Author Topic: Aetheris Pyrism  (Read 35564 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Aetheris Pyrism
« Topic Start: September 17, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Newest religion founded in Shinnen Purlieus, Luria Nova, Dwilight. And expanding!

The idea behind Aetheris Pyrism is to enhance Dwilight's religious RP game. There were only five active religions before its foundation, and several realms do not really have any religion at all. Pyrism is supposed to be somewhat of a handicap-religion, in the sense that it should encourage superstitions for the characters, instead of pure logic, in order to make a RP-richer game, and have the religion being not just the in-game mechanics used for political goals (they will be, but that should not be their /only/ function).

Critics, suggestions or any kind of contributions are very welcome.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Aetheris Pyrism
« Reply #1: September 17, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
Yes! Perhaps the Duke of Fissoa will come down and join soon!

I wanted to make my own religion but things have worked out against it. The other option was to join the Manifest Path but man, that religion is just so boring. It's bordering on not even being a religion! I want exactly as you say: superstitions for the characters, instead of pure logic.

Feel free to loot my old religion page for any images you want to incorporate into your religion. Actually please take the images and incorporate them so I don't feel like I've wasted my time.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Omni_Amor_Veritas

Man. This is exciting. I've been waiting for something like this.  ;D ;D ;D
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 17, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
Outrageous and dangerous rituals? Not trying to only please the power-players, but also force some In Character immersion? I like your religion already.

But I won't add the images myself, I'll let you do that yourself if you join it.  ;) That way your character can take the credit for the artistic commissions and theological contributions.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 17, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
it should encourage superstitions for the characters, instead of pure logic, in order to make a RP-richer game

I told you should have joined SA. You are already adopting its practices!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 17, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
The other option was to join the Manifest Path but man, that religion is just so boring. It's bordering on not even being a religion! I want exactly as you say: superstitions for the characters, instead of pure logic.

The fact that Koli chose to use the existing deity-level entities in his religion rather than making up others does not mean that the Manifest Path is not a religion, and I get really tired of that.

Daimon Lords are more powerful than many deities in older cultures.  If you don't like the Path, fine.  Stop trying to say it's not a religion.

And anyone who thinks that the Manifest Path is actually based on logic has bought Koli's propaganda.  I can name a half dozen logical fallacies on every page of the tMP wiki that completely invalidate every facet of the religion.  The best analogue would be some of the math/religion cults.  Look up Pythagoras, for instance.  Supposedly, everything was based on math.  In actuality?  Total bull!@#$.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 17, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »
The fact that Koli chose to use the existing deity-level entities in his religion rather than making up others does not mean that the Manifest Path is not a religion, and I get really tired of that.

Daimon Lords are more powerful than many deities in older cultures.  If you don't like the Path, fine.  Stop trying to say it's not a religion.

I think he was more so stating his opinion there, Bedwyr.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 18, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »

And anyone who thinks that the Manifest Path is actually based on logic has bought Koli's propaganda.  I can name a half dozen logical fallacies on every page of the tMP wiki that completely invalidate every facet of the religion.  The best analogue would be some of the math/religion cults.  Look up Pythagoras, for instance.  Supposedly, everything was based on math.  In actuality?  Total bull!@#$.

I mean... I understand it's technically a religion but it's just too perfectly molded to be a political tool (which is the reason it appealed to the all the religion haters in Fissoa) in the sense that it doesn't make anyone have to change anything they are currently doing. It basically boils down to: make your realm bigger. It's kind of (I don't want to draw the parallel too close) like deism: a rejection of the connotations of god while maintaing that god exists.

Anyway, thats my personal beef. I like JPierre's wording of a "handicap" religion in that while the religion can hold you back politically it will add tremendously to the atmosphere.

I don't really want to make a big deal out of it: I trust that you're a genuine dude, Bedwyr  8)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 18, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »
Would be cool if Shin joined it :) Skyndarbau's pragmatism versus Shin's superstition. I like :)
And also, I have weakened my viewpoints somewhat. Another character of mine even is part of a real religion, now :P

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 19, 2011, 12:42:46 AM »
I mean... I understand it's technically a religion but it's just too perfectly molded to be a political tool (which is the reason it appealed to the all the religion haters in Fissoa) in the sense that it doesn't make anyone have to change anything they are currently doing. It basically boils down to: make your realm bigger. It's kind of (I don't want to draw the parallel too close) like deism: a rejection of the connotations of god while maintaing that god exists.

Anyway, thats my personal beef. I like JPierre's wording of a "handicap" religion in that while the religion can hold you back politically it will add tremendously to the atmosphere.

I don't really want to make a big deal out of it: I trust that you're a genuine dude, Bedwyr  8)

A religion that doubts the power of deities isn't a handicap on a continent DOMINATED by a power religion? Yes the path uses logic, fortunetly it is about as logical as the Christian logic and proofs of the middle ages. Think the tests to prove witchcraft and you are somewhat close to the logic of the path. Christian logic mostly tried to create frameworks around existing superstitious beliefs, tMP does the same thing.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 19, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »

PeL, LN, and Fissoa (if/when Skyndarbau actually joins) are going to have to declare war on Asylon and try to wipe out Cordatus Bestiarium sometime, and we'll have to start working against anyone selling food the the Zuma and eventually try to build up a coalition to fight them.  If that isn't a handicap, even leaving aside the fact that we're at least nominally against the Bloodstars, then I don't know what is.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 19, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
Cordatus Beasterium is not the official religion of Asylon. It is one of many.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 19, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »
Cordatus Beasterium is not the official religion of Asylon. It is one of many.

Do you harbour the foul worshipper of Diamons within your borders? Cause if so you are all guilty of undermining Humanities security whether you partake in the worship directly or not. See how it works? Kinda like the laws against harbouring a fugitive.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 19, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
It's all bluff and bluster for now.  I would be very interested in seeing an army march up to Asylon from the south east.  All those realms combined could theoretically send a few well supplied units making a good raiding force.   You would have to go for one critical strike.   It would be fun to watch. 
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 19, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »
It's all bluff and bluster for now.  I would be very interested in seeing an army march up to Asylon from the south east.  All those realms combined could theoretically send a few well supplied units making a good raiding force.   You would have to go for one critical strike.   It would be fun to watch.

Or we try and set up a colony near the heathen swine, which would be almost as much fun to watch.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 19, 2011, 07:39:12 AM »
PeL, LN, and Fissoa (if/when Skyndarbau actually joins) are going to have to declare war on Asylon and try to wipe out Cordatus Bestiarium sometime, and we'll have to start working against anyone selling food the the Zuma and eventually try to build up a coalition to fight them.  If that isn't a handicap, even leaving aside the fact that we're at least nominally against the Bloodstars, then I don't know what is.
A religion that doubts the power of deities isn't a handicap on a continent DOMINATED by a power religion? Yes the path uses logic, fortunetly it is about as logical as the Christian logic and proofs of the middle ages. Think the tests to prove witchcraft and you are somewhat close to the logic of the path. Christian logic mostly tried to create frameworks around existing superstitious beliefs, tMP does the same thing.

I'm speaking much more broadly here. I'm saying that the core philosophy of The Manifest Path doesn't really require it's potential followers to change much at all. I want a religion to be a handicap on the very way that you are allowed to discuss things.

Thats all I mean.
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm