Author Topic: Tortured nobles to get the report  (Read 4498 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Tortured nobles to get the report
« Topic Start: September 26, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
Tortured nobles should get a copy of the torture report, so that they may know what their enemies have learnt. After all, you'd know what information you leaked under the pain.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tortured nobles to get the report
« Reply #1: September 26, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »
It would have to be changed the message telling you that you luckily don't remember anything, then.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 26, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
Not necessarily... They could have drugged you. You could have been in so much pain you were barely conscious.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 26, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »
Pretty sure that the whole point of "I'm in so much pain I'll say anythingpleasemakeitstop" is to break your mind down to the point where you spill.  Really don't think you're going to remember all that.

I do think it's a little odd that torture reports are perfectly reliable.  Most torture produces a lot of false positives ("Yes they're all witches, please god, yesyesyes I saw them !@#$ing cats and camelsmakeitstop") in addition to any useful information.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 26, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
It would have to be changed the message telling you that you luckily don't remember anything, then.

I admit to not knowing much about torture, but it seems to me that if you are conscious enough to be able to respond, you will also be enough to remember what you replied. People can collapse from the pain, but a total blackout? That would imply that you resisted the torture a very long time, and that you then revealed information when you were in a state that I doubt actually allowed you to share anything in.

But as I said, I haven't read up on how torture affects people...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

walkerp1

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 26, 2011, 11:08:32 PM »
I do think it's a little odd that torture reports are perfectly reliable.

Perfectly is a bit too far, but a properly informed interrogator knows how to check and triple check his information from several different angles.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 27, 2011, 12:05:58 AM »
It comes to my mind a passage of a book written based on interviews of a drug dealer of Rio de Janeiro and the community of its favela, in which they explain a technique they used when they (the drug dealers) were tortured by the police. It went something like this "For the first hour or so you say nothing, because they won't believe you anyway. After you start to break, you start spilling names of already dead colleagues of yours, and facts that are true but already happened. That should buy some time while they check the facts and see they are true, until they figure they are irrelevant".

This is the book, but it is in Portuguese. Dunno about an English version, but it is rather short and very interesting, so if you find it, I recommend it.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 27, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
I admit to not knowing much about torture, but it seems to me that if you are conscious enough to be able to respond, you will also be enough to remember what you replied. People can collapse from the pain, but a total blackout? That would imply that you resisted the torture a very long time, and that you then revealed information when you were in a state that I doubt actually allowed you to share anything in.

But as I said, I haven't read up on how torture affects people...

Okay, as with many military service men I was trained to withstand interrogation, which generally involves some exposure to torture. While of course I wasn't sliced and diced, we did go through things like sleep deprivation etc, which are actually quite effective so long as the interrogator has sufficient tools to check information.

In my experience, you really only remember the whole experience in a pretty vague sense, certainly no one I know was able to recall what they had said in any real detail. That in itself is part of the problem with many forms of torture (you know aside from being morally suspect) the information gathered can be VERY dubious due to the victims state of mind.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

egamma

« Reply #8: September 27, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »
Well, aren't nobles carrying letters around with them? why doesn't the judge just take the letters?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 28, 2011, 12:58:31 AM »
Well, aren't nobles carrying letters around with them? why doesn't the judge just take the letters?
I think that it's generally assumed that the scribe handles reading / receiving / holding letters and all the other logistical crap.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 30, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »
if you don't want it to be perfectly reliable, then you'll have to find some way to corrupt messages. i'm sure tom can figure out something from die2nite's drunk/drugged mode.. XD
firefox

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #11: October 02, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
Okay, as with many military service men I was trained to withstand interrogation, which generally involves some exposure to torture. While of course I wasn't sliced and diced, we did go through things like sleep deprivation etc, which are actually quite effective so long as the interrogator has sufficient tools to check information.

In my experience, you really only remember the whole experience in a pretty vague sense, certainly no one I know was able to recall what they had said in any real detail. That in itself is part of the problem with many forms of torture (you know aside from being morally suspect) the information gathered can be VERY dubious due to the victims state of mind.

Precisely.

If you want to try it without the pain, get very, very drunk and then recite everything you said the next day.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: October 02, 2011, 03:22:55 PM »
Tortured nobles should get a copy of the torture report, so that they may know what their enemies have learnt. After all, you'd know what information you leaked under the pain.

The discussion already summed everything up nicely. So for the record: No, rejected. It's intentional that you don't get a copy of the report.