Author Topic: Better Trading = More Fun Trader Class  (Read 19029 times)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Better Trading = More Fun Trader Class
« Reply #45: October 10, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
Eh, its choosing between bandits stealing your gold or your own unit from their low morale. I'll take my chances with the bandits *knocks on wood*

*keeps knocking on wood the entire road home*

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: October 10, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
funny thing... a few days ago. noble, scout, healer and 8 trucks KOing bandits (only ~100 gold on noble)

During your travels, you are suddenly attacked by a group of bandits.
Fighting heroically, you manage to drive them away. You have merely lost one hour of travel time to the incident.
You find the route more difficult than you guessed, and will take one hour longer for the trip than planned.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: October 11, 2011, 03:50:48 AM »
Guards also protect you from getting attacked by monsters. If you don't have soldiers, the monsters in the region can attack and steal your caravans even while you are traveling. This is different than normal battles. Even if you evade battle, the monsters can still attack and raid your caravans. If you don't have enough soldiers, the monsters can eat your food.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: October 11, 2011, 03:51:48 AM »
Guards also protect you from getting attacked by monsters. If you don't have soldiers, the monsters in the region can attack and steal your caravans even while you are traveling. This is different than normal battles. Even if you evade battle, the monsters can still attack and raid your caravans. If you don't have enough soldiers, the monsters can eat your food.

I've never seen that with traders, I have seen it with Lord Caravans though
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: October 11, 2011, 04:01:49 AM »
Had it happen once to me not long after it got put in. My unit of 55 SF got shredded.  Half dead and the other half wounded. :'(

I think Tim turned it down a bit after that...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: October 12, 2011, 05:43:53 AM »

I have never seen this nor heard of it before now.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: October 12, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
well, in which case, maybe you could just get rid of the trader merc getting pissed away from home thing? (or dial it right down for traders)

or yet another setting called something other than merc and made only available to traders that does the same thing.

(i just got robbed 5 gold XD out of 100 odd)
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: October 12, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »
well, in which case, maybe you could just get rid of the trader merc getting pissed away from home thing? (or dial it right down for traders)

or yet another setting called something other than merc and made only available to traders that does the same thing.

It already is reduced for troops set to mercenary.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: October 12, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »

A group of bandit jumps out of the bushes, armed to the teeth, completely gsurounding you and your caravans.

"Ha, give me 5% of ALL your gold or taste my steel!"

???
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: October 12, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »
i know it's reduced for mercs, what i'm saying is, reduce it even further - for trader and not merc
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: October 12, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »
i know it's reduced for mercs, what i'm saying is, reduce it even further - for trader and not merc

Mecenaries already cost 50% more than normal troops, for a return that is not all that considerable. Perhaps we should simply boost the merc benefits, either by reducing distance penalties more (I'm under the impression they suffer a fraction of normal penalties, so this would consist in making them suffer a smaller penalty) or by setting a distance cap after which going farther doesn't give any greater penalties, which would particularily help on Dwi where people have to go pretty far. Or both.

As it is, mercenary troops don't seem to do their role very well at all, especially not for that considerable salary hike.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: October 12, 2011, 09:31:07 PM »
i mention trader rather than merc because the extra benefit should go to traders, rather than any old noble who command merc. similarly the guards paraphernalia

---
come to think of it. i wouldn't be adverse to mercs being something akin to sf altogether.. a different unit type that can be anything (ranged, melee, whatever), with its own wage multiplier and simply remove merc settings
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:35:20 PM by fodder »
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: October 13, 2011, 05:45:38 AM »
i mention trader rather than merc because the extra benefit should go to traders, rather than any old noble who command merc. similarly the guards paraphernalia

---
come to think of it. i wouldn't be adverse to mercs being something akin to sf altogether.. a different unit type that can be anything (ranged, melee, whatever), with its own wage multiplier and simply remove merc settings

Better/no distance from realm penalties. Larger battle morale penalties, desertion rates, and unpaid intolerance. That would sound like true mercenaries to me.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: October 13, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
I generally got between 30-50 gold for exotic trades, never saw anything as low as 5 gold. I wonder if the distance or the size of the trade affects the exotic income.

Distance and possibly quantity of food sold, or number of caravans.

It depends quite heavily on the price of what you are selling the food for. On EC, I made a trip of the entire island, but sold the food for very cheap (paid by bonds transfer). Got hardly any exotic goods.

egamma

« Reply #59: October 18, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
Better/no distance from realm penalties. Larger battle morale penalties, desertion rates, and unpaid intolerance. That would sound like true mercenaries to me.

Yes, this would be the most helpful.