Author Topic: Control/Death or Create/Mind?  (Read 9339 times)

Zane

• Knight
  • Ignore that sociopathic stuff. We're quite nice!
    • View Profile
Control/Death or Create/Mind?
« Topic Start: September 20, 2011, 04:18:06 AM »
I'm trying to wrap my head around where things might fall in the intent/base map.  What would be an example of a "Control/Death" or "Create/Mind" spell?

Control/Death - could this be used for a spell to animate the dead (Yay! Zombies!)?  Or perhaps prevent someone who would have died from dying?  Not healing, but simply preventing them from crossing from "mortally wounded" to "no longer living".

Create/Mind - it seems like this could be used to give life to inanimate objects - part of creating golems, for example (I assume there would be additional magic needed to allow them to move).  Or perhaps "uplifting" unintelligent flora or fauna to intelligence - giving one's pet cat the intelligence needed for sentience and speech?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Control/Death or Create/Mind?
« Reply #1: September 20, 2011, 04:25:32 AM »
Control/Death would be manipulating how people die, or any form of controlling undead.

Control/Mind would be, well, mind-control.  I think your examples would be closer to Create/Mind or Change/Mind, respectively.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 20, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »
I'm more curious about Move/Death.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 20, 2011, 06:40:55 AM »
Move a case of death to someone else?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: September 20, 2011, 09:09:01 AM »
Not all of the combinations really make sense, that's not a problem for me. I can't think of a Move/Mind myself (hm, astral travel maybe?) and yes, Move/Death probably won't do a thing - "moving a case of death" is definitely a Harm spell. :-)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 20, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
Not all of the combinations really make sense, that's not a problem for me. I can't think of a Move/Mind myself (hm, astral travel maybe?) and yes, Move/Death probably won't do a thing - "moving a case of death" is definitely a Harm spell. :-)

Only if they don't want it, I guess?  I think you could make a case for someone willing to sacrifice themselves to save the life of someone else being a Move/Death spell.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: September 20, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »
Only if they don't want it, I guess?  I think you could make a case for someone willing to sacrifice themselves to save the life of someone else being a Move/Death spell.

No, it's still Harm. There is nothing in Harm that requires an unwilling target, just like there's nothing in Heal that requires a willing one. :-)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 20, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
Move/Death could just be some trickery, maybe moving a dead body to somewhere else? It wouldn't be anything powerful but rather something to have fun with. I guess if you did it enough it would be a Death user's way of making a wall, but I can't see anything overly useful from it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 20, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
I can't think of a Move/Mind myself (hm, astral travel maybe?)

How about a body swap?

That seems like it could easily work within the system.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 20, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Or imprisoning a mind or soul in some other object.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: September 28, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »
create mind = illusions?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: September 28, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
create mind = illusions?

Depends. For making someone think he sees or hears something, yes.

I'm not sure if maybe we should have a new base for illusions, if we want to have powerful illusions that can also be touched, are independent of the viewer (a create/mind effect would only affect its targets), etc. Thoughts?

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: September 28, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »
Maybe we should have some kind of deceive? An illusion is a part of deceiving, no? Some of my spells are powerful illusions. Powerful enough to make a person believe he lost his arm when he gets hit by one. His body reacts to the spell and kills cells making the arm fall off.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: September 28, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »
Maybe we should have some kind of deceive? An illusion is a part of deceiving, no? Some of my spells are powerful illusions. Powerful enough to make a person believe he lost his arm when he gets hit by one. His body reacts to the spell and kills cells making the arm fall off.

Hm, you mean instead of a Base "Illusion", we could have an Intent "Deceive"?

I'm not sure. Making it a base would mean we can have create, control, etc. on illusions, as well as harm (destroy) to dispel them.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 28, 2011, 01:28:48 PM »

Dunno... that kind of sounds like Perceive Death or Harm Mind. In theory it could also apply to Control Mind.