Author Topic: Priest - honor and prestige gaining  (Read 11653 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Priest - honor and prestige gaining
« Topic Start: September 29, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »
I switched one of my chars to priest a while ago and he has not recieved  single point of honour or prestige since then. Is it meant to be so?

Even courtiers get it from their work, why not priests?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Priest - honor and prestige gaining
« Reply #1: September 29, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
This was a design decision by Tom when the priests were added. Off-hand, I am not sure of the exact reason. Maybe he can give his reasons when he gets a chance.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 29, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
I switched one of my chars to priest a while ago and he has not recieved  single point of honour or prestige since then. Is it meant to be so?

If you do a priest/ambassador, then you can gain some. Courts can also gain you some if you are a lord.

But indeed, not much. Less than I'd like. Might have something to do with the fact that honor dictates how many men you can field: those who fought a lot should be able to lead more than those who never did. Courtiers gain less, but they also can carry units. Priests can't, so they (maybe) shouldn't be able to increase their unit cap size?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #3: September 29, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »

I would expect priests to be very prestigious--prestige is how the peasants view you, right? So preaching should get you lots of prestige.

On the other hand, honor is how nobles view, you, right? So those outside your faith probably don't care much.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 29, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
If you do a priest/ambassador, then you can gain some. Courts can also gain you some if you are a lord.

But indeed, not much. Less than I'd like. Might have something to do with the fact that honor dictates how many men you can field: those who fought a lot should be able to lead more than those who never did. Courtiers gain less, but they also can carry units. Priests can't, so they (maybe) shouldn't be able to increase their unit cap size?

But honour and prestige is not only for unit cap-size. It gives you options such as what trades to change to later, and you cannot become an infiltrator later without it, as an example.

Not to mention that you lose honour and prestige by certain actions (such as stepping down too fast from positions). I believe my priest can be elected to the council right now, but if he loses 2 points of prestige somehow, he loses that possibility.

Should not a priest be quite prestigous and honourable? A man of education and scripture who does the lords work ;)

egamma

« Reply #5: September 29, 2011, 11:20:27 PM »
But honour and prestige is not only for unit cap-size. It gives you options such as what trades to change to later, and you cannot become an infiltrator later without it, as an example.

Not to mention that you lose honour and prestige by certain actions (such as stepping down too fast from positions). I believe my priest can be elected to the council right now, but if he loses 2 points of prestige somehow, he loses that possibility.

Should not a priest be quite prestigous and honourable? A man of education and scripture who does the lords work ;)

You mean a pagan rabble-rouser who spends his time consorting with peasants, stirring up trouble and swaying the weak-minded to rise up against those who rightfully rule over them?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #6: September 29, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
Or those who spread the True Faith, bolstering the commoners to their pious lords and casting down the heathen, heretical daimon-worshiping false lords ?

Such is in the eye of the beholder.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 29, 2011, 11:39:55 PM »
You mean a pagan rabble-rouser who spends his time consorting with peasants, stirring up trouble and swaying the weak-minded to rise up against those who rightfully rule over them?

But it is the right hand men of whatever god they represent. They are the highest representatives of the lords, dukes and the kings faiths aswell.

But what you said was quite interesting, the part about them being prestigous but not very honourable.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 29, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »
does diplo action raise h/p? just do a p/d
firefox

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 29, 2011, 11:46:46 PM »

Well that is not the point.

A priest shouldn't have to engage in diplomatic work/battles/courtier work just to get honour/prestige so that he i.e can be elected to a council position.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 30, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »

My priest doesn't have the h/p to become a diplomat. What now?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 30, 2011, 12:29:15 AM »
Get a real job? :P

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: September 30, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »
Get a real job? :P

Says the man who plays the ruler of the biggest theocracy (and realm) in Dwilight ;)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: September 30, 2011, 03:01:52 AM »
I agree that it is a bit annoying that priests don't have any avenue to gain honor and prestige. The leader of Sanguis Astroism for quite a while was Constantine Meneldur. He became a priest about 2-3 RL months after the character was created. Since that time he has not gained a single point of honor or prestige. He's been at 19/4 for the past 3+ RL years. You'd think that being, essentially, the most powerful and influential noble on Dwilight, he'd have a chance to gain some honor and prestige....

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: September 30, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »
I agree that it is a bit annoying that priests don't have any avenue to gain honor and prestige. The leader of Sanguis Astroism for quite a while was Constantine Meneldur. He became a priest about 2-3 RL months after the character was created. Since that time he has not gained a single point of honor or prestige. He's been at 19/4 for the past 3+ RL years. You'd think that being, essentially, the most powerful and influential noble on Dwilight, he'd have a chance to gain some honor and prestige....

Amen to that.

Can't you in the Dev Team poke Tom and ask him if this has merit? :)