Author Topic: Strategic Secessions  (Read 19200 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Secessions
« Reply #60: October 16, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
Besides, sometimes sharing a little power gives one more power. If I help a friend become a ruler himself to expand into lands I wouldn't have been able to control, I'm basically starting myself an empire.

And by friend, I mean IC friend/ally.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Secessions
« Reply #61: October 17, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
Uhh... No. "In-game logic" is not intentionally simplified. The depth and variety of characterizations is what makes the game more interesting. If everyone acted the same, and held the same IC beliefs and motivations, then how boring would that be?

can you please make distinction between my simplifications of logic for sake of discussion from "real" characters life? you are permanently putting in my mouth words that i never said.

who said that everyone should act the same? i just presented example of simple logic, which is related with some basic game assumptions that are the same for anyone, and are learned during student's apprenticeship. there are the same things, like oath, bindings, loyalties, titles, etiquette, realm hierarchy, and if you are intentionally disregarding it in-game, than you should make some effort to justify it if they go against very basic game-world assumptions, otherwise we have no any other logic over button-pressing, and we have no any flavor of game background, which is blatantly visible at many places.

Anything they want to be.

completely wrong. over limitations that game mechanics and game rules imposed on us, there are also some limitation which we willingly put on our characters to create stories, any limitations, not limitations i am dictating.

if you do not care about it, your characters are becoming shapeless and not recognizable, and it would be hard to establish any contact with them over buddyland described elsewhere.

of course, we have no time and energy to put into our characters as much as professional actors do, but making very simple and, if you want, shallow characterizations will make all difference over being whatever you want and disregarding background completely.

trying to present it as my personal dictate i feel as a way to justify what cannot be justified in-game.

to go back to original posts, rejecting divertions which lead discussion to stray paths - i see no way how it could be in-game justified that ruler says to his subordinates, "hey, let us split realm into two or three pieces to better control the regions"

that is nothing but meta-gaming in my opinion, and if you want to defend it, please present any in game logic  (not my dictated logic) which could stand behind it, instead of making attack on me directly. :-\
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:16:55 PM by Stue (DC) »