Author Topic: Emigrating as an adventurer  (Read 16209 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Emigrating as an adventurer
« Topic Start: September 07, 2011, 01:11:28 AM »
Is it possible to emigrate as an adventurer, or am I simply always in the wrong place / don't have enough money to do it?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating as an adventurer
« Reply #1: September 07, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »
Nope. Advies cannot emigrate.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 07, 2011, 01:28:29 AM »
Is it possible to emigrate as an adventurer, or am I simply always in the wrong place / don't have enough money to do it?

If it is possible:

Telling us the location of your character would be useful. As in, is it in your Capital City?
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 07, 2011, 02:18:32 AM »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 07, 2011, 03:09:50 AM »
Nope. Advies cannot emigrate.
What's the reasoning behind this?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

egamma

« Reply #5: September 07, 2011, 04:51:28 AM »
What's the reasoning behind this?

They are peasants and the sea captain will simply kill them and take their money once the ship leaves port.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: September 07, 2011, 05:01:50 AM »
They are peasants and the sea captain will simply kill them and take their money once the ship leaves port.

ouch but it is true. Though it would have been awesome if we could move our advies to another continent.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 07, 2011, 05:56:54 AM »
Considering how the average adventurer is super rich compared to the average peasant, crazy trained in swordfighting, and decked out in armour, this doesn't really fly with me

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 07, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »
Considering how the average adventurer is super rich compared to the average peasant, crazy trained in swordfighting, and decked out in armour, this doesn't really fly with me

You wear armour while you sleep in the cabin? Even a highly trained sword fighter isn't going to beat down an entire crew. The whole point is that the advy IS super rich, and a peasant, therefore his disappearance is unlikely to be noticed by anyone important.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 07, 2011, 06:40:24 AM »
That seems a little bit contrived to me, that's all I'm saying. Couldn't he just pose as a regular peasant / stow away / buy a ship himself with his fast fortunes?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 07, 2011, 06:47:53 AM »
That seems a little bit contrived to me, that's all I'm saying. Couldn't he just pose as a regular peasant / stow away / buy a ship himself with his fast fortunes?

Buy a ship? Who will crew it, who will sell such an expensive item to a lowly peasant? How do you expect that the nobility wouldn't be quite annoyed by a peasant trying to rise above his station in such a way? He could try stowing away, but really that is quite difficult to do on old sailing vessels, there wasn't that many places to hide really.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 07, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
Buy a ship? Who will crew it, who will sell such an expensive item to a lowly peasant? How do you expect that the nobility wouldn't be quite annoyed by a peasant trying to rise above his station in such a way? He could try stowing away, but really that is quite difficult to do on old sailing vessels, there wasn't that many places to hide really.
Nonetheless, those possibilities exist, and I don't really see a good reason why it shouldn't be in the game, being as the code for emigration is already there and it doesn't seem to make anything more fun for it to not be there.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 07, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
some idiot volunteering to be press ganged? lovely concept.
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 07, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
No offense, but all those excuses feel quite ..constructed. The reason advies can't emigrate is for OOC purposes, I assume. It's just one of the drawbacks of choosing the class.

A small, but very important, portion of the commoner aristocrats were the large merchants and bankers. While nobles and senior clergy often got involved in lending money, it was the commoners who did most of it. These pools of money were essential for economic growth. All manner of capital improvements, from ship building to industrial expansion, required a large amount of cash to get started. The nobles tended to spend their capital on building splendid homes and fortifications. The church pured much money into cathedrals and abbeys. But vital items like iron works, cloth factories and merchant ship fleets were largely built by entrepenurial commoners. These items produced more wealth, where castles and cathedrals did not. Eventually, this mass of commoner wealth turned into political power and this was beginning to happen even during the Medieval period.

http://www.hyw.com/books/history/Aristocr.htm (I'd look for a better source, but I have an exam in 4 hours :P

In the same way we assume the Nobles to be the very cream of nobility, with even the most basic knight far above average nobility, we probably need to assume Adventurers are far above peasants and the regular commoner. With sometimes enough money to outrank Lords and armour worth huge amounts of money, many Advies concentrate more wealth than many nobles.

I also think that we are pushing the boundaries of our Medieval apartheid too far. Many nobles will have been very pragmatic towards common people, certainly to those with power and money. I can hardly believe Jakob Fugger or Pieter Bladelin were unable to buy a boat, let alone kept from booking a passage.

It's fine tht Advies cannot travel, for some OOC reason. But please don't make up IG excuses for it?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 07, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »
Nonetheless, those possibilities exist, and I don't really see a good reason why it shouldn't be in the game, being as the code for emigration is already there and it doesn't seem to make anything more fun for it to not be there.

They really don't. Ships were a massive expense and quite prestigious and often supply limited. No dirty peasant is ever going to be able to purchase one. A rich merchant sure, some guy walking out the forest covered in blood with a bag full of gold, unlikely. You also need to remember that the act of a advy leaving his home realm results in a auto ban. Following that logic what do you think would happen to anyone that provided the means for them to leave their realm and continent?