Author Topic: All Roads Lead To...  (Read 4482 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
All Roads Lead To...
« Topic Start: September 02, 2011, 03:40:12 AM »
While I am not proposing allowing new roads to be constructed per se, I would love to see two options added:

1.  The option for region lords to invest money in road maintenance.  This would marginally increase all roads in the region.

2.  Allow knights to order their units to reconstruct a one way road.  Ex.  Westmoor to Troyes.  It would function similar to civil work, units would lose morale but the only change is that a road condition would improve.

thoughts?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: All Roads Lead To...
« Reply #1: September 02, 2011, 03:48:12 AM »
While I am not proposing allowing new roads to be constructed per se, I would love to see two options added:

1.  The option for region lords to invest money in road maintenance.  This would marginally increase all roads in the region.

2.  Allow knights to order their units to reconstruct a one way road.  Ex.  Westmoor to Troyes.  It would function similar to civil work, units would lose morale but the only change is that a road condition would improve.

thoughts?

What is wrong with the current, non micromanagement way of road improvement?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 02, 2011, 03:52:52 AM »
Long travel times (in Dwilight at least)?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #3: September 02, 2011, 04:05:45 AM »
What is wrong with the current, non micromanagement way of road improvement?
Well, then by all means.  Let's remove civil work and diplomatic actions because they fit your version of "micromanagement". 

I call it an option.  An option many would like, especially in war ravaged lands like Beluaterra and Dwilight.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 02, 2011, 04:06:48 AM »
I've always wanted to be able to invest in roads or something.  I believe that's on the planning board (I seem to recall something about new estate options, one of them being to help roads) but I will certainly check and poke people about it.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 02, 2011, 04:13:16 AM »
Well, then by all means.  Let's remove civil work and diplomatic actions because they fit your version of "micromanagement". 

I call it an option.  An option many would like, especially in war ravaged lands like Beluaterra and Dwilight.

There are already ways to increase the rate at which roads are repaired, by looking after your region and getting it back up to scratch ASA, civil work investment etc much like all other infrastructure in the game (RC's etc). The way I could see this working is if you had an option to prioritise repair in one area of infrastructure at the cost of others. Otherwise we probably need options to allow knights and lords to individually repair all sorts of things.

Long travel times (in Dwilight at least)?

The proposal would give us a new way to bring roads up to full efficiency, so travel time would only be affected in area's were roads are currently crap.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #6: September 02, 2011, 04:13:48 AM »
I thought roads improved automatically as a part of the realm production, or some stat? Incorrect?

they can be targeted in looting, so makes sense they can be specifically improved. besides just making real-world sense, and reducing the hated travel times

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 02, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
I thought roads improved automatically as a part of the realm production, or some stat? Incorrect?

Correct, related to production.

they can be targeted in looting, so makes sense they can be specifically improved. besides just making real-world sense, and reducing the hated travel times

Indeed.  Anything that reduces travel times is wonderful.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 02, 2011, 04:25:24 AM »

I would much rather be able to target RC's for repairing to give the option to save damaged ones quickly when taking over/taking back a damaged region. Roads are always equal, you may never get that 90/90 infantry RC again if it falls apart before the region is back on its feet.

The question would be, does Tom want you to be able to target repairs in this way, or is it part of the balance/game play that he is aiming for that you can only indirectly affect it?

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 02, 2011, 04:29:13 AM »
...Nid Tek. All roads lead to Nid Tek-
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Turner

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 02, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I find myself actually liking this proposal, not bad at all :)
Michael (BT) - Marcus (BT) - Antonious (EC) - Claudius (EC)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 02, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »
I've always wanted to be able to invest in roads or something.

Same here! But until now repairs went through civil work, mostly, because that increases your production. Consecutive investments can help too, if you're really into repairing roads... so somehow, it is already possible to "invest in roads" (and get other benefits too!). So I'm not sure if I want a separate "invest in roads" option, or if I think people should just simply invest more in their regions... Next to that I think that opening up the idea to invest in roads specifically, also require the ability to repair recruitment centres or other infrastructure.

I wouldn't mind a more in-depth economical aspect of the game, though.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 02, 2011, 01:01:05 PM »
I would much rather be able to target RC's for repairing to give the option to save damaged ones quickly when taking over/taking back a damaged region. Roads are always equal, you may never get that 90/90 infantry RC again if it falls apart before the region is back on its feet.

Enlarge the RC. When damage reaches 100%, I believe it just drops one level. Of course this can be costly, but if you really want that RC, you can save it.

I like the suggestion to improve roads, though if they are in bad state due production, they will probably just go back into disrepair. I wonder how much we can really change travel times, considering that. It would just speed up the process in case roads are more damaged then the regions can handle.