Author Topic: Partial Payment for Troops  (Read 10296 times)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Partial Payment for Troops
« Topic Start: September 16, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
Has it been discussed before to allow nobles to partially pay their units?  Would be useful for when your out on campaign and go to pay your unit and your a few gold short of paying them for the last 7 days if you could at least pay them for the last 6 days and stay in the field longer.  Would allow for longer campaigns in enemy territory or make it more feasible to have a campaign in an enemy territory on the other side of the continent, much like a crusade no?

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Partial Payment for Troops
« Reply #1: September 16, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Could be nice, though morale should drop from the payment as the soldiers will get suspicious that you won't have the funds to continue their payments afterwards.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 16, 2011, 03:11:46 PM »
Has it been discussed before to allow nobles to partially pay their units?

Requested, discussed, and rejected.

Would allow for longer campaigns in enemy territory or make it more feasible to have a campaign in an enemy territory on the other side of the continent, much like a crusade no?

This is not something that has historically been encouraged.  If you want to fight wars, it's much better to fight closer to home.  For one thing, you get a lot less of "march for a week and a half, fight a battle, march back for a week and a half."  (Or maybe not even fight a battle, but sit there for three days staring across a border at an enemy army you can't beat.)

Fighting close to home is a lot more fun, take it from me.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 16, 2011, 03:23:50 PM »
Requested, discussed, and rejected.

Why?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 16, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »
Why?

Read the rest of my post, and you'll see.  ;)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 16, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
... a few gold short of paying them for the last 7 days ...
Just as a suggestion: Set your men to be paid every three days. You'll pay them more frequently, but less each time. This reduces the chances you'll be 2 gold short when it comes time to pay them. And if you are, you have quite a few more days to make that mad dash home (or to sneak in a surreptitious looting) before they desert.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 16, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »
Is automatic payments working again?  You'll probably say that it has always worked but whenever I have it set for like three days and I have a few hundred in gold in my pocket I always get the message your men haven't been paid in 7 days and are getting angry and I'm like what the hell so then when I go to pay them manually I'm like oh look I have enough gold to pay them right now.  So I don't know what to do.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 16, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
Is automatic payments working again?  You'll probably say that it has always worked but whenever I have it set for like three days and I have a few hundred in gold in my pocket I always get the message your men haven't been paid in 7 days and are getting angry and I'm like what the hell so then when I go to pay them manually I'm like oh look I have enough gold to pay them right now.  So I don't know what to do.

It's been working for over a year.
Timothy Collett

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 16, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »
And there it is.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 16, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
Where what is? You asked if it was working; I told you it is.
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 16, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
And there it is.
For a long time there was a bug where it would not work for newly created characters until you had changed it. i.e. it would show as the default "7 days", but not work. This was fixed quite some time ago, but it probably only fixed things for characters created after the fix went live.

Try setting your autopay to a different setting. Or turning it off. Wait a day, then turn it back on. That used to fix things for characters who were affected by the bug.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 16, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
Fighting close to home is a lot more fun, take it from me.

But is not always possible, viable, and/or desirable.

BattleMaster isn't a game of mindless fighting. There are games like Risk! and War Islands for that.

Unrest due to lame war is important enough for leaders to take into consideration. If we intentionally sabotage long-distance wars in the game design, then we are just contributing to making those who participate in them have less fun than they otherwise would have.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 16, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
Long-distance wars are intentionally difficult. There are many things in the game that have changed over the years to intentionally limit them. And the restrictions have been tightened a few times that I can remember. Probably more that I can't.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #13: September 16, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
Long-distance wars are intentionally difficult. There are many things in the game that have changed over the years to intentionally limit them. And the restrictions have been tightened a few times that I can remember. Probably more that I can't.

So we agree that we are taking fun out of the game? Awesome.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 16, 2011, 08:16:53 PM »
So we agree that we are taking fun out of the game? Awesome.

We disagree on what's the most fun for the most people.
Timothy Collett