Author Topic: Power Boost coming up  (Read 9185 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Power Boost coming up
« Topic Start: September 20, 2011, 10:44:22 AM »
I'll be adding something like 1000 XP to every character. Yes, you read that right.

You see, we need to test all the power levels of the game, and right now we're pretty low. And it's given me better ideas on how to start characters. For example, if you create a new character today, he will get 100 XP to start with and there's a button to get an initial selection of spells, guaranteed to be from bases and intents that you know (i.e. learnt with your initial 100 XP).

But I need to know if all values scale up. So there will be a power boost, and probably a 2nd and 3rd one. Have fun. :-)

Zakilevo

Re: Power Boost coming up
« Reply #1: September 20, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
Woooo~~~~~ I wonder 1k EXP will be enough for me to try out lv50 spells.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: September 20, 2011, 12:04:28 PM »
Probably not, but let me know how far it got you. :-)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: September 20, 2011, 12:06:06 PM »
Boost done. Have fun.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 20, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
Dumping all my points into Perceive and Mind, I hit 12 Mind and 9 Perceive. I think this would let me cast up to power level 21.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: September 20, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Dumping all my points into Perceive and Mind, I hit 12 Mind and 9 Perceive. I think this would let me cast up to power level 21.

That's pretty good. And 1000 XP is just 40 days of waiting, if you actively play and get XP through using spells, it's much less.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: September 20, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »
I got up to 10 harm and 10 mind. Well I spent some points in fire. That is probably why I did get up to 11 mind or 11 harm.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 20, 2011, 09:12:07 PM »

Wait...What?  I thought each of your Intent and Base had to be equal to or higher than the power level of the spell.  That's what it is for Spontaneous Magic, though admittedly I can't find any reference for spells.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 20, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/skills

Paragraph 2: (Emphasis is mine.)
There is a hard limit determined by the skill level in that no magician can create an effect with a power level beyond the sum of his levels in the skills required.
There is an implicit limitation as well, in that you must have at least one skill level in both the Base and the Intent. I suggested this be clarified on the web site, but Tom did not comment on it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 20, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
Rather than dumping points into one thing I did what most people might do and got skills up to 4,8,4,4,4,5,5,2,4,5

Able to cast a few powerful harm spells that'll take out a group like the Ball Lightning or Fireball spells.  Could probably do more than a few in a day.  Also able to do some nice jack of all trades things like Walk Through Walls.  Or varied base, and protect spells.  In other words a little of an overpowered wizard from the original SM.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: September 20, 2011, 10:57:47 PM »
cool.

So remember, people, you are now at what you'd have after 4-6 weeks of playing. Play around with it a little, check out the parser feedback without committing maybe, and give feedback on what you think. Is this too easy, too fast?

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: September 20, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »
Well at least now we can fight back against templars to a certain degree. I don't have to just blind them and run anymore :)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 21, 2011, 12:52:12 AM »
Rather than dumping points into one thing I did what most people might do and got skills up to 4,8,4,4,4,5,5,2,4,5

Able to cast a few powerful harm spells that'll take out a group like the Ball Lightning or Fireball spells.  Could probably do more than a few in a day.  Also able to do some nice jack of all trades things like Walk Through Walls.  Or varied base, and protect spells.  In other words a little of an overpowered wizard from the original SM.

I did something similar, but can't help but feel that it is actually the weaker choice compared to specializing once everything is level 2. While I am certainly able to cast things like Fireball, the things I could cast if I had specialized are *much* more powerful and versatile. The largest issue I see right now is something that was mentioned in one of the earliest threads: those who spend a significant amount of time going through all the paperwork to research spells in the beginning have a *significant* advantage of both enlarged library and a monopoly effect.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: September 21, 2011, 01:30:14 AM »
those who spend a significant amount of time going through all the paperwork to research spells in the beginning have a *significant* advantage of both enlarged library and a monopoly effect.

That will change in the "real" game, as everyone will start with a small starter library.

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: September 21, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
Can we change our names too? or we have to make a new account if we want to change our names?