Author Topic: Emigrating as an adventurer  (Read 16021 times)

Jens Namtrah

Re: Emigrating as an adventurer
« Reply #30: September 07, 2011, 12:19:45 PM »
Not just taking. That gold doesn't disappear, it goes to the region lords... I forsee at least five interesting ways for nobles to exploit this. And nobles should exploit commoners.

And I can think of 5 ways for advies to get around it.

And I think that with the current situation (meaning - too many advies, TMP issues and the like), ways that nobles can exploit advies is not really very high on the list of things people are thinking much about. Considering there is another popular thread about lords wanting to be able to turn over all the food management to the banker, I think micromanaging their estates is not really a very popular thing right now, and your coding efforts will go for naught.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 07, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
So, they sign on as a deckhand and then jump ship in a convenient port.  Just say (as has been said) it is for game play reasons

I can think of a million ways I'd rather see the dev team spend their time, personally. A million unfinished features. A million things that would add more fun to the game, instead of just taking 10 gold from advies every month.

Can you really think of any compelling game play reasons to allow advies to change realms, but not allow them to change continents. The reason I suggest the so called "fabrications" is because from previous discussions the only reason advies are restricted from emigration is that it fits with Toms perception of the pseudo-historical position advies fulfill within the pseudo-historical low fantasy setting, ie completely IG RP reasons as imagined by the worlds creator.

Also it is my understanding that sailing vessels very rarely would consent to allowing land lubbers work in an capacity on the ship. Sailing vessels can be somewhat complex and very space limited, men that don't know exactly what to do and when to do it only lower productivity and present risk. Besides they were a superstitious lot.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #32: September 07, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 07, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
Also, we have gone far off-topic. I thank De-Legro and Tom for broadening my view, though.:)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 07, 2011, 08:51:24 PM »
They may be rich compared to your average knight's active purse. But don't forget all the gold that even the average knight goes through on a regular basis. And I think the "rich" part is grossly overstated. In none of our game worlds do the top 10 adventurers (sorted by gold) own more than 100 gold. In most game worlds, only the top three or so own more than 100 gold. Only on Dwilight do more than two adventurers own more than 200 gold. On all game worlds, the average gold for adventurers is somewhere between 10 and 20 gold, while the average gold for nobles is at least 100 gold, except for the East Island (where it's slightly lower) and for Priests in the Colonies.

I do think, however, that we should look into taxation for adventurers again. I think on tax day they should be taxed by whatever region they happen to be in on that day, in addition to the realm taxes they already pay.

tom... my advy (ec) had i think 500 gold (or at least a few hundreds!) before i changed its class and sent most of that home..  (i think i sent 400 or 500 home.)

because he was getting taxed by the region.. after hitting the wealth tax or whatever limit.

i think the reason for the gold was me having double advy hunting together (and thus finding unique items to sell... let's say 50 gold each)... then again, the uniques didn't stop dropping after i paused the worse one... obviously i also sold all the common items before changing class...(gave away the last few when i can't be bothered to spend hours selling)

which reminds me that it probably should auto sell all common items when you change advy class->noble... for a fee if you can't be bothered to spend the hours.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:03:16 PM by fodder »
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #35: September 07, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »
tom... my advy (ec) had i think 500 gold (or at least a few hundreds!) before i changed its class and sent most of that home..  (i think i sent 400 or 500 home.)

A single exception does not invalidate the rule. As of when I checked a couple hours ago, in the entire game, there was exactly one adventurer with more than 500 gold on his person. I posted what the average values are. That there are a couple adventurers (about half a dozen per game world) that have as much gold as most simple knights doesn't mean that adventurers in general are rich. On the contrary, in general they are considerably poorer than nobles in general.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 07, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »
of course.. but i can only imagine those who would be interested in migrating would be the ones who regularly find uniques to sell and thus can get lots of gold to do the migrating. otherwise they might as well just pause and create a new advy.

they would be the ones who's already got 100% in both sets of equipment too. i don't know why.. but one of my advies kept finding uniques in the same few regions. 16 in total between oct 2010 to aug 2011.. the other advy not equipment maxed out found 2.
firefox

Keithson

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 08, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
quote author=Tom link=topic=1222.msg24077#msg24077 date=1315423623]
As of when I checked a couple hours ago, in the entire game, there was exactly one adventurer with more than 500 gold on his person. I posted what the average values are.[/quote]

Not to argue with you Tom, but did you factor in gold in the Adventurer's name in guild/temple treasuries? I don't know about other Adventurer's, but that's what I did/do to avoid paying the 1 silver "tax" per turn. It's only 'paper' gold, (i.e. guild might fold, embezelment) but may tip the scales in the Adventurers favor a little more. As an Adventurer in Giblot's Liberty Party guild, I've got about 50 gold, (at last check though... which was a while ago. Plus the whole 'Giblot losing' thing might have emptied out the treasury) but could have stocked away much more if I had been consistent at it.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 08, 2011, 08:38:52 AM »
quote author=Tom link=topic=1222.msg24077#msg24077 date=1315423623]
As of when I checked a couple hours ago, in the entire game, there was exactly one adventurer with more than 500 gold on his person. I posted what the average values are.

Not to argue with you Tom, but did you factor in gold in the Adventurer's name in guild/temple treasuries? I don't know about other Adventurer's, but that's what I did/do to avoid paying the 1 silver "tax" per turn. It's only 'paper' gold, (i.e. guild might fold, embezelment) but may tip the scales in the Adventurers favor a little more. As an Adventurer in Giblot's Liberty Party guild, I've got about 50 gold, (at last check though... which was a while ago. Plus the whole 'Giblot losing' thing might have emptied out the treasury) but could have stocked away much more if I had been consistent at it.

I've never thought that 1 silver per day was so steep that I had to try and avoid it :) Guilds aren't banks so I wouldn't think the gold is counted, it is perfectly possible for a guild to owe more credit to its members then it actually has in the treasury to provide.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #39: September 08, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
Not to argue with you Tom, but did you factor in gold in the Adventurer's name in guild/temple treasuries?

No, I haven't. Neither for adventurers nor for nobles. It would've been a bit more complicated to check for that as well.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: September 08, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
As an advy I wouldn't dare to put all my cash in a guild, in fear of some stuckup noble running away with it

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 08, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
They may be rich compared to your average knight's active purse. But don't forget all the gold that even the average knight goes through on a regular basis. And I think the "rich" part is grossly overstated. In none of our game worlds do the top 10 adventurers (sorted by gold) own more than 100 gold. In most game worlds, only the top three or so own more than 100 gold. Only on Dwilight do more than two adventurers own more than 200 gold. On all game worlds, the average gold for adventurers is somewhere between 10 and 20 gold, while the average gold for nobles is at least 100 gold, except for the East Island (where it's slightly lower) and for Priests in the Colonies.

Yay, i'm in the top 3  8)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 13, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, how many adventurers on Dwilight have more than 200 gold?

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 17, 2011, 02:58:23 AM »
Whenever my adventurer has over 300 gold I walk to a few guildhouses and refill the treasuries.  Thats happened a few times and once when i was in jail the judge stole 400 gold from me, which is why I started depositing it of course.  Tom is correct that this is the exception and not the role.  Though I still believe it is absurd to not allow adventurers to immigrate.  However, its Tom's game and if he doesn't want it thats the end of the story.  So why is this still being discussed?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: September 17, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
Though I still believe it is absurd to not allow adventurers to immigrate.  However, its Tom's game and if he doesn't want it thats the end of the story.  So why is this still being discussed?

Perhaps because he is not an omnipotent being, and maybe his opinions could, in theory, be swayed through rational discussion?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre