Author Topic: Noble clothing  (Read 19863 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Noble clothing
« Reply #30: March 20, 2011, 03:48:13 AM »
Markus - Caligus. Typically wears a white or red silk shirt and black breeches, black riding boots with a short dagger and medium length blade. dark cloak at night, white with red trim during the day. Only ornamentation is the silver rose pin used to clasp his cloak, always there on the field or no. On the field, he wears a breastplate, helm, and the same weapons, long campaigns he brings a small shield (think buckler).

Woelfen - Perdan. Wears a grey tunic with a blue tabard (order of the blue flame) over it, black breeches, heavily worked boots and a grey floppy hat with a white plume when in home lands, supple leather armour of grey and green when in the field. Stilleto dagger and a bow are his weapons.

Berwin - Arcaea. Wears an orange shirt with blue breeches, a white scarf, dark riding boots, and a heavily plumed tricorne hat. In the field, full plate mail that is decorated and showy along with a lance is the only way for him to fight. A small blade is attached to his saddle for when it is needed.

A reasonably plausible set out accoutrements, from a historical perspective... except the silk (unless Caligus, or an allied trading partner, has an RPed silk industry). A bit colorful, but not unbelievable. Plumes weren't really widely in still until later, but that's not a big deal. I'm unsure what you mean by "plate mail." The only plate mail I know of comes from the Middle East, and doesn't really mesh with the lance and tricorn. Unless you mean plate armor. In which case, that works... though, being a historical correctness nazi myself, it's a bit iffy to me, given that it isn't prominent until the 1300's or 1400's.

Personally, whenever I make a claim about my characters appearance, I take four things into consideration: family wealth, personal status (knight, Lord, etc.), purpose of current journey, and realm culture. All of these should (I think) play some part in determining appearance . What do you guys think?

Those seem like good guidelines. I would add a fifth and a sixth: "The Laws of Physics" and also "Historical Plausibility." You don't have mithril. You just don't. It violates both of those laws.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner