Author Topic: Elrism  (Read 13300 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Elrism
« Reply #30: September 23, 2011, 12:31:55 AM »
This my monotheistic religion:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Church_of_Echad

It is indeed hard to keep yourself away from repeating the characteristics of other monotheistic religions you know of.

The Church of Echad has strong Jewish influences and I use Yiddish for most of the words/names, etc. However, Echad lacks certain typical monotheistic qualities for instance he isn't necessarily all-powerful, he doesn't often directly communicate with people (not entirely a "personal" God), and some other things.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #31: September 23, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
Currently my character Sayuki on FEI believes that he has been given the task of holding back the gods of Death and Pestilence (Death being the god of Murder and Famine, Pestilence being the god of Poison and Disease) via the Death Guard, a group of varying size whom all use blades bathed in the blood of those who have died from disease. He thinks that killing with these blades offers up the souls of those killed in order to placate Death and Pestilence, preventing civilization from falling.

Not monotheistic, but it is an example of something different. Maybe...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 23, 2011, 05:50:20 AM »
Currently my character Sayuki on FEI believes that he has been given the task of holding back the gods of Death and Pestilence (Death being the god of Murder and Famine, Pestilence being the god of Poison and Disease) via the Death Guard, a group of varying size whom all use blades bathed in the blood of those who have died from disease. He thinks that killing with these blades offers up the souls of those killed in order to placate Death and Pestilence, preventing civilization from falling.

Not monotheistic, but it is an example of something different. Maybe...

Sounds a bit like Nurgle from the warhammer settings, though without the mutations granted to the faithful.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #33: September 23, 2011, 05:54:35 AM »
*whistles innocently, obviously hoping no one had noticed the Death Guard reference*

I couldn't think of a better name for the unit I led, honestly. The name explains what they do, and sets up the character of the unit.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 23, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »
*whistles innocently, obviously hoping no one had noticed the Death Guard reference*

I couldn't think of a better name for the unit I led, honestly. The name explains what they do, and sets up the character of the unit.

Most the ones I came up with were already stolen by the Skaven as well :) When you are talking about the worlds most popular table top strategy world, its pretty likely that some nerd on a Internet forum will notice :)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #35: September 23, 2011, 06:13:49 AM »
He doesn't worship the two god's, he is just trying to appease them, keeping them at bay. What others would see as atrocious acts of cruelty (often just wounding an enemy and letting him die of disease) he sees as the only to protect civilization. Just to let everyone know.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 23, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »
He doesn't worship the two god's, he is just trying to appease them, keeping them at bay. What others would see as atrocious acts of cruelty (often just wounding an enemy and letting him die of disease) he sees as the only to protect civilization. Just to let everyone know.

The traitor legions never set out to worship the Chaos Gods either, and we all know how that worked out.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 23, 2011, 07:52:25 AM »
This religion does indeed look a lot like Christianity, too much for my own tastes as well.

I've seen many monotheistic religions that did things differently. Torenism was indeed, one there's also The Church of Teros, which while it burrowed many fundamental concepts, applied a different set of values, priorities, and vocabulary. That is, of course, before it got swallowed up by the Blood Cult and was rather streamlined to its autocratic warmongering.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #38: September 23, 2011, 03:18:33 PM »
The traitor legions never set out to worship the Chaos Gods either, and we all know how that worked out.

The traitor legions didn't know about the Chaos Gods before they turned traitor...

cjnodell

« Reply #39: September 23, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »
I have just gone through and updated the religion in an attempt to de-christify it a bit. I would love to hear what some of you think!

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/UserWiki:Cjnodell

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #40: September 23, 2011, 09:03:05 PM »
On the layout: Link something once.  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 23, 2011, 11:50:04 PM »
Liked the changes, it looks much more unique now.  :)
EDIT: "More unique"? Does that even exist?  :P
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).