Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 10488 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Topic Start: March 05, 2011, 10:41:22 PM »
So what movies have you seen recently that you'd recommend to people?

Personally, I've seen Skyline and thought it really deserved a better rating than it has on IMDB. Also, saw Welcome to the Space Show which is a nice move for anyone who appreciates nice animation and a story fitting for the whole family(very much a Ghibli style sort of anime).
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1: March 05, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
I watched "A Beautiful Mind" again recently, and it's still as awesome as ever.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 06, 2011, 02:15:55 AM »
I shy away from paying £10 to watch movies with kids talking through them and texting all the time so I tend to buy DVDs and watch at home (where it's only my wife talking and texting all the time but at least I can rewind*)

Currently wading through Battlestar Galactica remake again (ok, not a movie but in terms of artistic achievement blows most current movies away) but recently..

Hot Fuzz (movie geek heaven, this is how pastiche *should* be done)
Iron Man 2 (would be the best super-hero movie ever if you hadn't seen The Dark Knight)
Jarhead (brave enough to show war can often be an anticlimax but mess you up anyway)
The Wicker Man (original not US remake, people are always the scariest monsters!)
Monty Python and The Holy Grail (because it never gets less funny)
The Madness of King George (sublime, Nigel Hawthorne is outstanding as always)
Dangerous Liasons (the scheming and bad accents remind me of a certain lightweight role-playing strategy game. Maybe we should add a lethario class next;-)

* love you honey!
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 06, 2011, 03:12:51 AM »
I'll exclude a lot of 'famous' movies from my list or it'd just be too damn long, so here's a combination of lesser known gems with some well-known names mixed in:

-Dark City: A good combination of thriller, mystery and sci-fi. It starts off as a bit of a film noir/murder mystery with a twist, then gradually becomes more complex. Do yourself a favor though, and get the Director's Cut. The cinematic version was 'dumbed down' for audiences, and it explains most of the plot in the opening narrative, which is a huge waste.
-El Mariachi: Most of us will know Desperado and Once Upon A Time In America with Antonio Banderas playing the mariachi of doom. This one is the first in the series, before Robert Rodriguez had made a name for himself. With an all-Mexican cast and raw, gritty violence, this is my personal favorite in the Mariachi trilogy.
-Dog Soldiers: A British horror flick that went mostly under the radar. Starring Kevin McKidd (Vorenus from Rome) and Sean Pertwee (one of the most awesome voices in movies), it's about a unit of British soldiers that trek into a huge forest for a training exercise, that soon turns horribly, horribly wrong after they find the blood-spattered remnants of their opposition's base camp.
-[Rec]: Honestly one of the best horror movies of the past decade. Set in Spain, a journalist and her cameraman follow a unit of firefighters to an old apartment building where an old lady is trapped. We see the events that follow through the lens of the cameraman... I recommend keeping a clean set of underwear nearby.
-Watchmen: A superhero flick like no other. Set in the 80s during the Cold War, it presents an alternative reality under the Nixon presidency, a time where 'superhero' vigilantes have risen and fallen. Excellent cinematics, great acting, some very good violence and a naked blue guy with god-like powers... totally worth the running time of almost 3 hours.
-Bubba Ho-Tep: Comedy starring Bruce 'Groovy' Campbell as an old guy claiming he's Elvis - who has cancer in his dick - living in a run-down retirement home, where he teams up with JFK (who turns out to be alive, and black) to stop a mummy from sucking people's souls out through their !@#$%^&s. Sounds silly? Hell yeah! JFK: Now this top line translates into, "Pharoah gobbles donkey goobers," and the bottom line, "Cleopatra does the nasty."

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 06, 2011, 11:56:02 AM »
I don't watch many movies, but my last one was The Usual Suspects, which I would strongly recommend to anyone.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 10, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
The King's Speech, loved it :)

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: March 11, 2011, 01:10:02 AM »
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: March 11, 2011, 01:34:03 AM »
I like Disney movies. They're actually quite fun to watch still.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 17, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »
I like Disney movies. They're actually quite fun to watch still.

AGreed :) I'm gonna have a lion king marathon soon, I've only seen the first one when I was like 7 year sold :p

also loved Rango, watched it yesterday.

Anyone ever watch movies online? Or do you consider piracy theft?

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 17, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »
Anyone ever watch movies online? Or do you consider piracy theft?

Ah.. one of my bugbears.. the entertainment industry calling copyright infringement for personal use piracy or theft (legally it's not either) or even a crime (in many countries it's a civil not a criminal offense unless you profit from it).

If I like something I'll pay for it. It's only fair to those who made it and it allows and encourages them to make more of what I like. If it's unfairly expensive (DVDs in the UK are twice the price than in the US, for example) I'll just wait for it to come down in price.
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 17, 2011, 01:10:50 PM »
Saw Battle: Los Angeles yesterday. Seems like a sort of amalgam of War of the Worlds and Cloverfield. Nothing that anyone hasn't seen before and in a way that was better done. Wouldn't recommend. I also caught the Hurt Locker for the first time yesterday and I can see why James Cameron and Avatar lost out on a few awards to it. Decent.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: March 17, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
Ah.. one of my bugbears.. the entertainment industry calling copyright infringement for personal use piracy or theft (legally it's not either) or even a crime (in many countries it's a civil not a criminal offense unless you profit from it).

If I like something I'll pay for it. It's only fair to those who made it and it allows and encourages them to make more of what I like. If it's unfairly expensive (DVDs in the UK are twice the price than in the US, for example) I'll just wait for it to come down in price.

Let's please not get into a discussion about piracy, as several other forums have had threads devolve into endless pointless arguments.

For online movies, there are (mostly poor quality, in all areas) movies on Youtube, and I think Netflix does the watch movies online thing.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 17, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
Depends on where you look. You can find full HD BluRay rips on he internet just as easily as you would find regular DVD rips. Also, IMO, online piracy is not gonna kill the movie industry. They said the same thing about tapes and the music industry, and VCR and the movie industry, and both times the industries survived the thing that was going to ruin them.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 18, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
Though it is not very historically accurate, I always enjoy Kingdom of Heaven. The director's cut version cleans up a lot of the anachronistic atmosphere and deepens the complexity of the story.

I also really enjoy Little Miss Sunshine; definitely one of my favorites. Secondhand Lions is also enjoyable, given that it is my intention to be the old men in that movie "when I grow up."

I don't watch many movies, but my last one was The Usual Suspects, which I would strongly recommend to anyone.

That's one that really makes you think. I watched it twice to try and catch everything.

-Watchmen: A superhero flick like no other. Set in the 80s during the Cold War, it presents an alternative reality under the Nixon presidency, a time where 'superhero' vigilantes have risen and fallen. Excellent cinematics, great acting, some very good violence and a naked blue guy with god-like powers... totally worth the running time of almost 3 hours.

I knew there was a reason our characters are always opposed to each other. This is perhaps My least favorite movie of the last five years.

"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 19, 2011, 03:25:22 AM »
Don't make me go Rorschach on yo' ass! :o