Author Topic: Noble clothing  (Read 19782 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Noble clothing
« Reply #30: March 22, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »
In terms of medieval armour I like to use just basic chain armour or leather for soldiers (depending on how well armed they are) and up it to the kinds of armour used in medieval poems of the 1200's and earlier like Raoul de Cambrai and Song of Roland. Things like double/triple coats of chain. This in itself was often more than enough to protect against most medieval weapons along with your shield and helmet (never forget to wear a helmet people!).

One of the most realistic descriptions of a battle I've read in fantasy was from the Deverry series, based on the british isles. The nobles typically lived in small forts called "duns" and the lesser nobles might only have around 6 men in their personal guards, so that a single mercenary could tip the balance in a particularly long feud. During on of the larger battles they were practically using their swords with the effectiveness of clubs against the mailed parts of the body. Rivetted mail could better protect against thrusts and for the most part you were bruising the person inside his armour rather than hacking bits of him off, unless you went for the legs.

A man after my own heart!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner