Author Topic: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE  (Read 24911 times)

Tom

  • Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 8199
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Topic Start: September 14, 2011, 01:44:34 AM »
Someone posted correctly that it's hard to start in a vacuum. So for the test run, here is the setting:


Mahrstadt, a small town of maybe 5000 people, located on a small island within the colonies. Aside from the town, there are a dozen or so villages on the island, and an old, abandoned fortress that is rumoured to be haunted.

All of you have arrived during the past few days on ships from whatever places you want to hail from. After an unusually strong and sudden storm last night, many of the ships in port are damaged, two of them beyond repair. The remainder of the harbour hasn't fared much better. Fortunately, Mahrstadt does not rely on imports by sea and the island is self-sufficient except for luxury goods. Unfortunately, your onwards journeys if you had planned any, will be delayed for a week at best.

Some say that the storm was not entirely natural. Others tell of an old folk tale, that storms will ravage the island every night, and on the 3rd night, strange flying, man-like creatures will start to pick unwary people off the streets. Many of the supersitious locals are boarding up their windows and staying at home at night...


Take it from here. Use your current characters with whatever skills and spells you have, put them into the parser.

[update: commit is now there.]


Suggested workflow: Write out your roleplay in the parser, get it parsed, post the result here, copy&paste the result header (with the energy, etc. used) here as well.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:49:24 PM by Tom »

Bedwyr

  • Mighty Duke
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #1: September 14, 2011, 02:32:03 AM »
Garath stepped into the public house, grateful he had invested in his very thick, very waterproof cloak.  He flashed a smile at the tavern wench who looked over, and despite the tense atmosphere she grinned back at the well-dressed young rogue.  He flicked his cloak open and his eyes gleamed as he used a touch of energy to cast Skim Thoughts on her.  Weariness, wariness over the storm and the old legends, unhappiness at the lack of customers, distaste for the grandsir in the corner who could not keep his hands to himself...Ah, there was what he wanted, wonder at whether the young lord would want a tumble later, handsome enough and has coin.

He winked, and took a look at the room, pursing his lips.  He cast a tentative Gauge Room and nodded regretfully.  Too few, and too dismal to be worth his efforts in storytelling tonight.  A pity, as while his purse was flush now, he never missed an opportunity to fill it.  Or add a few more, at that.

He found a corner table with no difficulty given the half-empty state of the place, and set his back up against the wall, signalling the friendly barmaid.  His smile was back in force as she undulated up.  He approved of women who knew how to use their curves.

"Anything I can get for you this evenin', milord"

"If you were sitting in this chair after a long, frustrating, wet day, and you had coin to spend" he flashed a few silvers between his fingers "what would you have?"

She raised her eyebrows, sizing him up...

"Depends, milord, on how many of those silvers I had.  If I had, say, five of them to drop, I would have the saffron fish and the white wine.  Of course, if I had a gold to spend, then I would have the the pastry-beef and I would ask for the special red."

Garath laughed, and his hand flashed, reappearing with three golds between his fingers.

"Then I shall have the beef and the special red...And you should join me, miss...?"

She glanced around the lackluster room, and then smiled.

"Wendella, milord.  And that I will, since you're buyin'."

"Please...Call me Garath."


Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

    4.00 concentration expended
    2.67 energy expended
    4 XP in Perceive gained
    2 XP in Mind gained
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

  • Guest
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #2: September 14, 2011, 04:33:27 AM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:29:40 AM by Zakilevo »

Zane

  • Knight
  • **
  • Posts: 65
  • Ignore that sociopathic stuff. We're quite nice!
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #3: September 14, 2011, 04:59:58 AM »
Zuno sighed as he gazed at his hand.  Not particularly promising.  The cards on the table weren't bad, but the cards he held were no help.  He really didn't want to back out now.  He had too much on the table and there was only one player left - a sour-faced merchant who was quite a ways into his cups.  Besides, how else was he going to buy his way out of this pathetic little burg?  If only that idiot sea captain hadn't lost his ship ... well, what's done is done. 

A furtive glance around the common room revealed a small spider hanging from a lamp behind the merchant.  A quick [#231|Vermin Spy] gives him a glimpse of the man's cards - a castle and two knaves - not strong, but marginally stronger than Zuno's.  Mustering up all the brazenness left in him, Zuno smiles confidently.

"All in.  Put up or walk away, my friend," while sending a little [#4|Mental nudge]:"Fold"

Completing these actions would result in the following changes:
2.80 concentration expended
6.00 energy expended
2 XP in Perceive gained
6 XP in Mind gained
0 XP in Control gained

Brant

  • Knight
  • **
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #4: September 14, 2011, 06:07:36 AM »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:09:15 AM by Brant »

Nathan

  • Mighty Duke
  • ****
  • Posts: 713
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #5: September 14, 2011, 03:06:25 PM »
Kalan awoke on a beach, wreckage around him from the ship he came in on. That damn thing, if it had gone the right way around the island they'd have been in port before the worst waves came! But no, the captain was an imbecile! Looking around Kalan saw many dead bodies, the captain being one of them. "Good!" he thought, "maybe he'll get lost on his way to the afterlife too."

After standing up, Kalan noticed many large trees atop a nearby hill. Possible hiding spot for tonight, if he can get that blasted spell right this time. "Those damn finger movements are just too complex", Kalan said aloud. Nobody was there to hear him, but cursing the air made him feel better.

Upon reaching the trees, Kalan noticed a large, dry patch of dirt beneath one of the trees. "Just the size for a man to sleep under" Kalan thought, "now, to get this right." The young man moved his fingers, muttering a few words. Shadows started to pool together from the trees into the shape of a man. But then nothing, the man disappeared into the night again. "Damn it!" he shouted. Again he tried and failed to summon the night's protection to watch over him, again he cursed to high heavens - this was not his night. "I suppose I should follow the coast line to the port then" he thought, trying to figure out which direction to walk in.

Before Kalan could choose, however, there was a growl behind him. A beast with great fangs had jumped out of the shadows straight at him. Not having time to react, Kalan forced all the energy he could muster out of his body, hoping the heavens were smiling on him to keep him safe. They were. The beast passed straight through the young man as if he was a ghost. Not wasting an opportunity, Kalan picked up a nearby log and swung it at the beast, making it scamper off into the dark. "Well... I'll have to remember that one for next time." He thought, heading in the opposite to where the beast went, hoping to find a town.

---

can't cast "Protection of the Night"You can not complete some or all of these spells, because:

    * you can't cast Protection of the Night because your skill levels are too low (total of 7, but need at least 8 )

---

spontaneous magic (Protect/Death - 3/2/1) (with 1 shifts)Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

    * 0.75 concentration expended
    * 2.00 energy expended
    * 0 XP in Protect gained
    * 2 XP in Death gained

loren

  • Noble Lord
  • ***
  • Posts: 454
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #6: September 14, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
Dynamis winked into existence, drawn to the island by a large confluence of magickal potential. It had been a long time, a very very long time since he had done more than travel the world in his searches for the answer. Feel a bit rusty he opened a small tome he produced from his grey robe. Lets see, should we summon the Beast, he thought to himself. No, too strong a spell, better to start small. Something that he might have to use in the next few moments if the portents held.

Looking around and seeing and sensing no living soul he looked at the nearest tree. It would have to do he thought. Concentrating on the words of the text he uttered the careful constructed spell.

Mind Bullets flew out from his psyche striking the tree leaving several gashes in the trunk. Satisfied for the moment he forms mana into a mind shield. spontaneous magic (Protect/Mind - 2/2/1) (with 1 shifts)
Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    4.00 concentration expended
    3.33 energy expended
    2 XP in Harm gained
    3 XP in Mind gained
    2 XP in Protect gained

Edit: That's a direct copy of the text which was put out for posting on SMF.  There's also a graphical bug where the Mind Bullets stopped the background box and had the text skip a line with a return.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:26:42 PM by loren »

loren

  • Noble Lord
  • ***
  • Posts: 454
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #7: September 14, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »

loren

  • Noble Lord
  • ***
  • Posts: 454
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #8: September 14, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
"All in.  Put up or walk away, my friend," while sending a little [#4|Mental nudge]:"Fold"

The man looks a bit befuddled.  Clearly this man is not used to folding his cards especially after he'd been drinking heavily, "Say friend, that look you just gave me.  You know what it tells me, it tells me you're bluffing.  You should work on your tells. I call!"

Phellan

  • Noble Lord
  • ***
  • Posts: 364
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #9: September 14, 2011, 11:18:44 PM »
Debris covered the shore line, constantly pushing at the beach with each lap of the waves.     A dozen sailors were still fishing out intact crates and salvageable material from several small boats, while a few more were waist deep in the water gathering what else they could.

The modestly dressed man moved along the coast line, eyes scanning the beach.    He carried a small walking stick which he used to pick through the washed up materials.   These sailors are from the crew, so it must be here somewhere.  A wave lapped at his boot and he grimaced, a reminder of the salt stains that had soaked into most of his items.     

Several startled cries drew his attention long enough for him to look in time to see one of the boats upend as a cruelly timed wave hit the craft as it pulled aboard a large container.   Several of the men fell into the water.   He stared curiously at the matter for a moment and then resumed his search along the beach for his lost items.  Many of the passengers goods at been lost when the boat had been pushed upon the rocks.    He had only a few of his clothes, his dagger, and the gold and silver he had kept on his person.    More importantly several of his books had been in his belongings, the cryptic scrawls would mean little to most but those who would understand him.  He shivered slightly at the thought of who might run across them.

He returned his gaze to the beach where several sailors pulled one of their comrades out of the water.  It appeared he was gravely hurt, swallowed to much water perhaps.   They pushed on his chest and tried to get him to breathe though it appeared all for naught.     The younger man looked for a moment and sighed - then with his walking stick scrawled a runic  symbol into the sand and dropped to one knee where he touched it.   The symbol hummed slightly
(Breath of Air) and the man on the beach coughed heavily and water came out of his mouth.    A few cheers and cries of good fortune could be heard from the concerned sailors.

  The kneeling man wiped away the symbol in the sand and picked through some of debris nearby.  He stood, cursed his luck aloud, and then returned to his search, hoping that any who may have seen him would assume he had been digging in the sand for his items.    He grumbled slightly as he moved along the beach again - the bag with his books and belongings were no where to be found, though he had found a few other useful items - tinder and flint, a small pack filled with items he'd yet to look at - no doubt mostly useless but better than having nothing.

  Pulling his cloak about him as the breeze picked up and whipped him with a heavy mist of water he turned away and headed up the beach - the light was dropping quickly despite the early hour, something he was not accustomed too.   The Captain knew where his room was - perhaps some of his goods had found their way there.

  The walk was short - the inn was only a few meters above the seawall and seemed to creak and groan with every push of the wind.  Still, his room didn't leak - he hoped.   Stepping out of the wind he passed through the tavern, ordering a meal from the serving wench before he climbed the stairs to his room.   

   Once he settled in he looked around - securing the windows and covering them with heavy blinds and his own cloak for added privacy - nodded slightly that the room was safe from those seeking to see what others do, he quickly scrawled a rune in the air and touched it (Candle Light) where it flared red and disappeared.   The candle on his desk flared up and remained lit.   Nodding to himself he sat down, pulled his precious book from it's spot under his garments and opened it up, reading over the elaborate runes within while he waited for the arrival of his meal.
   

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    3.00 concentration expended
    3.00 energy expended
    3 XP in Create gained
    2 XP in Air gained
    1 XP in Fire gained
 

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:26:04 PM by Phellan »

Tom

  • Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
  • *
  • Posts: 8199
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #10: September 14, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
There's also a graphical bug where the  Mind Bullets stopped the background box and had the text skip a line with a return.

fixed now

Zane

  • Knight
  • **
  • Posts: 65
  • Ignore that sociopathic stuff. We're quite nice!
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #11: September 15, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »
"Please...Call me Garath."

Zuno looked up from the table as the voice floated from the corner table.  Something about that voice attracted his attention.  It certainly carried well.  Then Zuno spotted the barmaid.  Damn, he was hoping to use whatever winnings he could fleece from his table-mates here to entice her into some more entertaining activity later.

"... I call!"

Suddenly Zuno's attention in drawn back to the table.  "Huh?  What?"

"Pay attention, boy!" the merchant snaps, "I said 'I call,' now show me yer cards."

Zuno briefly ponders several rash courses of action before realizing he was already in too deep and should probably quit before it got any worse.  He throws down his cards in disgust.  "Fine.  You win."

Zakilevo

  • Guest
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #12: September 15, 2011, 01:06:06 AM »
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:04:04 AM by Zakilevo »

Meneldur

  • Noble Lord
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #13: September 15, 2011, 01:14:13 AM »

Brant

  • Knight
  • **
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
« Reply #14: September 15, 2011, 03:13:04 AM »
"It's the mold...  causes the sickness, the hives."

He seems to draw himself up and holds out his hand.  In the drizzle of rain he flakes off some black substance from his fingertips.  With a loud display of phlegm hurling, a horrible cough racks his body as he turns away from  Astalos. 

"Got me outta a few day of rowing... not sure it was worth it now."

Still wheezing through asthmatic sounding breaths, he takes a few steps back up the alley, pausing after several steps to look behind him.

"We should find an inn...  a real one."  His nose crinkles in disgust as he overlooks the scene of grime and violence.