Author Topic: Priest - honor and prestige gaining  (Read 11652 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Priest - honor and prestige gaining
« Reply #30: October 11, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
How about making H/P for priest depend on the power of their religion?

You could say a Priest with higher prestige has more followers. But that also implies that when the flock dwindles, a priest should lose prestige.

Also, in a religion, the institute has great value: priests higher in the chain (especially Elders) should always be more prestigious, even if they would do less for the faith then a regular member, for instance.

So how about giving any given religion a total amount of H/P (based on amount of followers), which is then distributed across the Priests (or even regular members) of the religion?

For example, SA has 200,000 followers (wild guess). This grants the religion a total of 1000 prestige. The cake is then divided across all layers of followers. The Founder of course gets the biggest chunk, closely followed by higher (and lower) Elders. Regular priests get less, and Aspirants get barely anything. Active promotoring nobles of the religion (non-priests) get a small bonus to their H/P, through the regular system (getting H/P for constructing a temple, for instance)

This would also allow for more internal strife, because your position directly influenced your H/P. Total H/P for any given continent would be constant, but the division between several religions would fluctuate.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: October 11, 2011, 04:30:53 PM »
How about making H/P for priest depend on the power of their religion?
(snip)

I think a system like that would make prestige H/P meaningful if it was:

-persistent
-personal
-gamewide

To elaborate:

Persistence: H/P is not something you lose suddenly. I could imagine a system where, rather than having a fixed amount of total H/P, a religion has an amount that it automatically distributes among its members each month. Then you don't suddenly get prestigious the day you join a religion, and people don't suddenly forget about you the day you leave it.

This does not mean some one-off event shouldn't trigger change. If a priests suddenly rejects his religion, it should entail a drop in H/P; but it's not as if he went back to square one. In fact, if someone joins a religion only to drop it one week later, he should be worse off then if he had not joined it.

Personal: H/P is given to the character, not to the position. This ties up with persistence. If you were a religious Elder for five years, you remain prestigious even after your retirement.

Gamewide: There is no reason why this would be tied only to religion. In-game titles such as Ambassador should yield similar benefits.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:47:22 PM by vonGenf »
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: October 11, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
Good points.

Note: my above post is not a feature request, just a reflection upon a better H/P system for Priests :) The Devs are busy as it is :P

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: October 11, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »
Good points.

Note: my above post is not a feature request, just a reflection upon a better H/P system for Priests :) The Devs are busy as it is :P

Yeah, just brainstorming and hoping it's useful.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: October 11, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Yeah, just brainstorming and hoping it's useful.

I find it compelling to redesign Battlemaster, adding 'improvements'. Almost as much fun as actually playing the game, at times :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 12, 2011, 05:41:45 AM »
they may just be simple devices to prevent a new character from being instantly placed in a position of power/influence (i.e., OOC powergaming with your friends, or reinstating a player via his new character when the old one dies)

the limits are really quite low for that stuff, and not hard to reach in a few weeks (which a new char has to wait before switching class anyway)

Those were my thoughts.

Cheap to kill the enemy ruler, and to see him create a new character and get elected right back into office as if nothing ever happened.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 12, 2011, 08:34:43 AM »
I think a system like that would make prestige H/P meaningful if it was:

-persistent
-personal
-gamewide

To elaborate:

Persistence: H/P is not something you lose suddenly. I could imagine a system where, rather than having a fixed amount of total H/P, a religion has an amount that it automatically distributes among its members each month. Then you don't suddenly get prestigious the day you join a religion, and people don't suddenly forget about you the day you leave it.

This does not mean some one-off event shouldn't trigger change. If a priests suddenly rejects his religion, it should entail a drop in H/P; but it's not as if he went back to square one. In fact, if someone joins a religion only to drop it one week later, he should be worse off then if he had not joined it.

Personal: H/P is given to the character, not to the position. This ties up with persistence. If you were a religious Elder for five years, you remain prestigious even after your retirement.

Gamewide: There is no reason why this would be tied only to religion. In-game titles such as Ambassador should yield similar benefits.

These are nice clarifications I think. I also wanna add that there needs to be some limit to how much someone can get from religion... just so we don't see character walking around with 100 prestige. Perhaps there can be a roof cap of something like 50 so once you reach you get no more benefit each month.

Also the size of your religion not only affects the amount of you get each monthy but also the roof cap e.g. a small religion (temples) would have a roof cap of like 5 or something? To increase this roof cap it should be kind of painful... maybe like 1/2 a prestige point per temple or something of equivalent difficulty measuring the amount of followers (peasant.)

The above would apply only to priests and moreso to elders.
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 20, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
Anyone knows if telling tales as a Hero gives Honor/Prestige as holding courts or doing civil, police, courtier or diplomat work? My character is a Priest/Hero, and could use some more Prestige.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).