Author Topic: Hero's honor/troop recruitment  (Read 8764 times)

Jens Namtrah

Hero's honor/troop recruitment
« Topic Start: October 02, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
These may both already be in the code, but I'd like to see as an advantage for heros:

1) more honor in battles than other nobles (since they lead from the front)

or

2) ability to recruit larger troops than a Warrior class

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Hero's honor/troop recruitment
« Reply #1: October 02, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
You find both of these in the cavalier subclass, I believe.

I honestly wouldn't mind a merger of the two, though. Cavalier is a kinda pointless subclass imo.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: October 02, 2011, 09:54:05 PM »
ehh cavalier allows you to get more cavalry units? I think hero and cavalier classes should stay as they are now.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 02, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
The cavalier recruiting bonus is for both cavalry and SF.

I *think* heroes get a similar bonus. Should be easy enough to check.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 02, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »
ehh cavalier allows you to get more cavalry units? I think hero and cavalier classes should stay as they are now.

I don't really see the point of that class, though, cause gold is way more of a limiting factor to the number of men you can recruit than honor is, especially for these cavalry units (since you won't go buying  cheap cavalry).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: October 03, 2011, 12:05:59 AM »
Well cavaliers gain a lot of honour. That is pretty much it for them. As long as you do not fight militia, you gain at least one honour from any battle.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 03, 2011, 12:11:18 AM »
I don't really see the point of that class, though, cause gold is way more of a limiting factor to the number of men you can recruit than honor is, especially for these cavalry units (since you won't go buying  cheap cavalry).

Only point I've found is really RP or getting to TO unit levels fast.  I'll be interested to see what Tom's ideas on reforming H/P will be, but I think the main problem is that both of those things should be, in large part, determined by players with no real way for the game to figure it out that isn't prone to abuse.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 03, 2011, 12:20:30 AM »
cavalier
So don't do it unless you are a Duke, or have access to a nice large amount of gold. I've certainly seen cavalier's that are well funded enough to max out their unit, though I always dispute the utility of very large units.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 03, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Cavalier really comes into it's own when mixed with the courtier class, as courtier's desperately need honour to field useful units and the troop bonus is applied across the board for a cavalier, which means that a C/C can field at least 20 men.

If you have a loosely controlled area with archers or MI, you can control and upkeep a sizable chunk without the need for army support.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 03, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »
Cavalier really comes into it's own when mixed with the courtier class, as courtier's desperately need honour to field useful units and the troop bonus is applied across the board for a cavalier, which means that a C/C can field at least 20 men.

If you have a loosely controlled area with archers or MI, you can control and upkeep a sizable chunk without the need for army support.

That is a terrible reason to select a class.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 03, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
It depends on the situation. I've had a character in the past who recruited as much decent Cavalry as he could command as a Cavalier. I now have another character that recruits as much good Cavalry as she can (Although, granted, she's still new-ish and thus has lowish Honour). The latter would make a perfect Cavalier, which she will soon be. I say there's still enough opportunity around for the Cavalier class, beyond the RP value.

egamma

« Reply #11: October 03, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
That is a terrible reason to select a class.

So...you shouldn't select Priest for the preaching? or Diplomat for raising loyalty? Or Courtier for survey work/repairs?

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: October 03, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »
So...you shouldn't select Priest for the preaching? or Diplomat for raising loyalty? Or Courtier for survey work/repairs?

Selecting a sub class to try and overcome the deliberate weaknesses of the main class is in my opinion poor form and comes close to power gamming. IE you are doing it for no other reason then to "max" a certain number. There are plenty of good reasons to have a courtier/Cavalier, this is just not one of them in my opinion.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: October 04, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »
I think cavalier is a great class.

In PeL on Dwilight, we had a noble RP seeking acceptance into the society of Cavaliers of our realm, as those who are cavaliers are "highly honorable" and thus could be seen as a select group. Of course, Game Mechanics wise and IR wise we couldn't and wouldn't deny them, but RP wise it made great sense and worked extremely well to provide positive RP for the realm and our characters. Not to mention it is really fun to be able to lead a unit of 80+ Cavalry or Special Forces into battle. And yes, funding can be found for these especially when a Duke or otherwise. And you don't have to be a greedy duke to do it if you've been a cavalier forever and slowly build up the size of your unit. IT tends not to get destroyed very much outright on Dwilight anyway if your military is smart.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 04, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
I think cavalier is a great class.

In PeL on Dwilight, we had a noble RP seeking acceptance into the society of Cavaliers of our realm, as those who are cavaliers are "highly honorable" and thus could be seen as a select group. Of course, Game Mechanics wise and IR wise we couldn't and wouldn't deny them, but RP wise it made great sense and worked extremely well to provide positive RP for the realm and our characters. Not to mention it is really fun to be able to lead a unit of 80+ Cavalry or Special Forces into battle. And yes, funding can be found for these especially when a Duke or otherwise. And you don't have to be a greedy duke to do it if you've been a cavalier forever and slowly build up the size of your unit. IT tends not to get destroyed very much outright on Dwilight anyway if your military is smart.

If I didn't already have such a nice unit, I'd probably be pushing for an 85 SF man unit right now :D