Author Topic: Test Run Launched  (Read 12801 times)

Zane

• Knight
  • Ignore that sociopathic stuff. We're quite nice!
    • View Profile
Re: Test Run Launched
« Reply #15: September 15, 2011, 05:25:15 AM »
I think I'm either not understanding the energy costs, or there's a bug somewhere.

My character currently shows as having 4.32 energy and 20 concentration.  I went into the parser and tried to cast a control/mind power level 4 spell and it's telling me he doesn't have enough energy.  His skill is control 5, mind 1, so the energy cost should be 4 (power level)/1 (base skill) = 4, right?  So why is the parser saying he doesn't have enough energy?

Zakilevo

« Reply #16: September 15, 2011, 05:56:57 AM »
So once the game launches, are we going to make each people to start their RP on individual threads or are we going to start a topic threat with a place name and whoever wants to start in those locations start from there and move to other threads if their characters move to another location?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:16:46 AM by Zakilevo »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: September 15, 2011, 11:56:33 AM »
I think I'm either not understanding the energy costs, or there's a bug somewhere.

My character currently shows as having 4.32 energy and 20 concentration.  I went into the parser and tried to cast a control/mind power level 4 spell and it's telling me he doesn't have enough energy.  His skill is control 5, mind 1, so the energy cost should be 4 (power level)/1 (base skill) = 4, right?  So why is the parser saying he doesn't have enough energy?

You can check the spell details in your spell list, and it should tell you there how much energy and concentration casting that spell would cost you at your current values.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #18: September 15, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »
how often do we get exp and energy back?

XP and Concentration - every hour
Energy - four times a day, every 6 hours.

Zane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 15, 2011, 05:12:54 PM »
You can check the spell details in your spell list, and it should tell you there how much energy and concentration casting that spell would cost you at your current values.

The spell details say 4 energy (the spell is [#4|Mental nudge], control/mind/2/2/1, [4|5b1cd6049b649431c3aed23004d93a7f0ecfb2e8]), my character's current power is still at 4.34 (it's been more than 6 hours, shouldn't it have gone up by now?), and the verify still says I don't have enough energy.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #20: September 15, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
can you give me the exact text you feed into the parser (PM if you want), please ?

Zane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 15, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »
can you give me the exact text you feed into the parser (PM if you want), please ?

Nothing more than:
Code: [Select]
[#4|Mental nudge]

cjnodell

« Reply #22: September 15, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
I might be thinking on the wrong track, but it seems that automatically regaining concentration hourly might get in the way of some interesting story telling. For example, if I want to RP my character as always going for days on end with little chance to rest due to being hunted, he should really not be gaining concentration at the full rate. I would want my character to be limited in what he can cast until he finally gets some real rest. If He then sleeps for 13 hours upon reaching safety, should he not gain some kind quicker concentration gain.

As it is I will simply be gaining the same concentration back regardless of weather I RP my character as getting rest or not... Just a random thought is all...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: September 15, 2011, 07:44:21 PM »
Nothing more than:
Code: [Select]
[#4|Mental nudge]
Ok, try again, it should now tell you how much energy it thinks you would need.

As it is I will simply be gaining the same concentration back regardless of weather I RP my character as getting rest or not... Just a random thought is all...

The basic idea is that this is concentration on magical things. You can be physically exhausted independently.

cjnodell

« Reply #24: September 15, 2011, 07:54:13 PM »
Got it. So spell casters have a store of concentration for use on magic and a store of concentration for everything else. Completely separate.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 15, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
Or you could just, you know, not cast spells if you think your character should be too tired to do so.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

cjnodell

« Reply #26: September 15, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
True. However, I always prefer it when the mechanical numbers match the in story situation. I figured I should point out any potential discrepancies. If such turns out not to be a discrepancy, than I would be educated and we all benefit. This was the case here. If it had indeed been a discrepancy then I would want it known as soon as possible so a suitable solution could be found.

Honestly, I am getting tired of these slightly hostile responses from many of the people here on the forums. Just because an answer/solution is quite clear from where you stand does not mean it is just as clear from where others stand. These "duh, so obvious" responses are far from welcoming and serve little other than to making one feel better about themselves. However, if that is the accepted culture here, then I guess I might as well just get used to it.

Thanks for responding though!

cjnodell

« Reply #27: September 15, 2011, 08:18:29 PM »
When the actual game starts will all story additions be held in a single thread, or will it be possible to have different threads of different locations and such? It would be nice to be able to selectively read only posts that pertain to your character.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #28: September 15, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Got it. So spell casters have a store of concentration for use on magic and a store of concentration for everything else. Completely separate.

Well, basically, "concentration" means how well you can focus on spellcasting.

Zane

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 15, 2011, 09:02:09 PM »
Ok, try again, it should now tell you how much energy it thinks you would need.

It is now telling me that I need 4 energy: "not enough energy (would require 4)"  However, my character still shows as having 4.34 energy, so shouldn't he be able to cast it?