Author Topic: New Estates and Lordly Protection  (Read 2605 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
New Estates and Lordly Protection
« Topic Start: September 14, 2011, 12:24:37 AM »
So marks are leaving. Sure, no problem there, they were rather pointless in most cases anyways.

And so is the protection from bans for having 3 good marks, and therefore I suppose the possibility to force a duke to secede at 3 bad marks?

[14:11] <+Sacha> so no more invulnerability from judges from getting 3 good marks?
[14:12] <@_Tom_> Sacha: No invulnerability. One of the changes in this system is that we have a lot fewer game-mechanics restrictions and rely more on players checking what happens to them. So you can resize a knights estate or kick him out and the game doesn't stop you, but unless he's a pussy, there should be consequences.
[14:21] <@_Tom_> Ramiel: Yes, there is - but not a game mechanic. One change is that I hope that added flexibility will also make you the players pass laws, rules, regulations that you enforce yourselves. I find laws that can be broken and thus have consequences a lot more interesting than a "you can't do this" message from the game engine.
[14:21] <@_Tom_> So basically, the idea is that a lord should stand up for his knights. But he has to do it himself instead of hiding behind game-mechanics.

While I can understand where you are coming from, I must say I liked the balance that was created by the lordly protection. It was a hinderence to the judge, but did not leave him without any options at all (the only problem I had with it, however, was that good marks stayed regardless of what happens to the lord, I believe, and that therefore one knight could have been given over 9000 good marks over the years and would have therefore never been possible to ban even if the lord wanted so).

The reason I liked it was because it wasn't a restriction decided upon by game mechanics, such as when we couldn't loot allies or how traders may only hire mercenary troops. It was the result of someone higher in the hierarchy deciding that he was willing to risk himself for his vassal, therefore pitting the judge against the lord instead of the knight who has way less contacts and means to defend himself against wrongful accusations or radical judgements. With the lordly protection, his liege could easily say "yes, he might deserve punishment, but nothing more than X, or you'll have to pass through me", offering a more moderate stance in his conflict against the judge. However, for most lords, this would basically mean drawing a huge target on yourself and hoping you stand well enough among the other nobles so that if he does take a shot at you they'll have his throat for it. It allows more experienced players to cover for newbs against unruly judges, and for manipulative or ambitious lords to protect their trouble-making cronies until they are ready for something bigger.

I think it was a good mechanic, as it allowed for some cases where the judge would have to pick on someone closer to their caliber if they want to use their full power. It created more opportunities for conflict and tensions, if you ask me, and a modified version would be a nice addition to the new system. Like, say, a proclamation of protection that takes two days to take effect and two to cancel? Or instantaneous?

It also brings the question about forcing the duke to secede. This too I believe was a good thing, and unless an alternative equivalent is put in place, will disappear much like lordly protection.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:29:26 AM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: New Estates and Lordly Protection
« Reply #1: September 14, 2011, 01:23:35 AM »
There may be other things added again in the future. Right now, I am stripping a lot of things out that didn't really add all that much to the game, because I am essentially moving the entire code over to a new backend system, which is a huge project, and I'm not carrying anything with me that I don't need.

Once everything is running smoothly, new additions will be easier than in the past, so there will probably be some. Because I did like the idea of the marks, but the implementation could probably be improved so they are then used more.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 14, 2011, 01:36:07 AM »
So marks are leaving. Sure, no problem there, they were rather pointless in most cases anyways.

And so is the protection from bans for having 3 good marks, and therefore I suppose the possibility to dissolve an oath at 3 bad marks?

While I can understand where you are coming from, I must say I liked the balance that was created by the lordly protection. It was a hinderence to the judge, but did not leave him without any options at all (the only problem I had with it, however, was that good marks stayed regardless of what happens to the lord, I believe, and that therefore one knight could have been given over 9000 good marks over the years and would have therefore never been possible to ban even if the lord wanted so).

The reason I liked it was because it wasn't a restriction decided upon by game mechanics, such as when we couldn't loot allies or how traders may only hire mercenary troops. It was the result of someone higher in the hierarchy deciding that he was willing to risk himself for his vassal, therefore pitting the judge against the lord instead of the knight who has way less contacts and means to defend himself against wrongful accusations or radical judgements. With the lordly protection, his liege could easily say "yes, he might deserve punishment, but nothing more than X, or you'll have to pass through me", offering a more moderate stance in his conflict against the judge. However, for most lords, this would basically mean drawing a huge target on yourself and hoping you stand well enough among the other nobles so that if he does take a shot at you they'll have his throat for it. It allows more experienced players to cover for newbs against unruly judges, and for manipulative or ambitious lords to protect their trouble-making cronies until they are ready for something bigger.

I think it was a good mechanic, as it allowed for some cases where the judge would have to pick on someone closer to their caliber if they want to use their full power. It created more opportunities for conflict and tensions, if you ask me, and a modified version would be a nice addition to the new system. Like, say, a proclamation of protection that takes two days to take effect and two to cancel? Or instantaneous?

It also brings the question about forcing the duke to secede. This too I believe was a good thing, and unless an alternative equivalent is put in place, will disappear much like lordly protection.

I agree with you. However, I see where Tom is coming from in that this kind of thing very, very rarely seems to happen. At least, in my personal experience, I don't think I've ever truly seen this kind of thing happen. It's unfortunate, because you are right that it's a really good idea and should have added a very neat dynamic to the game.

However, for some reason, it hasn't really done this, IMO. Marks aren't often used it seems. Perhaps due to the fact that the relationship between a Lord their Knight just isn't valued like it should be. Perhaps this is due to the way estates are now and Knights come and go and all a Lord if trying to do is get someone to fill that estate slot they need. Perhaps for some other reason, I don't know. But I see what Tom is saying in that it really hasn't had the impact on the game that it should have.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 14, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »

I agree with you. However, I see where Tom is coming from in that this kind of thing very, very rarely seems to happen. At least, in my personal experience, I don't think I've ever truly seen this kind of thing happen. It's unfortunate, because you are right that it's a really good idea and should have added a very neat dynamic to the game.

However, for some reason, it hasn't really done this, IMO. Marks aren't often used it seems. Perhaps due to the fact that the relationship between a Lord their Knight just isn't valued like it should be. Perhaps this is due to the way estates are now and Knights come and go and all a Lord if trying to do is get someone to fill that estate slot they need. Perhaps for some other reason, I don't know. But I see what Tom is saying in that it really hasn't had the impact on the game that it should have.

Well, honestly, I think the protection from +3 marks was one of the reasons they weren't used. Most lords don't want to be responsible for their knights. Often, that bound truly is very weak.

However, in the cases where the bond is stronger, that option has been used. I've used it myself many times, had it used to protect me, and cursed many times about how a duke couldn't do it to his vassals.

Marks and Lordly protection are two mechanics that do not need to be tied together. As I said, I have no issue whatsoever in seeing the marks go, and I overall understand where Tom is coming from with these changes. But I think the lordly protection mechanic, tweaked for a post-mark BM, would be a good element to have around.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 14, 2011, 02:54:41 AM »
And so is the protection from bans for having 3 good marks, and therefore I suppose the possibility to dissolve an oath at 3 bad marks?
A lord can kick a knight off his estate any time, for any reason, or no reason at all, with no warning. Just one click and *poof*.

Well, to be honest, the only times I ever saw bad marks used was when the lord wanted to kick out a knight. And then it was one bad mark per turn until you hit -3, then *bam*. So as far as I can see, they really aren't needed. Knight pissing you off? Shrink his estate. That will get his attention. Still pissing you off? Kick him out of his estate. Makes bad marks rather irrelevant, IMO.

I will be sorry to see lord's protection of his knights go, though. While I've never needed to fight with a judge about it, it was nice to have it. Yes, you can fight for your knight against the judge. But if the judge acts first, then your knight is already banned. And you're fighting an uphill battle against a ban and a judge, and a realm of nobles that's probably only marginally motivated to help. So, really I would like to see some form of automated protection for knights. Even if it's just a check mark on the Your Knights screen. It would be nice to have something that would help you, without having to fight the whole "let's pass a law" thing in *every* realm...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 14, 2011, 03:28:42 AM »
A lord can kick a knight off his estate any time, for any reason, or no reason at all, with no warning. Just one click and *poof*.
Well, to be honest, the only times I ever saw bad marks used was when the lord wanted to kick out a knight. And then it was one bad mark per turn until you hit -3, then *bam*. So as far as I can see, they really aren't needed. Knight pissing you off? Shrink his estate. That will get his attention. Still pissing you off? Kick him out of his estate. Makes bad marks rather irrelevant, IMO.

I don't know what that sentence was doing there, I thought I removed it when I recalled that oaths could now be simply dissolved. Maybe I couldn't find the sentence in my text and thought I hadn't written it, not sure. In any case, this thread is really not about the option to dissolve an oath, but about being able to protect knights from bans and about the ruler being able to force a duke to secede.

I will be sorry to see lord's protection of his knights go, though. While I've never needed to fight with a judge about it, it was nice to have it. Yes, you can fight for your knight against the judge. But if the judge acts first, then your knight is already banned. And you're fighting an uphill battle against a ban and a judge, and a realm of nobles that's probably only marginally motivated to help. So, really I would like to see some form of automated protection for knights. Even if it's just a check mark on the Your Knights screen. It would be nice to have something that would help you, without having to fight the whole "let's pass a law" thing in *every* realm...

Indeed. Once he's banned, it's an uphill battle... and a battle against the clock, too. It helps tensions if the apathic masses serve to protect trouble-doers (as they passively do in a system of passive protection) as opposed to serving the judge (as they do without such a system, as they will typically only react against radical measures).