Author Topic: Standardization and EC Culture  (Read 20415 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Standardization and EC Culture
« Topic Start: September 04, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
So, I've been thinking about various things in the East Continent.  Regional names, cultures, heck...  Even a name for our continent beyond "East Continent" or "East Island".   I'd love to see this continent, the oldest, have a real history that makes Dwilight's pale in comparison.

Let's start with something simple:  Nationality names.  Honestly, I'm uncertain what some realms call their citizens.  I'd like to see what the "correct" terminology is to be truthful.  Let's start off with current realms, then work on historical/fallen realms later.

Caligus - Caligan
Fontan - Fontanese
Ibladesh - Ibladeshi
Obsidian Islands - Not sure here.  I've taken to call them Kalmarans, though some have called them Islanders.
Perdan - Perdanese
Sirion - Sirionite
Sultanate of Asena - Asenan
Westmoor - Westmoorian

The wiki lists some geographical features, the so-called "Major Geographical Features".   But who named them?  Why?  What real world/historical/fantasy cultures are the various realms based on?  Westmoor, for instance, I've always seen as closer to England or Brittany.  Perdan I see as more French.  So many things to look at.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Standardization and EC Culture
« Reply #1: September 04, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »
write about Oligarch. That's the one realm I really miss. With their military culture and all.

Many of those original realms actually originated in SpellMaster and had a bit of history there.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 04, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
Ibladeshian is probably better. And I'm biased towards Oligarch since I started out there :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 05, 2011, 02:50:57 AM »
The wiki lists some geographical features, the so-called "Major Geographical Features".   But who named them?
If you mean the ones posted on the wiki, well, that would be me.

Why?
Another player (who no longer plays) and I were talking one day and decided it would be fun to do. So we looked around, asked some people what they thought, discovered that there really weren't any that people used, so we made them up. Admittedly, we weren't that creative with most of it. A few more have since been added by a few other people. (And no, I did not name the Astrum Woods on EC...)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: September 05, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
Ibladeshian is probably better. And I'm biased towards Oligarch since I started out there :)
What do they tend to call themselves?  I know you're one, but what about the rest?  I'm simply curious. 

Oligarch...  They were the Orcs, right?

Amusingly.  Oligarch  O'rch >.>

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 06, 2011, 05:35:17 AM »
What do they tend to call themselves?  I know you're one, but what about the rest?  I'm simply curious. 

Oligarch...  They were the Orcs, right?

Amusingly.  Oligarch  O'rch >.>

Or Oligarch, Lich
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #6: September 06, 2011, 06:33:01 AM »
Except they called themselves Orcs, not Liches. :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 06, 2011, 06:45:38 AM »
Except they called themselves Orcs, not Liches. :P

Just saying you can make all kinds of words if you just pick out the letters you want and disregard the rest.  ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #8: September 06, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »
Or...  You could read what I wrote and sensibly determine it to be what it was intended:  Indicating cultural misunderstandings/translation errors resulting in the natives of Oligarch being referred to as Orcs.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 06, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
I don't think that was ever intended. The Oligarch name predates BattleMaster, and the whole Sirionite>Elf thing. I am fairly certain that Oligarchians were referred to as orcs simply because Sirionites wanted to be elves, and, well, the obvious enemy of the elves are the orcs.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 07, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »
Or...  You could read what I wrote and sensibly determine it to be what it was intended:  Indicating cultural misunderstandings/translation errors resulting in the natives of Oligarch being referred to as Orcs.

->

I don't think that was ever intended. The Oligarch name predates BattleMaster, and the whole Sirionite>Elf thing. I am fairly certain that Oligarchians were referred to as orcs simply because Sirionites wanted to be elves, and, well, the obvious enemy of the elves are the orcs.

I highly doubt it was well. This is what I've always heard.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #11: September 07, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
You folks do realize I'm trying to speak through an in-universe perspective, right?  Otherwise Battlemaster's gonna be pretty damned boring when everything historical will turn out "because Tom wanted it that way." =p

Shady

• Testers
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 08, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »
Obsidian Islands - Not sure here.  I've taken to call them Kalmarans, though some have called them Islanders.

Kalmar or Kalmarans was one of the realms before OI came around. Most realms, and in OI, go by Islanders.

Dobromir

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 08, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
The whole Oligarch being Orcs things was nothing but Sirion roleplaying they were orc while they were the elves.  Tbh I think its completely dumb that people in Sirion call themselves elves still but thats just my opinion.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 08, 2011, 02:11:29 PM »
You folks do realize I'm trying to speak through an in-universe perspective, right?
Which is fine. But trying to figure out why Oligarchians are referred to as Orcs is kind of pointless. So far as I am aware, only the Sirionites ever referred to them as that. And I've never, ever heard the term actually used IG.