Author Topic: Sanguis Astroism  (Read 23119 times)

Hossenfeffer

• Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sanguis Astroism - The Bloodstar Phases
Re: Sanguis Astroism
« Reply #15: March 09, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »
I don't consider SA as a religion is taken seriously.
I'm pretty sure it has been taken seriously by some people.

Take a look at this commentary on the Second Prophecy by the character Bengt Algotsson. 

I don't know the player (actually I don't even know if he's still playing), and I didn't prompt him, or give him OOC clues or anything like that.  He just took the time to read through a lot of the sermons and writings I'd posted to the wiki and he came up with a pretty fine interpretation.  Surely he wouldn't have taken the time and trouble to do that if he hadn't taken the religion at least a little bit seriously?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 09, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure it has been taken seriously by some people.

Take a look at this commentary on the Second Prophecy by the character Bengt Algotsson. 

I don't know the player (actually I don't even know if he's still playing), and I didn't prompt him, or give him OOC clues or anything like that.  He just took the time to read through a lot of the sermons and writings I'd posted to the wiki and he came up with a pretty fine interpretation.  Surely he wouldn't have taken the time and trouble to do that if he hadn't taken the religion at least a little bit seriously?

I generalize too much. I didn't mean "not a single person does", I meant generally speaking.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #17: March 09, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
Interpretations on the prophet's words have been many. What isn't on the wiki, were in-game. But since I became a heretic in 2009 or something, I haven't been too up-to-date with what is going on there. I put in my wiki stuff because I felt like doing it. It sounded fun. Ironically it was also the fuel Anabellium used to get me out. Apparently people were annoyed at me or something.  ;D

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 10, 2011, 12:01:24 AM »
Since this relates more to the religion thread than SA itself, tell me... If they can discuss about creation mythos and the afterlife, *do they*?
There was, actually, a RP centered around afterlife mythos just a few days ago.  So yes, if infrequently.

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 10, 2011, 01:11:13 AM »
I generalize too much. I didn't mean "not a single person does", I meant generally speaking.

I think the perception outside SA is such that it is viewed as a political rather than a religious entity however this is certainly not true within SA itself.

In fact only a few months ago there was a very heated debate regarding the role of the Prophet, the authority of scripture and the true meaning of "harmony", "balance" and "enlightenment". Plus the priests are currently formulating a creed that should be ready soon. Of course this is very much intertwined with politics (just as in RL medieval times different religious views are associated with different political factions) and I'm not going to pretend its anywhere as near as complex as a RL religion.

However overall SA has been the most "religious" religion I've seen on Battlemaster; certainly its true that many people do take it seriously as a religion.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 10, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »
I think the perception outside SA is such that it is viewed as a political rather than a religious entity however this is certainly not true within SA itself.

You've touched on one of the biggest problems across this game and indeed across society. What an entity appears to be from the outside and what that entity is to those that take part can be too very different things. Part of the advantage of having these OOC areas is that the players may get more information then their characters are privy to and hopefully resolve some of the player misunderstandings that can exist. Course our poor characters are still left with their misunderstandings, but hey a character without issues is kind of boring.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 12, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
and the true meaning of "harmony", "balance" and "enlightenment".

Don't forget the argument about whether the stars stand in a line or in a triangle. Who needs an afterlife debate?

The important thing is there is debate. It doesn't have to be about afterlife and creation myths. You can be original about religions.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #22: March 13, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
Or maybe one can wonder whether they are stars at all. Maybe they are buning planets... ::)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 13, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
Maybe they are just giant rubies? 8)
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 14, 2011, 02:09:19 AM »
A trio of geosynchronous satellites.

(Pern, anyone? :P)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: March 14, 2011, 05:38:32 AM »
Personally Glaumring is very interested  in the scientific nature of the Bloodstars, but in a medieval way. He looks at the stars and has no concept of the vast 3 dimensional space if they are vast at all or even 3 dimensional, for all he knows they could be 3 campfires or lanterns, having no real concept of what a star is, he believes that they are a only a few miles away and it would be possible to construct a balloon or stairway to reach the stars. He also has no concept of their size. For Glaumring the sky is merely a fabric with stones rested upon its surface.

I think many people look at the religious/scientific aspect from their own perspective and they argue and fight against it because they themselves in reality see the  truth. Yet very few take into account how a true medieval person would view this religious idea. I know people pounce on the 'heretic' or 'Inquisition' side of SA with vigour, but very few people actually bring much more to the table beyond their desire to use SA as a platform to control people or nations. Come to think of it since being in SA and the prophet sleeping most of  the time, people spend more time arguing and charging people with heresy than they do actually bringing new teachings or ideas to the church. I myself being a victim of that mentality to to a degree.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 14, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
Then its pretty accurate. Look at most large religions in real life. Once they obtained the size and power to exert influence, the prevalence of new ideas quickly gave way to ensuring the status quo and shoring up the secular power of the faith. There is no inherent reason a religion in the game should be receptive to new ideas.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #27: March 14, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
No, but this is still a game, and games were meant so that we could explore fantasies and alternate paths that do not exist in the real world.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 14, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
No, but this is still a game, and games were meant so that we could explore fantasies and alternate paths that do not exist in the real world.

Common faithful should not question the clergy. Especially not in a SMA continent. Religions which encourage this should be warned.

Religions should be among the most controlled mechanics in the game, imo. There's something seriously wrong that we can for example create a religion to "worship" a god of Trade, without any code of morals/conduct/practise, but that we can't use the "duel" mechanic to simulate a joust.

Religions should reflect realistic religions, and not be abused and used as something more akin to modern frat houses. People are free to create guilds for such groups.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 14, 2011, 09:14:37 PM »
Come to think of it since being in SA and the prophet sleeping most of  the time, people spend more time arguing and charging people with heresy than they do actually bringing new teachings or ideas to the church. I myself being a victim of that mentality to to a degree.

Although as others have said this is very much to do with the nature of religion itself.

Most religions, both past and present, require their teachings to come from the divine and for Constantine and many others in SA the only way we can verifiably say that a teaching has come from the Stars is if it comes through or is approved by the Holy Prophet himself.

It may not be nice for those with new ideas that we keep pouncing on new things and calling them heresy but it makes sense from an SMA POV.