Author Topic: Priest - honor and prestige gaining  (Read 11650 times)

egamma

Re: Priest - honor and prestige gaining
« Reply #15: September 30, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Amen to that.

Can't you in the Dev Team poke Tom and ask him if this has merit? :)

Let them finish the new estates, and come up with a suggestion on HOW they should earn honor or prestige, and post it to the feature requests.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 01, 2011, 05:54:56 AM »
Let them finish the new estates, and come up with a suggestion on HOW they should earn honor or prestige, and post it to the feature requests.

Ok I'll start. How about a little prestige everytime a temple is upgraded? Or maybe at certain increments e.g. you get prestige if you expand it from 3 to 4, from 6 to 7 etc.

Also, prestige for for converting a noble in a private sermon?

Honour for getting bashed by commoners? (for being such a brave dude.)
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 01, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
Ok I'll start. How about a little prestige everytime a temple is upgraded? Or maybe at certain increments e.g. you get prestige if you expand it from 3 to 4, from 6 to 7 etc.

Also, prestige for for converting a noble in a private sermon?

Honour for getting bashed by commoners? (for being such a brave dude.)

Do you mean all the religions priests would get prestige for upgrading temple, because you don't need to be a priest to upgrade a temple. Also I don't know about you, but my characters would look down upon any noble that could be bested and beaten by peasants, not honour them.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 01, 2011, 09:05:38 AM »
Do you mean all the religions priests would get prestige for upgrading temple, because you don't need to be a priest to upgrade a temple. Also I don't know about you, but my characters would look down upon any noble that could be bested and beaten by peasants, not honour them.

Oh I thought you had to be a priest to upgrade a temple... I haven't been in a religion for ages.

And yeah for the commoner beatings I'm just putting stuff out there. Anyone wanna help?
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 01, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
Number of conversions.  Have it work like the current courtier support-of-realm honour/prestige gains, and just change the text to be support-of-religion.  Then give bonuses for shrine building, temple building/expanding (let everyone in the religion get those too), noble conversions, and maybe RTO's (bringing new region to the faith = good?).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 01, 2011, 12:52:14 PM »
Oh I thought you had to be a priest to upgrade a temple... I haven't been in a religion for ages.

You need to be an Elder.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 01, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
Number of conversions.  Have it work like the current courtier support-of-realm honour/prestige gains, and just change the text to be support-of-religion.  Then give bonuses for shrine building, temple building/expanding (let everyone in the religion get those too), noble conversions, and maybe RTO's (bringing new region to the faith = good?).

I like those ideas :)
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #22: October 01, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »
I would expect priests to be very prestigious--prestige is how the peasants view you, right? So preaching should get you lots of prestige.

On the other hand, honor is how nobles view, you, right? So those outside your faith probably don't care much.

Is that something you just made up?
here's how the wiki defines the two things:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Prestige

egamma

« Reply #23: October 01, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »
Is that something you just made up?
here's how the wiki defines the two things:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Prestige

Eh...I was over-simplifying things, I guess.  But you can see that defending a city, something that the peasants of that city would care about, is listed as "prestige", while fighting bravely, something that your fellow nobles would care about, is "honor".

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 11, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
I must say, I quested Tom about this two days ago. I did it because my priest thought he would be a good ruler, but found himself without the prestige enough to that position.

First of all, I thought "well, why an ellected guy would need mechanical attributes?"

Ok, the In Game thing would surely need prestige to be known on the entire realm (as BM is the only place were we can find paper made instant messages), however, basing the opportunities for people only based on things that would be rised by time and doing the stupid-boring-common hack'n slash would only limit the good players. But ok, I know I'm defeated by the major of the people who do believe that all things above the fight are only side things.

After, I quested myself about why a priest would need prestige and honour. Than I realized that a priest would need prestige to boost his preachs. Be preached by an ordinary father would have not enough effect on you than be preached by Simon, Paul, or Jesus himself. The prestige is the directly line beetwen the subject and how his is well known on the land (and after the seas). More, the prestige would influence on the effects a preacher could develop with the peasants of the area. A prestigious one should not lose followers when he would start to influence them and tell how and on what think about, or on how many peasants would follow him on an Auto-da-fé against a pagan. The people of the land would not want to envy the lord of the land by persecuting one of his knights, or some of their food producers, altought a very prestigious priest can praticly dethrone the lord.

And, in the end, I thought about honour. Then, I thought about the history of the religions. The strongly religions on the world had or have strong armies. So I thought that, despite the desire of tom to do not let priests have soldiers, but I believe that, in a world governed by wars, why a priest would want to travel without some bodyguards?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 11, 2011, 06:15:05 AM »
I must say, I quested Tom about this two days ago. I did it because my priest thought he would be a good ruler, but found himself without the prestige enough to that position.

First of all, I thought "well, why an ellected guy would need mechanical attributes?"

Ok, the In Game thing would surely need prestige to be known on the entire realm (as BM is the only place were we can find paper made instant messages), however, basing the opportunities for people only based on things that would be rised by time and doing the stupid-boring-common hack'n slash would only limit the good players. But ok, I know I'm defeated by the major of the people who do believe that all things above the fight are only side things.

After, I quested myself about why a priest would need prestige and honour. Than I realized that a priest would need prestige to boost his preachs. Be preached by an ordinary father would have not enough effect on you than be preached by Simon, Paul, or Jesus himself. The prestige is the directly line beetwen the subject and how his is well known on the land (and after the seas). More, the prestige would influence on the effects a preacher could develop with the peasants of the area. A prestigious one should not lose followers when he would start to influence them and tell how and on what think about, or on how many peasants would follow him on an Auto-da-fé against a pagan. The people of the land would not want to envy the lord of the land by persecuting one of his knights, or some of their food producers, altought a very prestigious priest can praticly dethrone the lord.

And, in the end, I thought about honour. Then, I thought about the history of the religions. The strongly religions on the world had or have strong armies. So I thought that, despite the desire of tom to do not let priests have soldiers, but I believe that, in a world governed by wars, why a priest would want to travel without some bodyguards?

The honor and prestige requirements reflect, I imagine, that you have to have some sort of name for yourself before you can run for something like ruler. However, this doesn't make sense to me. Respect and influence in this game are based almost entirely on what the other characters in the realm think of you, not upon raw mechanics (one of the things I like about it in fact). That's what wins you elections and determines how influential your character can be. In point of fact, I think that the crude mechanical requirement for positions should probably be removed, except perhaps in the rare event that someone goes into negatives. What purpose do they really serve?

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #26: October 11, 2011, 07:26:26 AM »
they may just be simple devices to prevent a new character from being instantly placed in a position of power/influence (i.e., OOC powergaming with your friends, or reinstating a player via his new character when the old one dies)

the limits are really quite low for that stuff, and not hard to reach in a few weeks (which a new char has to wait before switching class anyway)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 11, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »
I've been holding courts with my Priest character, and have yet to gain a single honor or prestige point with it. Is this deactivated for Priests, or I have not done it enough?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 11, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
The higher your H/P, the harder it is to gain H/P, especially through courts/civil/police work. I don't know what H/P your priest has, but it could be that you just haven't done enough of it yet. Also, there is still the random aspect to consider. you could be getting bad rolls.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 11, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Ah, ok. Good to know he still has the potentiality to gain the h/p. It is 33/10 btw.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).