Author Topic: The Balaria Thread  (Read 68489 times)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Balaria Thread
« Reply #45: April 14, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
I see, I see.

So how'd you do the whole, you know, 'writing' part? Particularly without giving up after a few halfhearted pages or in the labyrinthine stages of planning plots and characters and places? Which is my problem as a writer. How do you get past the crushing despair and introspective questioning of your lifes purpose part?
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 14, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
I see, I see.

So how'd you do the whole, you know, 'writing' part? Particularly without giving up after a few halfhearted pages or in the labyrinthine stages of planning plots and characters and places? Which is my problem as a writer. How do you get past the crushing despair and introspective questioning of your lifes purpose part?

I don't actually plan that much. I have the main points of the plot in my head, the central characters etc. Usually some opening scene I have in my head. That's about it. Then I start writing and things go from there. The details work themselves out as the characters find their way towards the end of the story. Smaller ideas pop-up as the story progresses so there always seems to be something the characters are headed towards. Not sure it's the best way or whether the lack of planning shows in the story(example, the whole side story at the end of Guardian Spirit that didn't involve Nala, I had not planned that at all. It just seemed like an interesting addition when it came to me, which was about the time I had written Nala departing for her own storyline.)

Also, the New Years promise I made really helped. Previously I'd just written when ever I felt like it, which made for some very bumpy progress. Could take two months for a new chapter to work itself out. So I promised myself I'd write a certain amount every single day. In my case I set the bar at 1000 words/day. Usually takes me 1-2 hours each day to do that. As a result, I've written over 100 000 words this year(and the story with Elwar is closing in on 20 000 words in length).

The biggest benefit of it is that you get a sense of progress and everything stays relatively fresh in your mind so it's fairly easy to jump back in every day(of course, there are bad days too). Once I'm done with the days writing my mind goes to work on what I'll write tomorrow. There are times where I know where the chapter ends so I just write that and then work out the middle part that was giving me problems. Just have to push through the tough parts even if the first thing you write isn't that good.

Also crucial is that I don't edit that much when I write. When I write, I just write. Then usually on Saturdays I edit the next chapter to be made available so it isn't all terrible. Fix typos, logic errors I spot etc. Doesn't mean there won't be any left, though  ;)

I've also got my little ritual of watching an episode of Foodwishes on Youtube before starting my writing. They just set the mood :)
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: April 22, 2012, 04:14:42 PM »
Well, the second chapter is out.

Link here: The Voyage of Elwar Soran - Part One

I feel like I've gotten ahead far enough that I can do a weekly release from now on so look forward to the third chapter next week :)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 29, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
Third chapter is out.

The Voyage of Elwar Soran - Part One

It jumps ahead in time a bit. It's also one of those chapters that drops a lot of hints about things to come and things that have happened that might get told in more detail in other stories.

Fury

« Reply #49: April 30, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »
Third chapter is quite interesting. Particularly love the 'sea creature' story. Nalla and gang getting mentioned is a nice and surprising touch. I wouldn't mind if they made a cameo appearance but hope they don't play any important role. This is a new story with new characters and would like to see how they succeed without 'legendary' help.  :D

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: April 30, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
Third chapter is quite interesting. Particularly love the 'sea creature' story. Nalla and gang getting mentioned is a nice and surprising touch. I wouldn't mind if they made a cameo appearance but hope they don't play any important role. This is a new story with new characters and would like to see how they succeed without 'legendary' help.  :D

Nah, don't worry. The story isn't about them so they won't play much of an part other than giving more back story to the world and maybe setting something up for a new story with them in it. You'd probably want to read what happened to that lumber town, right?

But this story is about Elwar, Yerny and Elir so those three will continue to be the main focus.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: May 06, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
Fourth chapter is out. Link is the usual.

Two more chapters and part one is done :)

Also, if you feel like following them, I've created Google+ and Facebook pages for Balaria.

Facebook
Google+
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:18:41 PM by LilWolf »

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: May 13, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
Fifth chapter is here. The maiden flight of the ship :)

Soon the real voyage will start  8)

Fury

« Reply #53: May 18, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
LilWolf, you sure know how to build up the suspension.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: May 20, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
LilWolf, you sure know how to build up the suspension.

Hope it's not too much :)

Anyway, chapter 6 of the story is here and with it part one of the tale is complete. I hope you’ve enjoyed it so far and look forward to the story arc of part two.

Link: The Voyage of Elwar Soran – Part One

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: May 27, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
And part two is here starting with chapter 7.

The Voyage of Elwar Soran - Part Two

Fury

« Reply #56: May 28, 2012, 05:40:16 AM »
It's very interesting how you marry laws of physics with magic and how the characters, never having been in space, are first encountering gravity (and the lack of it) from a new angle and are puzzled by it. I love how science still has things to teach these magic-wielding fantasy characters.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: May 28, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
It's very interesting how you marry laws of physics with magic and how the characters, never having been in space, are first encountering gravity (and the lack of it) from a new angle and are puzzled by it. I love how science still has things to teach these magic-wielding fantasy characters.

Then I have succeeded in what I set out to do, at least to some extent :)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: June 02, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
It's not Sunday, but probably wouldn't have had time for it tomorrow, so new chapter is here. A lot of important things come to light in this one. Things that shape the story significantly. Things that raise questions and hopefully make you interested in finding out the reasons for things being the way they are. Hopefully I managed to do them all right.

Link: The Voyage of Elwar Soran – Part Two

Fury

« Reply #59: June 06, 2012, 03:29:43 AM »
Fantasy meets Steampunk? :o  ???  ;D