Author Topic: Eastern Half of the South  (Read 8936 times)

Zakilevo

Eastern Half of the South
« Topic Start: October 04, 2011, 01:23:57 AM »
This is the eastern half of the south map. I will eventually try and put all the maps together once I finish the whole thing with photoshop or something.

http://postimage.org/image/21kznfkzo/

Give me some feedback :D

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Half of the South
« Reply #1: October 04, 2011, 01:54:14 AM »
Remind me which map this is based off? There's been so many thrown about that I'm a little lost as to where to place this.

Also, self referencing? BAD ZAK! BAD! :P

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: October 04, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »
LOL! That map is still not done yet. This map is based on this map.

http://postimage.org/image/1mkbu8zlw/

Might change the name of Zakilum :( Darn it thought I could fool you people!

P.S It has been done :P It has been renamed to Bezhalta.  :'(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:14:52 AM by Zakilevo »

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: October 04, 2011, 05:36:30 AM »
Maybe later on when we start forming councils,

I might edit the maps so each council can have their own place in the world. Well of course if Tom allows it.

Don't count on it. :D

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: October 04, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
If you want a place in the world, you have to make it. We won't be pre-building it.

The map starts to look adequate (yes, my standards are high). There's a couple stamping errors in it, and it could use a bit more variety, but in general I'm happily surprised at how well it's turning out.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 04, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
If the rest of the map is going to have as many cities as this, then I think it'll end up much too busy as it'll have around 20 cities. Personally I'd rather see 1 larger city in that area with some smaller towns and then innumerable villages (no need to show those on the map as we can just make them up as and when we need them). The same applies for each part of the map. But then, this is your map, not mine, so if you want to make it busy then you can make it busy :)

A few things that I noticed immediately:

1) 5 of the cities/towns have rivers through them, the only exception being the desert city. Whilst I realise cities should be founded near a source of water, it just seems a bit repetitive to me. Perhaps instead some of them should be have nearby lakes instead of rivers cutting through them?

2) Your rivers seem to come from the ocean. My knowledge of how rivers work may be off, but I thought they ran down hill from mountains, because if they came from the ocean then they rely heavily on tides and can't spread very far or cut out the landscape? You don't actually have any rivers coming down from the mountains which seems a little odd to me (or is the one between Zakilum and Maetir supposed to come from the mountain?)

3) The desert just seems placed, not natural. A desert seems to indicate a hot landscape, but it's in the middle of two temperate bits of land. This either means that the north island is temperate/frozen, or the amount of magic in the world is messing things up (and I'd rather not use that as a reason).

4) Can you have a desert so close to the ocean without having trees and other greenery? I thought the presence of water usually meant that green things could grow?

Overall, it just seems much too busy. I'd much prefer you modelled the whole map at the same time and said "this bit is desert with a city around here", "this bit is frozen with no large city, only many small towns". Basically guiding the map, instead of stating where everything is.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: October 04, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
1) I will probably adjust the size of cities now that I know photoshop can enlarge this map very well.

2) rivers do not come from the ocean obviously. I can connect all the rivers to the mountains if that is what you want.

3) Deserts do not appear out of no where. The desert is there because it is on the line of the tropic of Capricorn. The north will have some deserts as well as it will be on the tropic of Cancer. The colonies will in the equatorial zone - hot, humid, jungle etc. I might connect the mountains to make it look like the eastern part of the continental plate is pushing into the western part.

4)Middle East?

I probably named cities a bit too many. I will only be naming 3-4 major cities in the south, 1-2 cities in the colonies and none of the north.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: November 04, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
This hasn't gone anywhere, has it?

I have a map made in AoW2 that expresses what I want the world to look like. Should I upload it somewhere?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 04, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
This hasn't gone anywhere, has it?

I have a map made in AoW2 that expresses what I want the world to look like. Should I upload it somewhere?

Yes please! :D ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: November 04, 2011, 05:25:46 PM »
Yeah. I've been mostly working on the north but I think I will just scrap all my work and work with AoW2 map editor. Much easier and faster.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: November 04, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
ok, see the other topic I just posted.

Zakilevo

« Reply #11: November 06, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
ekk. I don't know why but I started my map in the corner.. It is going to be very hard for me to combine maps like you did Tom ROFL dumb me.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: November 07, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
Try comparing this with the old map I posted here. This one doesn't have any cities yet.

http://postimage.org/image/73g54cmex/

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: November 08, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
Try comparing this with the old map I posted here. This one doesn't have any cities yet.

http://postimage.org/image/73g54cmex/

Too much variation for my taste. Forests have more than 5 trees, and don't change their tree type all the time. :-)

How about we all work on one map?

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: November 08, 2011, 01:28:04 AM »
I don't know Tom. I guess we can all work on the same map but I do not like your colony part of the map. The islands seem a bit too big. You can send me your map if you want me work on it :D.