favors that you are owed.

Says you. On Dwilight, I never bothered with the cliques that had formed and imploded over the years. As groups of these ambitious people came and went, I simply went with the flow: aiding the ones in power while their rule was solid, bringing them down when it was obvious they would crumble. Eventually, this led me to have the most days in the realm, as fallen governments exiled themselves (or were exiled).

I never bothered to make myself any form of base of support whatsoever. But with those most days in realm, becoming the duke of Paisly (after rebuilding Paisland myself) and then become both ruler of D'Hara and duke of Paisly required very little on my part, other than a few last-minute deals and campaigning.

Assuming that everyone in power is there because he's at the head of some power-mongering evil clique is just ridiculous. It's quite telling to see what many people think of the BM community on these forums... It would appear that all honest players have gone, and that those who find themselves in positions of power must surely have done something bad for it.

The thing is, when two people present themselves for a position, and you have no prior preference for either and they both offer something similar (or diverge on things you don't really care about), how do you pick which one to vote for? For many people, time in realm is a simple measure of commitment to the realm. "He's been serving here for five years, doesn't he deserve it more than the other guy who's only been here six months and who isn't offering anything more?" It also inspires confidence. After many years, you feel that a certain person is more or less predictable, even if you never really wrote to him. You are more confident in knowing what to expect from him, and for him to continue the culture of your realm since he's been exposed to it longer.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: September 06, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
Any time I've ever seen anyone make a campaign based on time in realm, I strike them off my list of potential candidates.  If that's the best they can come up with, then I want someone who can at least lie better.

Well, yes, but you're a veteran and probably one of the most politically savvy people in the game. But new guys are usually much easier to convince.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 06, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
Well, yes, but you're a veteran and probably one of the most politically savvy people in the game. But new guys are usually much easier to convince.

It's true.  But like with so many things in this game, if you don't like it, then work on changing it.  Ripple effects are hard to predict.  A couple of Arcaeans chatting on IRC one time decided we didn't like saying "Greater Aenilia" because what was so great about it, anyway? so we started just calling it Aenilia.  I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone on the Far East refer to it as Greater Aenilia (though GA is common), not even the Aenilians themselves after one of their Rulers picked up on it to try and ease their reputation for arrogance.