Author Topic: Ability to move militia  (Read 4437 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Ability to move militia
« Topic Start: March 05, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Currently the only way to move militia is to rely on unreliable assignment of units to nobles then regarrisoning them as militia.

I'd like to see the ability to transfer militia in a way similar to how ox carts, and trade offers, currently work.  Travel times would be lower than any unit commanded by a noble, and while moving the militia units would have a vastly lower CS.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to move militia
« Reply #1: March 05, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
the whole POINT of militia is that it is NOT mobile. You have nobles to provide mobile defense forces.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 05, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
What I proposed couldn't be used as a mobile force due to the penalties to CS and movement speed. The only use to be to save valuable units from being decommissioned, or languishing in the capital.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #3: March 05, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »
Technically you can already move militia if your general doesn't have a unit.  It's just awesomely slow since you can only assign militia every couple of days.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 05, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »
What I proposed couldn't be used as a mobile force due to the penalties to CS and movement speed. The only use to be to save valuable units from being decommissioned, or languishing in the capital.

To me these are just some of the risk involved in using militia. If we make it easier to mitigate these risks, then it is possible the game balance will be thrown off. I guess this is a bigger problem on Dwilight where military units are much more valuable.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #5: March 06, 2011, 04:56:07 AM »
I don't think this is as such a terrible idea as you make it out to be, De-Legro. If it is like ox-carts or caravans then the troops will be out of action for a considerably longer time than it takes a normal unit to make that trip. Shifting them about to defend key areas thus wouldn't work as they'd arrive late. It'd allow a better long term strategic use of militia, but no short term or tactical use.

If you want to argue about the definition of militia in battlemaster then there is more that identifies them as professional soldiers (or an equivelant on the level of the honour guards of nobles) who are performing garrison duty. Militia don't police and the way in which they are often placed as militia (recruited from a barracks or dropped from the guards of nobles) marks them as often something a little more than peasants guarding their homes.

Now the main issue is how low on the list of priorities this is right now? Our devs are notorious for wasting time being hard at work upon the insane number of changes and bug fixes that still need their attention.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: March 06, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
the whole POINT of militia is that it is NOT mobile. You have nobles to provide mobile defense forces.

That really is all there is to say about this. Rejected.