Author Topic: SF range 6?  (Read 5002 times)

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
SF range 6?
« Topic Start: September 14, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »

The character Thorbjorn of Caergoth seems to have a unit with range 6. Is this even possible?

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: SF range 6?
« Reply #1: September 14, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
apparently so...
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 14, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
Unit (3) moved one rank closer, into Range 5, then got shot.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 14, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
No, he doesn't. Please read what the battle report actually says before jumping to absurd conclusions:

Harlequin (3) move closer to get better shots.

They had moved up a line before the Armored Archers fired on them.  That makes it 5 rows.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 14, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
No, he doesn't. Please read what the battle report actually says before jumping to absurd conclusions:

They had moved up a line before the Armored Archers fired on them.  That makes it 5 rows.

But there are SF's that have range five then, Interesting. And maximum for archers is still 4?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 14, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
But there are SF's that have range five then, Interesting.

Yes, I thought everyone knew that?

And maximum for archers is still 4?

And always has been.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 15, 2011, 01:04:29 AM »
Yes, I thought everyone knew that?

There are a lot of features that people don't know about because they haven't been playing for the full 10 years to see as things change. I personally knew about this one, but I know for sure that there are a ton of things that I don't know about SF capabilities. and other things of course.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 15, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
There are a lot of features that people don't know about because they haven't been playing for the full 10 years to see as things change. I personally knew about this one, but I know for sure that there are a ton of things that I don't know about SF capabilities. and other things of course.

The number of R5 SF is indeed very, very rare.

I would love to see an army of nothing but these, deploying in the rearguard, and peppering everyone to death before they can get anywhere near.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jeckyl

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 15, 2011, 02:57:47 AM »
Timothy, isn't the helpline supposed to be for people trying to understand something?

Helpline

Are you in need of help with the game, wonder how something works?

Moderator: Foundation

I knew SF had a range of 5, but have assumed that when archers fire, they fire on the unit where the unit was at the start of the turn. That everything was relatively simultaneous.

Sorry if my
absurd conclusions
got your panties in a bunch.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 15, 2011, 03:45:23 AM »
Get used to it.  The only surprising thing is that Indirik didn't start it.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 15, 2011, 05:04:52 AM »
It appears that certain members of the forum who shall remain nameless have forgotten that not everyone knows that they do.

Please do not let that dissuade you from asking questions.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 15, 2011, 05:18:00 AM »
Please do not let that dissuade you from asking questions.

Indeed. People should not be rude on a helpline forum. If you can't help it, abstain from commenting.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 15, 2011, 08:40:25 AM »
The number of R5 SF is indeed very, very rare.

I would love to see an army of nothing but these, deploying in the rearguard, and peppering everyone to death before they can get anywhere near.

but they suck at extreme range i think, and unless it's in the city, it takes ages to recruit them, draft or no draft.

unless i misunderstood tim (from a while back), longer range doesn't mean they cause more damage closer than someone with shorter range.

ie.. exact same stat shooting at exact same range (let's say 4), with exact same roll, a max range 4 cause same damage as a max range 5.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 15, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »
ie.. exact same stat shooting at exact same range (let's say 4), with exact same roll, a max range 4 cause same damage as a max range 5.
This is correct.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 15, 2011, 05:46:25 PM »
but they suck at extreme range i think, and unless it's in the city, it takes ages to recruit them, draft or no draft.

unless i misunderstood tim (from a while back), longer range doesn't mean they cause more damage closer than someone with shorter range.

But they get many more rounds of shooting at them from a distance before engaging in melee. And ranged SF aren't as pitiful in melee as archers are.