Author Topic: Map of the South  (Read 5361 times)

Zakilevo

Map of the South
« Topic Start: September 30, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »
It is kinda small. I will try to make it bigger tomorrow. Some feedback will be nice :)

http://postimage.org/image/kdes69dw/

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Map of the South
« Reply #1: September 30, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
Cannot connect to database

:(

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 30, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
It is kinda small. I will try to make it bigger tomorrow. Some feedback will be nice :)

http://postimage.org/image/kdes69dw/

I dunno, I was expecting something more continental, with some islands around the edges.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 30, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
I dunno, I was expecting something more continental, with some islands around the edges.
I have to agree with this. My impression is that the SM3 world is a big north-south oriented continent, with a separate group of islands known as the Colonies.

Was anyone able to open that sample map Tom provided? Even a low-res screen screen shot would be enough to get some idea of the general shape of things.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: September 30, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »
ehh that is only the south. The program I am using won't allow me to make a huge map. I have to make separate maps.

So everyone wants something more continental? I am still new to this program so I need to try a couple more things.

P.S I am also trying to avoid putting too much detail into the map. So people can add their own stuff instead of me adding every single little details.

P.S And can someone direct me to Tom's map as well?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 05:20:57 PM by Zakilevo »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 30, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
ehh that is only the south. The program I am using won't allow me to make a huge map. I have to make separate maps.

Well, what we're saying is that the south shouldn't be separated from the north.  They should be part of the same continent.  If you can do that while still making separate maps, that's fine ;-)

Personally, I was seeing the Colonies as being more a political than an obvious geographic distinction: just places in the wilds between the South and the North that have been recolonized following the devastation.  I had seen the islands as being off the east coast of the mainland, scattered all along from the South to the North, with some of them falling under the designations of all three areas.

Here's a (very very) rough sketch of my general mental picture of the lands:
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ironsun

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 30, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
Here is a  screenshot of Tom's  civ5 map. Hope that helps.  :) http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/File:SME_map.JPG 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:03:26 PM by Ironsun »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 30, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
Here is a  screenshot of Tom's  civ5 map. Hope that helps.  :) http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/File:SME_map.JPG

Aha, thanks.  That's quite a bit different than what I had thought :)
Timothy Collett

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: September 30, 2011, 07:30:38 PM »
huh.. The North is not even a continent? It is just a couple islands huh..

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 30, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »

My eyes were instantly drawn to the wasteland in the north on that northern island in the middle - I think Kalan just found his home.

Shallow water with no land on the east and west sides screams "ship wreck area" to me.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: September 30, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »
That map I made was actually... well.. ignore the western continents, I was thinking of the eastern ones only. And remember that is not a finished map, it was intended as a start.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: September 30, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »
Well, that makes a bit more sense. :)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: October 01, 2011, 02:59:34 AM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:26:22 AM by Zakilevo »

Ironsun

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 01, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »
Well that's quite different, but i like it. :-)

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm