Author Topic: Perceive Ritual  (Read 3132 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Perceive Ritual
« Topic Start: October 04, 2011, 05:40:39 AM »
I'm looking for some opinions here. I am starting a Northern Earth Shaman. The starting idea is he is on some sort of vision quest. As part of that quest I intended for him to use Earth/Perceive rituals to guide him. He is RPing this as being guided by the earth spirits.

The question is, what are the Effect and Targets for such a spell? I was thinking 3/2 figuring that the spell should generate a strong desire for him to travel in a certain direction, and the spell affects only him. However I guess the other way to look at it is with a larger Target with the rationale that the target is whatever location he is to be drawn to. What do people think?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Perceive Ritual
« Reply #1: October 04, 2011, 06:17:53 AM »
I'd say you are heading down the right road. 

You might even contemplate Mind/Perceive as the alternate running it as being able to "see" the spirits - that is, his mind's perception is altered to allow him to see the spirit world.

2/2/4 might be an alternate here - the long long duration is the side effect, in that you risk losing yourself almost in the spirit world (or have problems dealing with people because well, there are spirits everywhere they can't see).   Reduced "urge", since Vision quests tend to be voluntary anyway, but the length of them is the real risk.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 04, 2011, 06:31:45 AM »
I'd say you are heading down the right road. 

You might even contemplate Mind/Perceive as the alternate running it as being able to "see" the spirits - that is, his mind's perception is altered to allow him to see the spirit world.

2/2/4 might be an alternate here - the long long duration is the side effect, in that you risk losing yourself almost in the spirit world (or have problems dealing with people because well, there are spirits everywhere they can't see).   Reduced "urge", since Vision quests tend to be voluntary anyway, but the length of them is the real risk.

Mmm yes a true vision quest might be a mind base, though I hope not in this case, I don't have any skill with mind magic. I was hoping for a instant effect, a feeling of being draw in a certain direction. Once I arrive at the destination I expect to have a few little adventures and probably go on a true vision quest.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 04, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »

Mmm yes a true vision quest might be a mind base, though I hope not in this case, I don't have any skill with mind magic. I was hoping for a instant effect, a feeling of being draw in a certain direction. Once I arrive at the destination I expect to have a few little adventures and probably go on a true vision quest.

Perhaps a 2/3/2 then with Earth/Percieve - he gains a direction from the earth element, maybe sees energy or gains a sense of something in the earth far away in a certain direction, but the feeling lingers for a short while then disappears.  The compulsion would want to be low along with the duration as its intended to "guide" rather than force.

A sort of "pick up the rock or touch the tree" and gain a sense that something important to the region is nearby in a general direction.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: October 04, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
For Perceive, the Base indicates what the target of your perception is - otherwise, all Perceive spells would be Mind.

So an Earth/Perceive spell would allow you to "feel" the earth, its composition, plants growing, etc. - but a bird flying around in the area would be unnoticed.

Like transportation, a "remote perception" spell would need its Effect set based on the distance and area you want to cover. See http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/notes .

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 04, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
For Perceive, the Base indicates what the target of your perception is - otherwise, all Perceive spells would be Mind.

So an Earth/Perceive spell would allow you to "feel" the earth, its composition, plants growing, etc. - but a bird flying around in the area would be unnoticed.

Like transportation, a "remote perception" spell would need its Effect set based on the distance and area you want to cover. See http://lemuria.org/SM3/welcome/notes .

Thanks Tom, my concept was basically he will be taking something akin to a astrological reading, but based on the "feel"of the local environmental.