Author Topic: +1 character  (Read 16987 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
+1 character
« Topic Start: September 25, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
It seems like the biggest problem with BM ATM is a simple lack of players, and that characters are spread too thinly. While I understand that the new estate system will go a long way towards fixing this issue, it seems to me like most people think that a lack of players will still be a major issue for the game.
Couldn't we just give everyone one more character, in order to fix it? The vast majority of players already use the maximum amount of characters available to them, and I assume the most of them would also jump on the chance to have another character. While this wouldn't address the direct issue (the constant loss of players), it would go a long way towards mitigating the effects of the decline in population. As Tom has hinted at, he's considering getting rid of Dwilight, but simply adding an extra noble per player would essentially do the same thing, without the whole destroying an entire island's history thing.
Thoughts?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: +1 character
« Reply #1: September 25, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
where has it been implied that Dwi would be deleted? It is the most successful continent in gaining and maintaining new players, as has been evidenced by stats in a different thread.

also, multiple nobles from the same family playing together isn't necessarily a good solution. though it's widely prevalent throughout battlemaster, I think it's something that in many ways takes away from RP and the funness of the game.

when it's done right, with seperate RPs for both family members, its acceptable. but more often than not you have one family member who is active in discussions and the realm and one silent zombie who walks around with a unit blindly following orders and managing an estate.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 26, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
where has it been implied that Dwi would be deleted?

Oh yes. From what I've seen from the distance, it has sucked the spirit out of every other island in the game, and it's the main reason everything is spread thin.

Find me 500 new players and I'll eat my words, but right now, I do think that Dwilight was a mistake.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 26, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »
Thinking something was a mistake is VERY different to saying I'm thinking of removing it.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 26, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
Thinking something was a mistake is VERY different to saying I'm thinking of removing it.

If it is that bad, I'll shut down an island or two. BM is a multiplayer game and we may have made a mistake spreading a dwindling player base across too many game worlds. Maybe Dwilight was a mistake. I'm not above admitting and fixing mistakes.

Can we start talking about the idea now?

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: September 26, 2011, 12:29:52 AM »
I am against this. I would like to have one more character but this is just stupid.

What are you going to do when we lose even more people? We get more characters?

If you want more people, why don't you make things more interesting for newcomers in the first place?

So they stick with the game instead of leaving after joining the game for 5 mins.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 26, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »
I don't really see an extra character per player fixing things. Maybe make it easier to get to the maximum of 4 active noble characters, but other than that things probably are fine as is.

I know I wouldn't even have the time or interest to play 5 characters in any meaningful way. Four is already stretching it.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 26, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »
What about a +1 Character goody for a player who joins the game (and stays) that you invited?

I know a lot of games do this kind of thing where you send official game invites to people and if they join you get some kind of reward.

I know, it reeks of potential abuse, but perhaps some kind of time limit could be in place for how long the new player is active before the invitee gets their reward?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 26, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
also, multiple nobles from the same family playing together isn't necessarily a good solution. though it's widely prevalent throughout battlemaster, I think it's something that in many ways takes away from RP and the funness of the game.

when it's done right, with seperate RPs for both family members, its acceptable. but more often than not you have one family member who is active in discussions and the realm and one silent zombie who walks around with a unit blindly following orders and managing an estate.

He didn't say to make it possible to have 3 chars per continent. Characters would play together any more than they do now.

Furthermore, it's generally accepted that BM needs drone nobles for realms to work. Without them, most realms would collapse, or be too small to do anything.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 26, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »
Furthermore, it's generally accepted that BM needs drone nobles for realms to work. Without them, most realms would collapse, or be too small to do anything.

Not really. You can be a completely active, contributing vocal member of a realm and still march and follow orders with the army, can you not?

Being "not a drone" doesn't necessarily equal being a rich Duke who sits on his gold and plots and wheels and deals.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 26, 2011, 12:48:51 AM »
Can we start talking about the idea now?
Why, the idea gets suggested every few months, and every few months the idea gets rejected. You can already have 5 or more characters.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 26, 2011, 01:12:29 AM »
Adding another slot doesn't sound like a solution. Deleting a continent would be even worse.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 26, 2011, 01:17:38 AM »
Adding another Character, however much I would love it in the short term in being able to experience another realm/faction, would most certainly KILL Dwilight. One Advy and One Noble is perfect. Two or more nobles? Kills the atmosphere completely and we can say good bye to SMA and RP.
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 26, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »
Adding another Character, however much I would love it in the short term in being able to experience another realm/faction, would most certainly KILL Dwilight. One Advy and One Noble is perfect. Two or more nobles? Kills the atmosphere completely and we can say good bye to SMA and RP.
The suggestion is that each player get an additional noble, not that any existing restrictions on nobles on an island be lifted.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 26, 2011, 01:48:48 AM »
The suggestion is that each player get an additional noble, not that any existing restrictions on nobles on an island be lifted.

Ahhh, my apologies.

Well then... in that case it might indeed help on other Continents. I myself have yet to make another Noble but well... if I found something interesting enough or learned more about an awesome RP realm I might be inclined to make one to check it out!

Maybe we could add identifiers such as Light RP, Medium RP and Heavy RP to the Realm descriptions? Would help me make a decision certainly, might help others ;)
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries