Author Topic: Who else plays by phone? Or how do you play?  (Read 19778 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
Re: Who else plays by phone? Or how do you play?
« Reply #45: September 18, 2011, 01:43:30 PM »
I would assume the default on an Android would be a Chrome-based browser...

The default browser on Android is based on the WebKit engine(same as Chrome uses) and uses Chromes JavaScript engine. So it's essentially a bit stripped down version of Chrome.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: September 19, 2011, 03:03:14 PM »
I don't have the internet right now. I've been using the mobile site to play, but I've had to write messages and stuff (I had a war to start!) It's been pretty horrific at times. Using a Blackberry Curve with Opera Mini. Once you input a message you have to use the back key to get out of the text field. At which point it tries to autoload a preview. Often though, it seems to duplicate the message text twice so I have to mess about deleting the text and then trying to beat the auto-refresh to hit the preview button a couple of times to just get one copy of the letter I want to send. Definitely discourages you from making anything more than essential communications.

Love being able to do all the button pressing via mobile. Messages are challenging.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: September 26, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
I've been playing BM on my galaxy s for over a year. I never knew about the mobile site until now.

I'd suggest that the main website auto redirects to the mobile version if you're using a phone - it'll stop people like me failing to realise it's there  :)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: September 26, 2011, 12:35:15 AM »
I've been playing BM on my galaxy s for over a year. I never knew about the mobile site until now.

I'd suggest that the main website auto redirects to the mobile version if you're using a phone - it'll stop people like me failing to realise it's there  :)

Or at least add a prominent link to it somewhere :)
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: September 26, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
I hate it when sites auto-redirect you to a mobile site. Give the mobile user a link. Make it publicly known that a mobile site is available. Etc. Sometimes you *want* the full desktop site, but the brainless redirects keep sending you back to the crippled mobile site, and you can't get done what you need to get done. This is extremely irritating when you *know* your phone can handle the full site.

Anyway, I'll see if we can get a newsticker post about the existence of the mobile site.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #50: September 26, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
Why not a link on the login page:

I forgot my password  |  Enter mobile site

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: September 26, 2011, 04:08:38 PM »
Why not a link on the login page:

I forgot my password  |  Enter mobile site
Sounds like a good place for a link to the mobile site.

Zakath

• Peasant
  • Take my advice. I don't use it anyway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: September 26, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »
The mobile site works quite well for me, has some small issues with the rendering of the menu and the links are far too small but other than that pretty decent.

Things I'd do for the mobile site:
- The aforementioned link from the main site
- Change the links to be button'ish. Could be as simple as just padding them all, would especially help for mobile phones. Tablets are better but you can still mis-click.
- Use a bit more HTML5. Not the fancy stuff, but just simple things like <input type="email"/>, which helps with the correct keyboard. It also degrades gracefully to a normal <input type="text"/> on HTML4 browsers.

In general though, on my GalaxyTab 10.1 it looks pretty decent and works quite well.
On my Galaxy S2 it works decently, but the visuals are horrible. There's just a bit too much info and choices for a screen of that size, neither of which is exactly easy to deal with :)

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: October 28, 2011, 12:36:10 AM »
PSP for me.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 06, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
When I'm outta home, I use the mobile site on my Nokia and everything seems fine except one thing. In dwilight, the message editor doesn't recognise new paragraphs when one sends a message.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:48:12 PM by Cren »
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: April 06, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
I use the mobile site sometimes as well, from my phone. Also, I use the forum's WAP2 layout from my phone. (I'm using it to write this post.)

The editor issues should be fixed soon, I hope.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: April 06, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
I use very often the Iphone to play.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."