Author Topic: A Fresh Start  (Read 8934 times)

Shady

• Testers
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
A Fresh Start
« Topic Start: September 10, 2011, 12:59:58 AM »
I was just looking at a map of the east continent and got thinking to myself, what if every city and stronghold turned into a new realm. Not only that, but every other region went rogue as well, and everyone had a chance at a "fresh start" choosing a new, or old, city and realm to be part of. It could give everyone, say 3 days to pick their city and realm and after three days, the "city and stronghold gates open". However there are no maps, so nobody knows where anything is, or what is out there. Say you start in a city located where Ashforth is, and you travel south blindly, you could run right into Oligarch or Krimml gates and get decimated, or get ambushed by monsters/undead along the way. It would be like when Dwilight first opened, there would be the black clouds over most of the continent, so you can't see what your heading into, but also with a Beluterra twist, not letting you travel into certain regions as well. There could also be a diplomacy limit, you can only have so many allies, and such and even before you can raise relations with anyone, you have to find them on your map and make contact with the realm.I think this would encourage a lot more interactions, and could also open up something for more options, like gifts, tributes, demands and threats. Each one could raise or lower your standing with the realm (obviously) and instead of just helping the standing with whoever is ruler, it could also raise or lower the realms standing with the other realms populations (lessor nobles, peasants and so on).  Also, instead of limiting how far a realm can expand out, there could be a limit on how much a realm can expand, regardless of how many nobles are there. This would put an end to any one, or few realms really holding power and make it so the continent is always balanced and fun. Of course I used the East Continent as an example cause I was looking at the map, so this would probably work best on a new continent all together, perhaps reset Dwilight? lol j/k. Anyway, I think this would really be a huge game changer and be incredibly fun to play around with.

Sorry so long, been thinking about this for a long time actually lol  :D

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: A Fresh Start
« Reply #1: September 10, 2011, 01:53:40 AM »
I was just looking at a map of the east continent and got thinking to myself, what if every city and stronghold turned into a new realm.
Just because you have a crappy realm doesn't mean everyone else has to have one, too.

Also: No resets.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 10, 2011, 01:54:55 AM »
EC doesn't have resets, and I can imagine that a number of people would not like to see this.

IMO, though, if BT ever fails in an invasion, the other continents should suffer for it and start being plagued themselves.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 10, 2011, 02:23:19 AM »
IMO, though, if BT ever fails in an invasion, the other continents should suffer for it and start being plagued themselves.

I completely agree, and two of my characters are making serious preparations for when that day comes.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 10, 2011, 02:50:17 AM »
I completely agree, and two of my characters are making serious preparations for when that day comes.

BT is humanity's first line of defence. If we fail, they will follow.

Oh, the burden upon our shoulders!  8)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 10, 2011, 03:16:03 AM »
BT is humanity's first line of defence. If we fail, they will follow.

Oh, the burden upon our shoulders!  8)

Would be interesting if that did happen. A full reset when it all comes tumbling down? Or a concerted effort with every Noble emigrating to one realm and one continent to drive back the darkness and reclaim it all?

Actually that would be pretty cool!
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: September 10, 2011, 04:59:08 AM »
I have set this many times:

BattleMaster will never be reset. An ongoing history going back 10+ years in some places is one of the main unique points of the game. Not many games have something even remotely like that, and I'm not going to throw that away just because some people don't like their realms.

If you don't like your realm, leave it or change it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 10, 2011, 06:55:45 AM »
Would be interesting if that did happen. A full reset when it all comes tumbling down? Or a concerted effort with every Noble emigrating to one realm and one continent to drive back the darkness and reclaim it all?

Actually that would be pretty cool!

The way I see it, if BT falls, then other continents should start having invasions just as BT had. And in-between invasions, everyone gets a chance to try to recolonize BT, like at startup, to establish a foothold to push back the evils and therefore prevent them from going back to the old continents.

This, IMO, would open for interesting gameplay and storylines.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 10, 2011, 07:22:35 AM »
The way I see it, if BT falls, then other continents should start having invasions just as BT had. And in-between invasions, everyone gets a chance to try to recolonize BT, like at startup, to establish a foothold to push back the evils and therefore prevent them from going back to the old continents.

This, IMO, would open for interesting gameplay and storylines.
I think this idea is really awesome, but I get the feeling a lot of people on the more established continents wouldn't like this all that much. They don't play on BT for a reason.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 10, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »
I think this idea is really awesome, but I get the feeling a lot of people on the more established continents wouldn't like this all that much. They don't play on BT for a reason.

They should help with its defense indirectly if they don't want to help it directly. ;)

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #10: September 10, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »

Yes, there's a reason. They might lose their long-time positions.

How long would Sordaz remain in power, for example, if he actually had to take an active role in BoM's defense against a daemon horde?

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 10, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
Yes, there's a reason. They might lose their long-time positions.

How long would Sordaz remain in power, for example, if he actually had to take an active role in BoM's defense against a daemon horde?

You really zero in on lazy councilmembers lately (not saying Sordnaz is one of them, probably not considering he has been in power forever). But most characters do not hold rulership even close to that long.

I'm starting to wonder if the hammer thing has happend to you. If you only have a hammer, then every problem is a nail :)

I don't know about the rest of you but the reason I don't play on BT is because I like fighting other humans more than monsters/undead. I've played many games and I've always prefered people to be my opponents. I play computers when I do not have access to people, and that is about it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 03:58:04 PM by Kain »
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Shady

• Testers
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 10, 2011, 04:25:09 PM »
I would like to mention this thread has nothing to do with a "reset" and I am actually very happy with my realm, thank you very much. This was just simply an idea I had and thought it was worth sharing. I said the East Continent simply because that was the map I was looking at, not because I think it should be reset or anything like that.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 10, 2011, 04:27:32 PM »

I don't know about the rest of you but the reason I don't play on BT is because I like fighting other humans more than monsters/undead. I've played many games and I've always prefered people to be my opponents. I play computers when I do not have access to people, and that is about it.

Let me advise you to go to BT before you have an opinion about the invasion game, its completly diferent, something you never seen before.
The three invading factions all have there own characteristics, played in my opinion very well by most of the three.
Its one of the most awesome climaxes the game has to offer.
Never have i seen so much battles, so much destruction, such massive all covering story line(s), so many characters die and such a complex 'diplomacy'/plotting and deep cold hearted betrayl. One word: Awesome!

Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 10, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »
Let me advise you to go to BT before you have an opinion about the invasion game, its completly diferent, something you never seen before.
The three invading factions all have there own characteristics, played in my opinion very well by most of the three.
Its one of the most awesome climaxes the game has to offer.
Never have i seen so much battles, so much destruction, such massive all covering story line(s), so many characters die and such a complex 'diplomacy'/plotting and deep cold hearted betrayl. One word: Awesome!

Wow you do sell it well, I'll give you that.

I did play on BT before back in '05 but I assume from your explaination that it is a lot better now. I also didn't play for very long there.

Perhaps I should give it another chance then, when chance opens up. If Svetlana ever succeeds in becoming a noble i.e ;)
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)