Author Topic: Ritual  (Read 4976 times)

Zakilevo

Ritual
« Topic Start: October 03, 2011, 05:33:23 AM »
So Ironsun and I are trying to perform a ritual but we have no idea how to coordinate this.

Can one of the GMs explain how rituals work in details? The description in the SM only mentions things about components.

The parser won't recognize things like two casters cooperating..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:35:41 AM by Zakilevo »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Ritual
« Reply #1: October 03, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
True, you will have to cast independently, and then consider the cooperation for the time only, as outlined under "teamwork".

How exactly you work together is left to your own ingenuity. Just roleplay something nice.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: October 05, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »
Hmm. Astalos and Saniel want to use Control/Mind on the book they found which has something sealed in it. Astalos has only 1 in Control and 10 in Mind while Saniel has something like 3~4 in Control and 7 in Mind. So how will it work? If we are trying to use 4/2/3 = PL of 24, according to the formula 576 hours over lower of intent or base? Then what is the point of working together when I only have level 1 Control anyway? It won't change the time required to perform the ritual. Shouldn't performing a ritual be a bit more quicker? Instead of taking the lowest number, why not take the highest? Even later in the game, we still need significant time to perform a ritual due to the fact we have to square the power level.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: October 06, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
I see the page is unclear.

Basically, the important value is min(Base, Intent). If you work together, the value is min(sum(Bases), sum(Intents)).

So, in your example, add up your skill values - together, you have Control 4-5 and Mind 17. Since Control is the lower value, use that (4 or 5). Assuming it's 4, so the time required is 24*24/4 = 144 hours.

You may want to check what other things you can do to reduce the ritual time. :-)

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: October 06, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
I think we need some values to give us a clear idea. Or can we even RP this as well?

If I need 100 hours for my ritual, can I just say since I am surrounded by runes, I can reduce this by half?

That would be too much wouldn't it?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: October 07, 2011, 12:06:35 AM »
It's all there. Components raise the effective skill levels. So if we count the runes, your effective Control (the lower) value my rise by a few points. Let's say 4 points. That would bring the total time down to 72 hours.

I may have been a bit extreme with the ritual times. :-)

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: October 07, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
I think so. Should lower it a little? If we keep the current formula, it might take too long to cast 1000 PL. We should at least be able to cast it within a year.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 07, 2011, 02:52:20 AM »
I think so. Should lower it a little? If we keep the current formula, it might take too long to cast 1000 PL. We should at least be able to cast it within a year.

Gets LOTS and LOTS of components :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: October 07, 2011, 02:54:06 AM »
I AM NOT GOING TO CARRY THREE METRIC TONS OF BAGS FULL OF INGREDIENTS !

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: October 07, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
I AM NOT GOING TO CARRY THREE METRIC TONS OF BAGS FULL OF INGREDIENTS !

No, but for that 1000 PL spell, you better get yourself a city full of followers, a hundred virgins to sacrifice, and a massive public display.

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: October 07, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
Tom. If I need that many sacrifices, I would probably make my guy become some kind of a prophet and spread a fanatic religion to make people willingly sacrifice themselves. :) Of course with some mind altering magics to help me do so.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: October 07, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »
Tom. If I need that many sacrifices, I would probably make my guy become some kind of a prophet and spread a fanatic religion to make people willingly sacrifice themselves. :) Of course with some mind altering magics to help me do so.

Or you could just make do with less extreme magic. That's a 10-10-10 spell - basically, the bible contains maybe five of those. :)

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: October 07, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
LOL indeed. The bible does have some big scale rituals :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: October 08, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
LOL indeed. The bible does have some big scale rituals :)
I was talking more effects. The 7 plagues are probably on the order of magnitude of a 1000 PL ritual.

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: October 08, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »
1k PL magic seems like it can easily change even the world. It would be very interesting to see rituals happening once the game launches - which isn't going to happen any time soon!.