Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 7818 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Battlefield 3
« Topic Start: September 05, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
I just pre-ordered it.

Anyone know when the beta will open? The game looks awesome.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1: September 05, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »
I've got it pre-ordered as well. I believe the beta will come out sometime in early October.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 05, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »
In the meanwhile, time to practise back on BF2! Been a while since I played it, but I pwnt this morning so I guess it's all good.

I wish the system would reward BF2 achievements with a few extra freebies in BF3, but I doubt it.  ::)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 08, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
I was in the Alpha for it. Unfortuantly it did NOT like my PC. I am also in the Beta for it and as soon as the new pc is done up hopefully I can get to play a bit more :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 09, 2011, 02:09:15 AM »
I was in the Alpha for it. Unfortuantly it did NOT like my PC. I am also in the Beta for it and as soon as the new pc is done up hopefully I can get to play a bit more :D

Beta started?

I pre-ordered, so I'm supposed to get beta access...

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 10, 2011, 03:06:53 AM »
Beta started?

I pre-ordered, so I'm supposed to get beta access...

You get Open Beta access ;)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 10, 2011, 03:15:56 AM »
You get Open Beta access ;)

So... beta will be in october, right?

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 10, 2011, 03:39:45 AM »
So... beta will be in october, right?

I'll log in tomorrow and double check for you. Night night.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 10, 2011, 03:41:18 AM »
I'll log in tomorrow and double check for you. Night night.

So you have access to beta... how?

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 10, 2011, 03:50:44 AM »
So you have access to beta... how?

Hmm apparently not... at least not for my main EA account. meh.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 10, 2011, 06:53:45 AM »
Hmm apparently not... at least not for my main EA account. meh.

I don't understand. What did you mean about being in beta, and hinting to a closed beta vs open beta...?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 27, 2011, 08:33:42 AM »
First they said beta was for early september, then they declare it's the 29th.

Then they say that those who pre-order will get early access. Which is, apparently, by getting it on the 27th. We'll get emails, they say.

Oh, but not beforehand, we'll get emails *on the 27th*. And obviously, we can't pre-download.

For this, we had to use their client Origin. And apparently, some people already have "redeemed" their key and gotten early access. Why they make access to the beta email-dependant? I don't have the slightest idea. Likely would have been much easier for them to just activate it automatically instead of sending out emails... Instead, here I am waiting for that email still...

Now, I'm not whining about not getting "enough" beta time or whatever, I can live without beta access between the 10th and 25th of october no problem, I got plenty of other stuff to do. But this is rather annoying. They keep promising stuff, and then doing it in a way that makes one raise his eyebrows. Why bother announce that it will be available for a certain day if you can't have people preload it and all start playing at the exact same time?

Just sounds to me like they are trailing on their schedule, and are scrambling to give out what they planned when they planned it. Really gives the impression that the game will be, albeit quite an eye candy, buggy as hell when it comes out. Mind you, I didn't play the alpha, but I'm assuming that if they only let people play on 1 map, it's likely because they are only fully satisfied about that one map. It's what we won't see that concerns me the most.

Your thoughts?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 27, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
First they said beta was for early september, then they declare it's the 29th.

Then they say that those who pre-order will get early access. Which is, apparently, by getting it on the 27th. We'll get emails, they say.

Oh, but not beforehand, we'll get emails *on the 27th*. And obviously, we can't pre-download.

For this, we had to use their client Origin. And apparently, some people already have "redeemed" their key and gotten early access. Why they make access to the beta email-dependant? I don't have the slightest idea. Likely would have been much easier for them to just activate it automatically instead of sending out emails... Instead, here I am waiting for that email still...

Now, I'm not whining about not getting "enough" beta time or whatever, I can live without beta access between the 10th and 25th of october no problem, I got plenty of other stuff to do. But this is rather annoying. They keep promising stuff, and then doing it in a way that makes one raise his eyebrows. Why bother announce that it will be available for a certain day if you can't have people preload it and all start playing at the exact same time?

Just sounds to me like they are trailing on their schedule, and are scrambling to give out what they planned when they planned it. Really gives the impression that the game will be, albeit quite an eye candy, buggy as hell when it comes out. Mind you, I didn't play the alpha, but I'm assuming that if they only let people play on 1 map, it's likely because they are only fully satisfied about that one map. It's what we won't see that concerns me the most.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts is it sounds exactly like 90% of early release problems, which is why pre-orders are generally a suckers option with regards to getting any real benefit over people that buy it on day 1. At least with digital distribution you don't have to worry if your retailer can even COVER all the pre-orders they have taken.

And yes no doubt the game shipping date and the actual going to gold will be very tight, with probably very little time between code "completion" and going to gold. Again this is pretty typical of the game industry these days, which is why release day patches are so common
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 27, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »
And yes no doubt the game shipping date and the actual going to gold will be very tight, with probably very little time between code "completion" and going to gold. Again this is pretty typical of the game industry these days, which is why release day patches are so common

It's a problem with AAA titles where the marketing guys have more say than the designers, meaning deadlines get tighter and tighter the more they change.

I didn't play the demo myself at Eurogamer (1 and a half hour queues, sod that), but I talked to people who did and they said it looked nice and there was nothing obviously wrong with it. There must be some reason why the beta isn't out, but from what people have played so far, there isn't.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 28, 2011, 03:27:18 AM »
Graphics are awesome, I didn't expect to run it all on "high".

Disappointed in the gameplay, though. Feels like CoD or MoH or something. I mean, 32 players max? Why? A map with no vehicles? Why? Rush mode? Why?

Rush mode + no vehicle doesn't make it feel like the successor of Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2.