Author Topic: Bankers can be Stewards of any realm's region  (Read 17498 times)

Jens Namtrah

Re: Bankers can be Stewards of any realm's region
« Reply #15: September 02, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
Then you might have Realms order all their Lords to put the Banker as Steward so he gets full control over the Food situation again. That is taking a step back. I much like the current interaction between Banker and Lords.

+100

I can start listing realms who will order you to hand control over to the Banker. A big step backwards.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 02, 2011, 02:42:03 PM »
Maybe we have advanced enough as players that it would not be so egregious as it could have been some years ago?

I think the example of generals sums it up well. Realms could order everyone into one army with the general as marshall; most don't.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

« Reply #17: September 02, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
+100

I can start listing realms who will order you to hand control over to the Banker. A big step backwards.

And I'll ignore them like I'm ignoring the duchess who told me to send her my excess food for free.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 02, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
+100

And many lords will sigh in relief when they don't have to deal with the food issues anymore. Seriously, managing food just isn't fun to a great many lords. I hear complaining about it from lords(that it's complex, that they don't like it etc.) almost every time food gets mentioned.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 02, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
Don't we have automatic caravans by now? Just set it up once and you're done if you don't care. Or just get a Knight who does want to do it.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 02, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
Don't we have automatic caravans by now? Just set it up once and you're done if you don't care. Or just get a Knight who does want to do it.

They break.  A lot.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 03, 2011, 02:40:42 AM »
Then don't do it. And if they try and force you, then raise a big stink over it. Protest the banker and ruler daily. Get your knights to support you, since the banker will be taking gold out of their pockets. Demand support from your duke to prevent the erosion of the lord's, and by inference the duke's, rights. If he won't support you, swap to another duchy that will. Sell all your food to another realm. If worse comes to worse, leave and go elsewhere. preferably taking your region and knights with you.

i.e. do something other than bitch, moan, and try to get the rules changed.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 03, 2011, 02:55:43 AM »
They break.  A lot.

Yeah, well, I've fixed them now :P

And if you just tell people not to use them because "they break a lot", we're never going to see if they work.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 03, 2011, 03:14:06 AM »
Anything that simplifies the food game is a Good Idea in my opinion, and I've always wanted a checkbox where lords could say "give Banker full control of the food", but uncheck it if they wanted to handle it themselves.

+101.

I love the food game. Its a shame imo that playing a trader/warrior hybrid is hard. I would think  that a trader with 10 loaded caravans should somehow earn a higher maximum unit size (but I guess thats what other TLs are for!).

But seriously, I have played a Banker where I literally had to teach people how to use the caravan and auto transfer system, by referencing my other characters. It was so broken and complex.... my banker had to reference pages of the game he doesn't even have access to. Try teaching someone playing their first lord char how to use the automatic transfers without being able to open that page, I dare you. It can be downright impractical at times to have a banker who isn't a steward, region lord, or duke.

The same character who was the banker I mentioned, was a trader not long ago and steward of his region. Even that role relationship made things so much easier moving food around, and even earning a profit for the region.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 03, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »
Yeah, well, I've fixed them now :P

And if you just tell people not to use them because "they break a lot", we're never going to see if they work.

Hey, every so often I have someone test them in PeL.  And then the food disappears, or doesn't arrive for a week, or the game resets, and Askileon starves again.  No point in having other realms hurt by it.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #25: September 03, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »
Then don't do it. And if they try and force you, then raise a big stink over it. Protest the banker and ruler daily. Get your knights to support you, since the banker will be taking gold out of their pockets. Demand support from your duke to prevent the erosion of the lord's, and by inference the duke's, rights. If he won't support you, swap to another duchy that will. Sell all your food to another realm. If worse comes to worse, leave and go elsewhere. preferably taking your region and knights with you.

i.e. do something other than bitch, moan, and try to get the rules changed.

yes, Indirik - that's always been your answer to everything.

Rebel!

Doesn't work (outside of a few basket cases on Dwilight).  You are usually the only voice, get to listen to a lot of "do it for the realm" crap, get to deal with fines, bans, threats, etc.,  get to try to rally silent, apathetic lords to your side

"Leave the Realm - and take your region with you!" - yes, if you are lucky enough to be in a border region, you can. And have them contact your new ruler, asking him to tell you to give the region back because it is "theirs", or to ban you if you don't. Which he often will.

Or you can penalize yourself by throwing away the closest thing to a Duchy you'll probably ever have in the game - a rural region with food to spare.

-----

The problem is, there are supposed to be checks and balances throughout the game. But most of them only work if the players stand up together as a group.  If you have a realm where 90% of the players don't give a !@#$, then you have no checks and balance. You have one vocal knight against the Council and 90% of the realm who just wants you to shut the !@#$ up with your letters of protest so they don't have so much to read and can click their buttons in silence.

Your suggestions are based too much on the "theory of BM", but ignore the practical side.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 03, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
Doesn't work It's hard (outside of a few basket cases on Dwilight).  You are usually the only voice, get to listen to a lot of "do it for the realm" crap, get to deal with fines, bans, threats, etc.,  get to try to rally silent, apathetic lords to your side

FTFY
The problem is, there are supposed to be checks and balances throughout the game. But most of them only work if the players stand up together as a group.  If you have a realm where 90% of the players don't give a !@#$, then you have no checks and balance. You have one vocal knight against the Council and 90% of the realm who just wants you to shut the !@#$ up with your letters of protest so they don't have so much to read and can click their buttons in silence.

Your suggestions are based too much on the "theory of BM", but ignore the practical side.

You will never achieve it in one day. However, a big part of the game is putting yourself in a position where you can achieve it, one day.

Those people that I have seen succeeding have been preparing themselves for months, and I'd bet they had fun doing it.

In a sense, that is the game. It's the closest thing to winning at BM.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 04, 2011, 02:29:43 AM »
Then *make* them care. If you want to buck the system, then, yes, it *will* be hard. But that's what you're gong to get if you want to be the very small minority of characters that doesn't want to participate in what 95% of the realm decides they want to do. So you can either change their minds, which may take a very long time and be very hard, or you can go elsewhere to find other realms that already agree with your play style. That' why we have more than just one realm in the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #28: September 04, 2011, 03:39:35 AM »
Then *make* them care. If you want to buck the system, then, yes, it *will* be hard. But that's what you're gong to get if you want to be the very small minority of characters that doesn't want to participate in what 95% of the realm decides they want to do. So you can either change their minds, which may take a very long time and be very hard, or you can go elsewhere to find other realms that already agree with your play style. That' why we have more than just one realm in the game.

No, no, no.

I don't care anymore about changing their minds.

Just stop giving away the few things I left to do in the game. No Banker as Steward. My region's food is my own.

People can't be bothered to set up auto-caravans one time,  screw 'em. It's a minuscule amount of work. Let them put a little effort into being a Lord if they want the title.

what about MY time and effort in the game? You know how much effort I put into writing people and trying to do these suggestions? And never get a single response, yea or nay?   !@#$ 'em if they can't be bothered to put a minimum effort into the game. Their realm can starve.

You all work so hard to build up an atmosphere where Region lords are actually the lords of their regions, then you turn around and want to give it all back to the banker cuz it's too hard to click on one button, one time?  How about a consistent roadmap for the game?

Bare minimum, I want it to be a clear Lightning bolt offense to say anything more than "it is possible to give banker control if you can't be bothered". I want an IR. If going to a tournament can be an IR, then controlling your own region's warehouses can be as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 03:48:10 AM by Jens Namtrah »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 04, 2011, 07:13:39 AM »
And I'll ignore them like I'm ignoring the duchess who told me to send her my excess food for free.

+200
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron